Last post on May 29, 2012 at 8:37 PM
You are in the Pontiac Grand Prix
What is this discussion about?
Pontiac Grand Prix, Electrical, Sedan
#7 of 8 Re: 01 Pontiac Grand Prix Rear Speaker issue [d588996p]
May 12, 2012 (8:41 pm)
I have the same problem with my chevrolet truck and the dealership had the replace the speaker which worked until next winter so I think I will upgrade to a better speaker and do it my self
#8 of 8 Re: 01 Pontiac Grand Prix Rear Speaker issue [d588996p]
May 29, 2012 (8:37 pm)
I have just had the exact problem with my speakers in my 2000 GP
My solution was to replace the rear deck speakers with new 6x9's. I also replaced the adapter from the speaker to the factory harness in the trunk.
As far as I could tell, I was either having the expanding plug issue, or I had a voice coil going out and it would only work when the wire expanded (hot).
In order to get at the speakers.... follow these steps.
1. Remove the back seat bottom cushion... look for two release tabs by the front floor.
2. Remove two nuts holding wire loops in place.
3. Remove the two nuts holding the seat belts buckles to the seat bracket.
4. Lift off the back seat back.
5. Remove two plastic plugs holding real deck shelf carpet.
6. Carefully remove the rear deck carpeting lift UP and forward. Pay attention to the corners.
7. Remove some felt looking material... careful not to damage it.
8. Peel forward the Dynamat looking material.
9. Remove 4 screws holding each speaker in place.
10. Unplug the speaker from the harness in the trunk and remove it.
11. Install new speakers... and reassemble the car.
This completely solved my problem.
I then blew both my front speakers, so that was another job.
p.s. I ordered my speakers from Crutchfield.com and they included the factory adapters with my purchase.
Hope this helps.