Last post on Feb 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM
You are in the Hyundai Sonata
What is this discussion about?
Hyundai Sonata, Future Vehicle, Sedan
#3800 of 5326 Re: Another Sonata Review [ral2167]
Jul 11, 2010 (7:39 am)
Since you don't own one, it's not fair to criticize us owners. No one has said there are no other cars out there comparable. Let's face it, Hyundai has come along way since the flops in the 80's. I have owned a 2002 Sonata, a 2006 Sonata and the 2011 Sonata. My wife has owned a 2003 Elantra and now a 2010 Elantra which we picked up 2 weeks ago. I have been quite satisfied with them, not to say I never had a problem, although all minor.
#3801 of 5326 Re: Another Sonata Review [ral2167]
Jul 11, 2010 (8:45 am)
That is 1 of at least 10 unbiased reviews and the only one critical of power and side roll. I bought my Sonata SE for less than $23k without tax. Can you show me a comparable full size car for that price with 200hp, 18" alloy wheels, high performance low profile tires, Electronic stability ,Traction control, Antilock brakes,leather trim,bluetooth, satelite radio, 5star safety rating, pushbutton start, 6speed auto, paddle shifters on steering wheel, and a 10yr waranty. Not to mention a Mercedes paint job and futuristic style. I'm listening!
#3802 of 5326 Re: Bucking.... [jlflemmons]
Jul 11, 2010 (9:31 am)
I bought my wife her 3rd Sonata the last day of June (a 2011 Limited). All have been great cars driven hard around town and on a few road trips - she had one shock failure on her 1st one - 2002 Limited - and that's it. 120K miles between the two. The 2nd one was a 2007 Limited. We live in the DFW area, just returned from a quick 155 mile round trip to OK this morning and averaged with about 20 minutes of stop/go/idling 37.8 mpg 70-75 mph. It has 490+ miles on it now and have not experienced a gas fill problem (only put gas in once) nor an idle problem - nor these problems with the others. For the money, the Sonata has been her best car over her 2 Camry's and her 1 Maxima since 1996. No, I don't work for Hyundai nor in the auto industry - but I have become a believer. Still, I'm not trading my Ridgeline.
#3803 of 5326 Re: Another Sonata Review [schdy]
Jul 11, 2010 (10:47 am)
I am not sure this writer is "unbiased". There are strong hints that in fact the writer is quite biased, for example:
* Complaining about the acceleration when many other reviews show the Sonata is one of the leaders of its class, for four-cylinder cars, in that regard.
* Comments such as the following, which seem to indicate the writer has a general bias against Hyundai:
- "In the past, Hyundai's exterior styling has been forgettable, ugly or both."
- "Notwithstanding the silly name that (Fluidic Sculpture) brings to mind a flushing toilet,..."
- "First off, the engine, though rated at 200 horsepower in the sporty SE, feels like it has half that. The Sonata's 0-60 acceleration is normal for its class at about 8 seconds..." (note how the writer contradicts himself in the same sentence--first claiming the car feels like it has 100 horsepower, which would be far less than any other car in its class, then saying its acceleration is normal for its class).
- "As it stands now, I'd rather have an American or Japanese product without some of the frills like the navigation system, stereo and sun roof if it meant better driving dynamics." (note the writer doesn't say WHICH American or Japanese products offer better driving dynamics--other reviews aren't afraid to name names when comparing the Sonata to other cars).
When I see reviews like this on a car when so many professional auto reviewers have given the car a thumbs-up, I have to wonder if the writer is biased, and if they are trying to make a name for themselves by making clever comments, e.g. comparing a marketing slogan to a flushing toilet.
Just my opinion.
#3804 of 5326 Re: Another Sonata Review [ral2167]
Jul 11, 2010 (10:54 am)
If you don`t own one and you don`t drive one how do you know it`s not the "be all and end all car". Maybe it is YOU that needs to get some sense of reality. Buy one, drive one and then get back to me. (not before please.)
#3805 of 5326 Re: Another Sonata Review [bobbo555]
Jul 11, 2010 (1:38 pm)
I will give the reviewer the engine noise comment, but the acceleration lacking?
Not compared to anything in its class. (Perhaps compared to my G35 that I traded in )
#3806 of 5326 Re: Bucking.... [ridre52]
Jul 11, 2010 (3:42 pm)
OK, well, I don't "think" it anymore...I know it. Today, my wife noticed it while driving at low speeds and when starting from a complete stop. It is hesitating, bad. I am definitely taking it in tomorrow. 600 miles, that's it. Any ideas what may be causing this? I am using Shell gas, 89 octane. Anything I should ask the mechanic to check?
#3807 of 5326 Re: Bucking.... [ridre52]
Jul 11, 2010 (4:40 pm)
use 87 octane
#3808 of 5326 Re: Bucking.... [ral2167]
Jul 11, 2010 (6:46 pm)
#3809 of 5326 Re: Bucking.... [ridre52]
Jul 11, 2010 (6:58 pm)
Tell your dealer the symptoms. IIRC there was a post from a user with drivability issues that turned out to be a fuel pump issue.