Last post on Jan 02, 2011 at 12:59 PM
You are in the Chrysler Town & Country/Dodge Grand Caravan
What is this discussion about?
Chrysler Town and Country, Dodge, Van
#1 of 2 BE PERSISTENT! RE: 2008 T&C / Caravan Issues
Jun 04, 2010 (6:25 am)
I initially referenced this website when searching for evidence that there are others experiencing issues with '08 T&C brakes. And obviously there are based on the numerous postings.
However, I just wanted to let you all know that if you stay persistent and patient you can get your issues addressed for FREE. Once again the key is patience. It will be a time consuming and frustrating process, but it can happen.
Below is the list of issues that I have had my 2008 T&Cs:
1. Brake shutter; condition existed after 1,000 miles
2. A/C NOT functioning
3. Brake whine / Excessive dust; condition existed after the shutter issue was addressed
4. Brake / Rotor life expectancy
5. Side doors failing to shut consistently
6. Driver's side window will not go up
7. Exhaust pinging / popping after shut down
Below is how the issues were handled / addressed:
Issue 1 - Brake shutter
- Condition existed at 9K so the dealer checked the brakes and turned down the rotors for free
Issue 2 - A/C NOT functioning
- A/C discharge line failed at appx. 14K and was replaced for free
Issue 3 - Brake whine / excessive brake dust
- Brought the vehicle back to the dealer prior to the 1yr / 12K warranty expired and was told everything was "normal"
- At 15K contacted Chrysler and a Top Care Manager from the Customer Assistance Center was assigned to investigate the issues with my T&C
- Scheduled an appointment at a dealership and Chrysler sent out a manufacturing representative to review the vehicle; at that time they replaced all the brakes and rotors for free
- NOTE 1: Chrysler did make a design change for the 2009 model year; that means they know there were/are issues
- NOTE 2: Chrysler also released an even better front brake pad through Mopar called Value Lines or V-lines (made by Hitachi)
Issue 4 - Brake / Rotor Life Expectancy
- After the Chrysler rep.'s inspection they voluntarily replaced the front pads and rotors
- I requested they replace them with the Value Lines
- I also requested they replaced the rear brakes and rotors as well
- All brake pads and rotors were replaced for free
Issue 5 - Side doors failing to shut consistently
- Chrysler re-flashed the vehicle software and hopefully this will address the issue; no issues to this point
Issue 6 - Driver's side window will not go up
- Issue was not re-created, but there is a change to the door glass seal which may help resolve the issue; change to be made in July '10
Issue 7 - Exhaust pinging / popping after shut down
- There is not an official re-call, but dealers are aware that an issue exists; the exhaust was replaced at 13K for free
- This issue was not on same vehicle as the previous 6 issues, however, it was on another '08 T&C that we leased
The moral of the story is that you, the customer, should not be responsible for picking up the tab for poor quality designs and manufacturing. Be persistent and find a way to get in touch with a Top Care Manager in Customer Assistance Group located at the headquarters in Auburn Hills, MI
I hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!
#2 of 2 Re: BE PERSISTENT! RE: 2008 T&C / Caravan Issues [natkat1]
Jan 02, 2011 (12:59 pm)
I'm having a serious problem with my rear brakes, anyway to get in touch with you?