Last post on Feb 05, 2012 at 7:36 PM
You are in the Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan
What is this discussion about?
Chrysler Town and Country, Van
#1 of 3 So frustrated with this vehicle (2008 Town & Country)
Jan 23, 2012 (6:25 pm)
I can't decide if the issues I'm having with my vehicle are just a fluke or common? As with everyone else, I too have had to replace my brakes at 50k. Not sure if this was the first time they have been replaced or not as I purchased the car used with 40k on it.
Issue #1 - Oil consumption. This car burns a ton of oil. I did the oil consumption test and found that my car burns 2 3/4 quarts per 3,000 miles and Chrysler says this is normal. How can this be??? I've never owned a car that burned oil. Of course, I've never owned a Chrysler before.
Issue #2 - Sliding doors don't shut with the button most times and bounce right back open. The tracks are clean and nothing is in the way. This gets to be such a nuisance.
Issue #3 - I live in a cold weather climate. When the temperature gets below freezing my side doors freeze shut. I love having my kids have to climb in and out the front door. I've been to the auto parts stores and their best suggestion is to spray with a Mr. Wrench Dry Lube. Done that and they still freeze shut.
Issue #4 - Front wheel bearings went. Had both replaced today.
Issue #5 - Power steering line is leaking. Going to cost me another $242 to get that fixed.
Issue #6 - Overhead storage compartments rattle like mad.
Overall so frustrated with this vehicle. Has anyone else experienced problems like these? I don't know if I should cut my losses and move on.
#2 of 3 Re: So frustrated with this vehicle (2008 Town & Country) [danemich]
Jan 26, 2012 (3:47 pm)
Ours has already had to have new brakes and new tires. We have been having the oil consumption problems and Chrysler insists that this is normal consumption, although we went 3000 miles between oil changes and our oil tank was DRY. We just had to spend $300 for some sensor b/c the check engine light was on.
We are thinking of trading it in b/c we are afraid of the problems we are likely to face.
#3 of 3 Re: So frustrated with this vehicle (2008 Town & Country) [danemich]
Feb 05, 2012 (7:36 pm)
Join the club!
1) Had front and rear brakes replaced twice.
2) All four tires replaced for premature wear with 30k
3) Passenger side sliding door replaced 4 times!!! Yes I said 4 times!
4) My sliding doors have frozen shut a few times too. Especially when it rains and then the temp drops
5) Overhead rattles too - the whole car rattles like a old pickup truck when its cold
6) Driver seat switch broke with the seat folded foward so the van had to be towed to the dealership
7) Driver side window seal replaced
8) lost track of all the recalls
9) air conditioner barely is enough, anyone in the 3rd row roasts to death
10) In the process of doing an oil consumption test after 2 oil leaks!
11) Gear shift stuck in park, and had to be towed. The button broke.
I just filed lemon law with a lawyer that specializes in lemon law. I'm not sure what will happen since I was suppose to do it before 24,000 miles and now I have 34,000. But since I have had the sliding door fixed 3 times before the 24,000 I might have a case. I was advised I may not be able to recoup the total cost of the van, but might receive a cash settlement.