Last post on Dec 01, 2009 at 3:27 AM
You are in the Honda Pilot
What is this discussion about?
Honda Pilot, SUV
#16 of 25 Re: Lack of availability - 2010 Pilot (Touring models) ? [steve_]
Nov 23, 2009 (9:57 am)
HA - good suggestion Steve! We actually might head to FL later in the winter however. With the Holidays upon us we had planned to get the vehicle easily and be done with it. What a project this is turning out to be!
We might just have to go for a RES Touring because it seems that would increase our chances of getting a white or silver model. Otherwise- we'll have to travel!
#17 of 25 Re: Lack of availability - 2010 Pilot (Touring models) ? [dman72]
Nov 23, 2009 (11:44 am)
Wow. I had no idea what I was getting myself into on Saturday when I "purchased" the Pilot touring with RES and they told me they had one and just had to get it transported. "Will not take more than a day to get it here" they said. Today, the are still looking for one and I have made a comitment to sell my current vehicle tomorrow morning in a private sale. I don't know what to do! I also put $500 deposit which I feel a little stupid about now.....
#18 of 25 Re: Lack of availability - 2010 Pilot (Touring models) ? [orange271]
Nov 23, 2009 (11:50 am)
Orange- the Touring models with RES are a little easier to come by but you still will experience the same issues we are. Thanksgiving approaching and lack of inventory. What few models are available will either be sold or dealers won't trade them- period.
Make sure they are willing to refund your $500 and also be willing to travel!
It's a pain huh! Totally didn't see this coming....
#19 of 25 Re: Lack of availability - 2010 Pilot (Touring models) ? [dman72]
Nov 23, 2009 (1:37 pm)
4:36pm and no update from the dealer.
I've extended my search to other dealers within 150 miles. I'll have to deal with getting my deposit back later....UGH!
#20 of 25 Re: Lack of availability - 2010 Pilot (Touring models) ? [dman72]
Nov 23, 2009 (4:25 pm)
7:19pm - the dealer finally called me back. They basically told me they couldn't get a RES model either. I told them I would like my deposit back and they agreed.
I went to cars.com and emailed 4 dealers that had the exact model we wanted. The Touring model without RES. Within 3 minutes I received 3 calls and 2 emails. Out of the 4 dealers only one would guarantee the price- $35,600 in writing.
So looks like I'll get the exact car we wanted after-all. To be continued tomorrow....
And lets hope the original dealer gives our security deposit back as they promised!
#21 of 25 Re: Lack of availability - 2010 Pilot (Touring models) ? [dman72]
Nov 23, 2009 (7:16 pm)
Good luck with the purchase dman.
I'm not thrilled with our dealer after hearing from them this morning. Our salesman called my wife this morning and had a discussion with her saying he would try his best to find the color combo we're looking for but we must decide fast if we want to purchase the current one they have in stock. Apparently he told my wife the Honda financing special ended on Nov 30th and we would only have a week to make our decision. I immediately told her that it wasn't true and quoted the dates directly from Honda's website, "through 1/4/2010". Can't believe he lied to her over the phone. With that said, I'm giving him until Wednesday then moving on, hopefully able to obtain the same price we were quoted. If my wife and I are spending $40K on a new car, we're going to wait or drive to get the car we want.
I'll keep you updated. Let us know how things go dman.
#22 of 25 Re: Lack of availability - 2010 Pilot (Touring models) ? [rlc76]
Nov 24, 2009 (3:50 am)
Will keep you posted RLC -
Actually saving $200 by traveling to a dealer that has a white Touring model on their lot. I sent out the email from cars.com (sorry Edmunds- cars.com was easier to search inventory) and as mentioned got responses by phone and email immediately.
I read reviews on the dealers that responded on dealerrater.com and the sales manager that contacted me saying he could definitely match our price and had the car on his lot just happened to be a highly rated dealer. (although 45 minutes away- not a big deal) I also found that reviewers all said the internet buying process was very easy. Great!
So we head out today to sign paperwork and hopefully will have the car tomorrow. (credit union check is being cut and FedEx'd from NY)
What I learned from this experience: buy off a dealer lot! I won't get the lifetime power-train warranty the other dealer was throwing in but then again- they didn't have a car....AT ALL!
The original dealer is only getting one Touring model in for December- a Bali Blue. Oh well....their loss.
#23 of 25 Re: Lack of availability - 2010 Pilot (Touring models) ? [dman72]
Nov 25, 2009 (6:11 am)
okay gang -
I got the white Touring model (Nav but no RES) at $35,700 and negotiated up my trade in on the 2008 Element LX to $17,000. Pretty good deal overall.
As mentioned, I emailed several dealers and only one responded back confirming they agree to the pricing I wanted via email. I went in and signed paperwork in under an hour. Done deal.
I pick the car up today. The original dealer also had no problem refunding my deposit - they said they simply could not trade for the car we wanted so it was only fair.
Looks like everything worked out in the end.
The dealer also threw us a curveball at the last minute with a 2009 Pilot (white) with 11,000 miles and $3,000 in accessories. They said they didn't put the car online because it was a demo but they wanted $37K for it. We stuck with the 2010.
#24 of 25 Re: Lack of availability - 2010 Pilot (Touring models) ? [dman72]
Nov 30, 2009 (7:41 pm)
My wife and I picked up our new Bali Blue Pilot with Nav and RES yesterday. We were tired of the lack of communication and interest from our local dealer and decided to take matters into our own hands. We had to drive 140 miles on the busiest travel day of the year for the color combination we wanted. It was more than worth it.
Included were the premium running boards and all season mats for $37500. Apparently the manager of the dealer had been driving the car for a few weeks so they knocked down the price because it was considered a "demo". Car is in perfect condition. I'm happy the search is over and we have exactly what we hoped for.
Dman, I'm glad everything worked out for both of us in the end. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you do things on your own. Good luck and Happy Holidays.
#25 of 25 Re: Lack of availability - 2010 Pilot (Touring models) ? [rlc76]
Dec 01, 2009 (3:27 am)
Congrats RLC! Happy Holidays....
We love the Pilot - it's a very nice ride and the features are outstanding. I'm still getting used to the NAV and other little bits of technology but I can already tell we will keep this car for a very long time!