Last post on Nov 15, 2013 at 6:09 AM
You are in the Toyota Avalon
What is this discussion about?
#1545 of 1735 Re: 2011 Avalon steering wheel noise problem [mrbill541]
Dec 07, 2012 (10:27 am)
I had a clicking in my Steering column, it took me several visits for the dealer to finally locate the problem. It was very slight but I noticed it. The noise, movement bothered me so much I was just about ready to sell my car, then a tech noticed it. Today, all is good, it's the only problem I had with my Avalon so far.
#1546 of 1735 Re: 2011 Avalon steering wheel noise problem [nan48]
Dec 07, 2012 (12:14 pm)
That was a common thing. My 06 had the clicking column. When I explained that I was feeling it my dealer fixed it without question under warranty.
Dec 09, 2012 (8:31 pm)
Drove a 12 Avalon yesterday - I'm a fan anyway, but was quite impressed. Love what they did with the interior, drive was perfect, as always. Now, I guess I should compare the 13 with it one of these days.
#1548 of 1735 Re: 12 [nvbanker]
Dec 09, 2012 (11:01 pm)
I thought you owned a 2011. Surely you don't have that many miles on your car. Lets us know what you think about the 2013. I am told the 2012 isn't any differnt from the 2011's. I am curious abut the 2013 though. Thanks for sharing,
#1549 of 1735 Re: 12 [nan48] [NCEE]
Dec 10, 2012 (4:40 am)
I had a 2011, which I just traded in on the All New 2013 Avalon:) Here is a quick run through of my thoughts so far.
***Some of this likely has changed, as I've now owned the car 6 days, but it's good reading until I do update it.
First impressions on my 2013avalon:)
Ok, we'll I just got back from my first short trip with my new toy. Here are my thoughts.
First off let me me start with a BIG
Quiet, smooth, comfortable pleasant to drive.
Seats are much more comfortable then I expected on a longer drive.
The trip was about 200 miles round trip. Mostly back roads 45 - 55 mph, and light snow all day.
I didn't think about it until I tried to load CD's, as it appears it only holds 1. I'm sure this is because of entunes and the fact it can play a iPod.
I still find the switches / controls on the top right a bit to far, but not a big deal. The lights are very nice, both headlights for lighting the road as well as the interior lights.
Something odd, is that my cell phones turns on and off all by itself, which never happened with my old Avalon, and it is the car, because when the cell phone is on my desk at workor counter at home, it doesn't do it.
The front seat heater is very good and seems more powerful than my old Avalon.
The collision avoidance is real nice.
Right Now I don't like the new radio station presets, a bit more work then the old system, but I can see where it will be easier once I get use to it.
The 3 driving modes are interesting, but I didn't pay attention much attention to them yet, so I can't comment much. I can say you can see and feel the difference when you select each mode.
The electric steering is REAL nice.
I liked the 3 trays / pockets on the old Avalon better. Things seemed to fit better and easier.
I love the coin tray up front.
I like the digital speedometer which is handy when setting the cruise control at 9mph over the speed limit
I REALLY like the solid feel when opening and closing the doors
I'm sure there will be more as I get more time behind the wheel, but that's for now.
#1550 of 1735 2013 thoughts update
Dec 10, 2012 (5:40 am)
Well almost 1,000 miles on it, so I'm getting more time behind the wheel.
- The rides is more comfortable but in an odd way. It feels stiffer, and you hear and sort of feel the bumps more, but not in a bone jarring way. The seats and suspension do a good job of soaking the bumps up.
- My radio doesn't seem to go up and down base on noise and speed like it should. I'll be reading up on this to see if it only works under certain conditions, or if the radio needs to be at a certain volume to work?
- Oh, the radio is awesome in the LTD model
- Wipers are real quiet:) A big issue I had with my 2011 Avalon
- The windows go up and down very quietly. Something I had paid to much attention to in my 2011, although you do have to hold the switches a bit longer to have them work automatically.
- Still NOT liking the radio station setup:(
- Electric steering is a nice touch.
- The backup camera seems so much nicer. The picture is clearer, cleaning, brighter and more crisp then the 2011.
- Not sure but the 3 driving modes are somewhat of a gimmick at this time. I leave it in "Normal" at this time. I will be going on a few long trips, at which point in time I will try "Eco" mode to see if it helps in the MPG.
- I will say, I've had several folks come up and say "Very Nice Things" about the car:)
- The front seat heaters WORK! Damn, on high you feel like your roasting your butt for dinner. Med is ok, and the first setting doesn't seem to work well at all?
- Wind noise hasn't been an issue yet. I'm NOT saying it's any quieter then my 2011, what I'm saying is, it's not any louder that I can detect.
I THINK I can say this and mean it.
IF I had driven a 2010 or so LS 460 L, and it didn't have to many miles on it, and I could live with the HIGH cost of ownership, and the higher cost for fuel (I drive 35,000+ miles a year, and a trip to FL from Maine would cost an extra $150.00, or about $2,000.00 more per year) Not to mention the higher cost of insurance and maintenance - $200.00 for an oil change! That would likely be sitting in my driveway, but this is a Very Nice option.
Ok, back to my New Avalon:)
A friend who I worked with many years ago at the local Ford dealerships went for a ride in the car the other day, and well, here is some of what happen.
Hey, Leo look at this cool feature, yeah that's nice. I've like that idea every since ford started putting that in their cars a few years ago:) ok, well what do you think of this? Yeah that's cool to, but sorry, ford's have had that for a few years now. Well this went on and on for a while, after the ride was done and I was dropping him off, I asked him, so what do you think, he said (in Leo fashion), nice, but you could have bought a 3 year old ford and got all that stuff for a lot less:)
- Trunk opening seems tighter. I don't like that, as I use the car a lot for making deliveries.
- The car is smaller inside, which is noted in the specs, I just wish it wasn't so noticeable. My passengers have said they fell a bit claustrophobic in front. That seemed a bit much to me! I will say, it maybe the different colors used, making it seem tighter. I feel it as the driver:(
Now some of you are saying "Damn sure sounds like he doesn't like the car, and or, why in hell did he buy the car"? And that is a good question.
YES, I like the car. That doesn't mean I can't find fault with it.
I also worked out a deal with my local dealer, which I wasn't going to back out of. In part he bought A LOT of marketing stuff for their Grand Reopening / Remodel, and I said I would purchase a new car if he did. He did spend A LT, so I bought the new car.
Here is an interesting wonder.
IF the car was to be totaled, would I purchase another one, or would I buy a 2012, or would I shop around for a late model used LS???
#1551 of 1735 Re: 2013 thoughts update [ncee]
Dec 10, 2012 (9:11 am)
I really want to thank you skip for giving us updates. I'm not in the market to buy one since I have only 22 thousand miles and I bought an extended warranty. It's nice to know what to expect if I ever wanted to buy a 2013 model.
One thing I love about my 2011 is the room on the inside. Especially the back seat. You said the 2013 was smaller on the inside. This is nice to know. I guess that's how they get the extra MPG. ??
Keep the undates coming, Thanks again!
#1552 of 1735 Re: 2013 thoughts update [ncee]
Dec 10, 2012 (10:28 am)
yes.keep updates coming.im thinking of buying a 2013 es 350 or a 2013 limited
#1553 of 1735 Re: 12 [nan48]
Dec 12, 2012 (10:50 am)
I thought you owned a 2011.
Nope, that wasn't me, I have a Lexus, but am a fan of the Avalon - despite it's differences in engineering, it's a great car for us Business People who need such a roomy comfortable sedan. This was the first 12 I have tried out, liked it a lot. Will be looking for a 13 to try out.
#1554 of 1735 Re: 12 [nvbanker]
Dec 12, 2012 (10:55 am)
If you like the 2012 for it's roominess - will NOT like the 2013. It is a Great car, but it is smaller, and noticeably I might add:(