Last post on Jul 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM
You are in the Lexus RX 300/330/350
What is this discussion about?
Mercedes-Benz M-Class, Acura MDX, Lexus RX 330, BMW X5, Cadillac SRX, Toyota Highlander, Volvo XC90, SUV
#1046 of 1084 Re: RX350 vs. XC90 [23109vc]
Jan 30, 2007 (9:31 am)
Your biggest problem is that the RX does not have a third row--like you are looking for "occasionally".
How much research have you been able to do?
If you are looking for vehicles with a third row, here are some of your best choices--based on reviews in the press:
There are more.
The Volvo third row is not likely to be comfortable for very long for anyone, but you could probably manage.
It is very safe.
You might also want to wait for the Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot--all due to be refreshed this year.
If you are in a rush and want the best right now, there is no question that the Saturn and the GMC are the very best. They are all the rage in the automotive press right now (and incidentally, hey have the biggest third row).
Two more to consider:
BMW X5 (small)
#1047 of 1084 Re: RX350 vs. XC90 [readerreader]
Jan 30, 2007 (4:45 pm)
Volvo says their 3rd row is recommended for people under 5ft-3". My wife is that size and she is very comfortable back there for 2-3 hours drives. We do not use the 3rd row very often, maybe twice a year. You are right, the Volvo third row is very safe, as safe as any other seat in the XC90.
Feb 09, 2007 (7:00 pm)
I am debating between the Cadillac SRX and the Volvo XC90, does anyone have any suggestions?
#1049 of 1084 Re: SRX vs XC90 [jgibs890]
Feb 10, 2007 (1:11 am)
Drive them both and see which one you like better.
It is very crucial that you find loaded examples of each and drive them.
#1050 of 1084 Re: SRX vs XC90 [readerreader]
Feb 17, 2007 (9:15 am)
hi, new to these forums, does anyone actually have the srx with the 3rd row, i feel it wont fit 2 adults but how about 2 pre-teen kids.
#1051 of 1084 Re: SRX vs XC90 [adamt12]
Mar 01, 2007 (8:43 pm)
I have been an owner of a SRX for three years now, and have had many pre-teen kids in the 3rd row. No problem there...I've also put two adults ( 5'5" & 5'7") back there on a one hour drive. They didn't mind at all.
#1052 of 1084 Need my 1st car.....
May 25, 2007 (7:53 pm)
I'm a sophomore, and am trying to decide between the Mercedes ML320 or the Acura MDX for my first car(Years 2001-2004). I prefer the Mercedes, just for the name, but the Acura is good too. They both seem pretty reliable but what do I know. Thank You.
#1053 of 1084 Re: Need my 1st car..... [mattcannavo]
May 26, 2007 (4:43 pm)
Of those vehicles and model years, your best bet for reliability would be a 2003-2004 MDX. 2001-2002 MDX's have a transmission design that has been problematic. ML320's don't have a good reliability record by most accounts.
#1054 of 1084 MDX vs. Volvo and Lexus
May 29, 2007 (6:08 am)
I just got the MDX after comparing to XC90 and RX350. The MDX is best value for the money by far, here's some pros and cons:
1. Well integrated audio and video and navigation
2. Excellent voice recognition
3. Great handling
4. Very techy with lots of gadgets and toys
5. 3rd row
6. Lots of "small things" included like xenon lights, backup camera, bluetooth, aux input on the tech/ent package.
1. May be too techy for some folks. If you think a blackberry or treo is too complicated, don't look at this car. Must read manual to maximize all the tools.
2. 3rd row is smaller than Volvo.
3. Roof rack, trailer hitch, and side boards are all optional (if you care for them)
4. Ugly grille.
1. Safe, high crash ratings.
2. Large roomy 3rd row
3. Nice factory headrest DVD setup
4. Nice conservative appearance (my wife likes it)
1. The 6cyl is very weak.
2. Poor reliability history ( and thus higher maintenance)
3. Navigation is really really bad and not worth its weight in paper.
4. No backup camera, just an optional radar buzzing thing.
5. Ends up 4-5k more than MDX comparably equipped.
1. Nice finish
2. Smooth drive
3. Nav is pretty good and easy to use.
4. Lexus customer service
1. No 3rd row if you need it.
2. Very boat like to drive. Handling worse than Acura of Volvo. Could be a good thing if you like driving a boat, though.
3. Its really a glorified highlander. All the interior setup is identical, shift gear box and all.
4. Hard to find the factory DVD and aftermarket doesn't look so hot.
5. Costs a little more than MDX even without the DVD.
Hope that helps someone.