Last post on Nov 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM
You are in the Hyundai Elantra
What is this discussion about?
Hyundai Elantra, Gasoline, Sedan
#1 of 12 2013 Elantra millage problem
Dec 05, 2012 (11:00 am)
About the Elantra Car:
- I bought Hyundai Elantra 2013 in June (I didnt have great sales person to work with, I think my problem started there itself)
- From the beginning I didn't get great millage & had break issue. I was getting 25-26 in combined. After they fix the break issue, I have been getting 23-24. I am very much frustrated.
About Dealership service/sales peoples:
- Sales person i had got was a crape guy. I was about to walked out, the only reason i bought the car was, they had traded my old(Corolla) in a decent amount, that is where i made a mistake. I regret now!!
- First time i went to the service within 30 days of purchase with the SMOOTHNESS OF THE CAR, BREAK, Key Less lock issues. Service person wasn't friendly and immediately he declined my issues. Somewhat i forced him to look at the car, after one hour they said no issues with the car.
- Second time when i went for OIL change, I told about my millage issue, smoothness. This time they fixed my BREAK issue (reported earlier). After this service my millage reduced into 23-24 MPG combined.
- Next time I showed them the proof of millage which I collected all document about the millage (taking a picture of odometer, gas receipt). I again complained about SMOOTHNESS, KEYLESS LOCK issues with the millage issue. They agreed to do the millage test (which i need fill the gas out of my pocket). They took 1 FULL day & called me saying, "we did all check up and ROAD test, your vehicle is working as designed". Note that this time they fixed my KEY LESS LOCK issue. I was very disappointed/frustrated. When i tried to take out of the service, i noticed there were not ROAD test been done in the car. When i asked about this, now they are saying, "We don't need to do the road test".
*** As i said I am really frustrated.. How about other 2013 Elantra Owners? Do you have any of my issues? Please share it with me.. It will be helpful to move forward what i can do. I appreciate in advance
Dec 20, 2012 (3:38 am)
I feel the pain... it's the same problem with the 2012. I have never gotten more than 23 or 24 combined. I was also driving a Corolla (2009), the only reason I bought this car was for the gas mileage. Here I am a year and 11,000 miles later still hoping my mileage will get better. This has been the biggest mistake I've made as far as cars go...I heard Hyundai has changed their estimates and are reimbursing owners for mileage differences, but not by any meaningful amounts. Go check out the 2012 real mpg thread.
#3 of 12 Re: Just bad [knocker81]
Jan 08, 2013 (2:34 pm)
After every fill-up, reset your MPH calculation and post your avg MPH as reported by your car's computer.
The EPA tests do not account for severe stop-n-go conditions. I'll bet you're driving a lot more city/stop-n-go than you realize. The more city/stop-n-go you drive, the worse your overall MPG.
#4 of 12 Re: 2013 Elantra millage problem [catr]
Feb 19, 2013 (2:01 pm)
I am in the same situation. Very frustrated with these guys. I use to drive a VW but went a different route with this car. They say you get 58 MPG. Ya right. wish I never walked into the door. I said from day one that my mileage was off. They kept giving me excuses. Now that it is out that they have admitted the mileage mistake. I looked around and found that in Canada ( London Ontario ) their is a lawsuit going on with the situation. Could take up to three years but would be worth it. I think it was Toyota that payed out millions back to customers for a lawsuit on them. My understanding their is no lawsuit in the states yet. You should look into it. I'm assuming you are from the states sorry if you are not.
I drive all highway at 100 km/h and only get anywhere from 490km - 550km a tank. Which really is pathetic.
#5 of 12 Re: 2013 Elantra millage problem [catr]
Mar 09, 2013 (11:49 am)
I have the same issue too. I just bought the 2013 Elantra Limited 2 weeks ago (2/23/2013). I use that mainly to commute between Vancouver WA and Portland OR. I am only getting 26 mpgs, which I was expecting to be around 30+.
Should I call the number on Hyundai's website and complain about it, or?
I just don't know what I can do when an auto company lies their valued customers.
#6 of 12 Re: 2013 Elantra millage problem
Mar 11, 2013 (10:41 am)
Calling Hyndai's customer support sucks!! they won't help you. They will create a case and give you the case #. That is all....
Since you bought recently, go back to your dealer and complain. You have some right till 30 days. Good luck to you
By the by I am in the process of getting legal advice and i probably go to court. I am collecting all sort of information/evidence about the millage. I may or may not win.. But I am really going to the court for sure... not to get 1m out of it.
#7 of 12 Re: 2013 Elantra millage problem [catr]
Mar 13, 2013 (6:04 pm)
OMG I think I just made a big MISTAKE. I bought a 2013 Elantra GLS two weeks ago and I am not getting aware need the posted milage. I bought this car because I wanted to save some money on fuel, well that is not going to happen. I am so madd I need to know what to do about this. If there is a class action lawsuit in Canada I want to signon. I will be talking to the dealer I bought the car from tomorrow but I don't expect they will take their car back. I can't believe the posted fuel economy Hyundai is claiming on these vehicles, it is nothing remotely close to what you actually get. This is criminal and Hyundai should be made to pay up!! Shame Shame Shame on you Hyundai!!!
#8 of 12 2013 Elantra GT bad mileage
Sep 16, 2013 (5:40 pm)
I too am very disappointed. I have 3900 miles on my 2013 Elantra GT and if I go thru a whole tank local driving only I get about 18mpg. If I drive some highway I might get 22. If I drive all highway I get about 30. I drive normally, without hard acceleration or hard breaking. Dealer seems uninterested. Not sure what my next step will be. I'm only in a 2 year lease so at least I don't own this terrible car.
#9 of 12 Excellent Elantra mpg
Oct 27, 2013 (6:39 pm)
I encourage people with poor Elantra mpg to first, pump your tires to over 35psi. Second, go to pure-gas.org which lists 7500 sources for 100% gasoline(ethanol-free). There are many restrictions, the greatest is that ethanol-free gasoline is NOT available in many large cities. Carefully look for unadvertised gas at airports which may be behind buildings & at marinas on small fuel docks, where you may have to carry 5 gallon gas containers. Third, very very carefully feather-foot your gas pedal from a stop. If you see the front of your car rise up on its shocks, that is too much acceleration. The first motion must be forward, not upward.
#10 of 12 Re: 2013 Elantra millage problem [bdm1970]
Oct 30, 2013 (11:48 am)
Well, I agree with all of you on the mpg problem! Maybe a lawsuit is the way. I have a 2013 Elantra at 1900 miles and only getting about 22 mpg with all stop and go big city traffic. The dealers told me to wait until the car is broken in or about 10,000 miles. That is totally unacceptable.
I am also on the other Elantra forum on the internet.
Are you people still getting such low mpg now?