Last post on Jan 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM
You are in the Mazda3
What is this discussion about?
Mazda MAZDA3, Transmission, Sedan
#1 of 15 Mazda3 High Mileage (2004-2009)
Dec 23, 2011 (2:40 am)
Hi, everyone, I am doing a survey to see how many miles can Mazda 3 get before it dies.
If you can, please report the status of your Mazda3.
3. Auto/Manual Transmission
4. Transmission repaired? If yes, at what mileage? New or rebuilt?
#2 of 15 My 2005 Mazda3 S 2.3L
Dec 23, 2011 (2:48 am)
NB: When cold start, the shifting 1st to 2nd gear jerks. Is this the sign of transmission going bad?
#3 of 15 Re: Mazda3 High Mileage (2004-2009) [jpeng709]
Dec 30, 2011 (5:23 pm)
3. Manual Transmission
4. 3rd issue (slips out of gear) at ~160k, replaced with used trans
5. Engine noise at 166k, dealer says lifters or timing chain (likely) and advised to replace with used rather than repair (teardown to diagnose ~$1k)
NOTES: Replacement transmission shifts more smoothly than the original ever did; car has hit redline at least once per day for the past 5+ years and has required no major repairs.
#4 of 15 Re: Mazda3 High Mileage (2004-2009) [irguy]
Mar 16, 2012 (3:53 pm)
Wow,,, you really have got high millage on it. How much did you pay for used Transmission? It's nice to have Manual Transmission, repairing cost is much lower than auto.
I just send mine to Mazda dealer, they flashed PCM and transmission fluid. But still feel little shift shock 1st to 2nd gear when its cold, its gets better when it's warmed up. and the dealer quoted me a new transmission for $3.5k.
NO more getting auto transmission on Mazda cars, really like the 3 series, but their transmission really bothers me.
May 17, 2012 (11:41 am)
1. Year 2005
2. Mileage 161,000
3. Auto/Manual Transmission Manual 5sp
4. Transmission repaired? If yes, at what mileage? New or rebuilt? Origianl transmission and clutch; has had four different drivers, two teenagers
#6 of 15 Re: Mazda3 High Mileage (2004-2009) [jpeng709]
May 19, 2012 (7:12 pm)
1. 2007 Mazdaspeed 3
3. Manual(as it should be)
4. Absolutely no issues; I run Ford Synthetic Manual Transmission Oil and change it every 30,000 miles.
#7 of 15 Re: Mazda3 High Mileage (2004-2009) [irguy]
Jul 02, 2012 (9:53 am)
I am shopping for a used Mazda3. I drove an 06 and the clutch (which had been recently replaced) didn't engage until the very end of it's travel. Does that seem normal. Thanks.
#8 of 15 Re: Mazda3 High Mileage (2004-2009) [roadburner]
Jul 02, 2012 (9:56 am)
Same question for you please. Thanks.
#9 of 15 Re: Mazda3 High Mileage (2004-2009) [jfish5]
Jul 05, 2012 (7:01 pm)
In the case of my Mazdaspeed 3 the clutch pedal engagement height is normal but the engagement itself is very abrupt- not all that progressive. From published tests and drives of other MS3s I've concluded that the "digital" clutch action is just the nature of the beast.
#10 of 15 Re: Mazda3 High Mileage (2004-2009) [jpeng709]
Jul 16, 2012 (4:43 am)
1. 2007 2.3 s 5-door
3. Auto Transmission
4. Transmission repaired? No, though I get a hard shift between 3rd and 4th when accelerating hard.
You didn't ask about other issues, but I had alternator failure at 115k miles which disabled the car and required a tow to the shop and $700 repair bill.
Otherwise a very fun and reliable car with 35 mpg hwy.