Last post on Oct 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM
You are in the Kia Soul
What is this discussion about?
Kia Soul, Hatchback
Mar 27, 2013 (11:28 am)
just announced this morning at the NY Auto Show
#203 of 223 What's under the skin on the 2014 Soul:
Mar 29, 2013 (8:36 am)
- 2.4” wider opening of the lift gate
- will be available in 7 new exterior hues including the two at NY Solar yellow and Inferno Red
- ideas taken from the Track'ster – large trapezoidal lower air intake and fog light location and the and the “floating” body color panel inset into the lift gate and also lifting as many of the Track'ster's circular interior reference points as possible
- liberal use of expansion foam thoroughly fills body cavities, reducing outside wind and road noise
- reinforced isolation pad in the cargo area and poly-urethane-layered carpet helps reduce overall interior noise levels by approximately 3 decibels.
- Built on a all-new chassis that is nearly 29% stiffer than before
strengthening the body at key connection points along the cowl, upper and lower B-pillars, cross members and at the C-pillars
- fully 66% of the chassis utilizes either Ultra High Strength Steel (35%) or high strength Steel (31%)
- A-pillar is 0.8” narrower for improved outward visibility
- application of structural adhesive around the door openings and along the roof also helps improve torsional rigidity
- heavily revised front and rear suspension, the front sub-frame utilizes four bushings to reduce ride harshness and impact booms over rough pavement
- the stabilizer bar has been moved rearward on the McPherson strut front suspension, while the steering box has been moved forward, lending better balance and subsequently improved handling and benefits to on-center feel
- one-piece steering gear housing is stronger (current two piece), improving steering response and reducing impacts felt through the wheel
- optional Flex Steer, allow the driver to select 3 distinct steering settings – comfort, normal and Sport
- shocks on the rear torsion bar suspension have been turned vertically and lengthened allowing for more suspension travel and improving ride comfort
- 2.0L NU power plant is updated with GDI technology
- both engines have been tuned to provide more low-end torque (9% more torque at 1500 rpm on the 2.0L and 5% more on the 1.6L)
Mar 30, 2013 (7:13 pm)
These new pics look great and it seems the Soul is aging very nicely especially the nicer interior, a major improvement over the current model. Drove one the other night from West Palm to Miami airport and it was just o k...a bit loud but hopefully they have addressed that issue with the new 2014 model. The seat fabric was just o k and hopefully this will be addressed to. The whole vehicle needs to be updated so it is competitive with other vehicles in this econocar segment. I really like the higher roof line and bet Kia could sell so much more once they "mature" this vehicle and make it more mainstream so more will put it on their short lists. I definitely would if they put some more lux into it and smooth out the ride. They really should check our the Chrysler 200, yes, the Chrysler 200 to see how smooth a car can ride...this vehicle is a real sleeper as it does everything well. Sure it's very bland looking but it rides so nicely and everything in it just "works"!
#205 of 223 thread movement
Mar 30, 2013 (7:33 pm)
Attention HOST: - why is my threads getting relocated to one main thread, just makes it that much harder to find anything when everything is group under one heading, doesn't happen on your other threads - why just on the Soul?
#206 of 223 Re: thread movement [conwelpic]
by PFFlyer@Edmunds HOST
Mar 31, 2013 (8:35 am)
We've never broken down a make/model by model years. This comes from long experience. For example, if someone is looking for information about tire and wheel issues with a certain model, we have no need for separate discussions for 2011, 2012, etc. when one general tire and wheel discussion will suffice. We wind up WAY too many discussions and it makes things much harder for users to wade through. It happens on all makes and models, not just here.
Your pics of the 2014 are great, but certainly belong as part of the the general Kia Soul discussion. The Soul group is relatively new and hasn't developed a lot of issue/problem discussions yet, but I'm certain it will.
#207 of 223 Re: A Real Beauty [sandman_6472]
Apr 05, 2013 (2:41 pm)
not really a fair comparison when you consider the size of the 200, with a 8" longer wheelbase and 28" longer overall length and 600-800 lbs heavier, I think the ride would be different. (wonder how the ride on the 200 compares to the Optima, which is the more comparable model in the KIA lineup)
But it will be interesting to see the improvements in this regard when the model arrives at dealerships - I will be test driving one to see how it compare to my 2012 model
#208 of 223 2014 Soul vs the 2013
Apr 21, 2013 (3:09 pm)
#209 of 223 When will the 2014 soul start arriving in the dealerships?
Jun 28, 2013 (11:26 am)
#210 of 223 Re: When will the 2014 soul start arriving in the dealerships? [desidon]
Jun 28, 2013 (11:52 am)
latest is third quarter, which can be from July to September. As of the end of May it does not appear the 2014 has gone into production (based on production figures), June figures will not be available till mid-July, once it goes into production is usually takes from 6-8 weeks before you will see them at dealerships, depending, of course where in North America you are located.
#211 of 223 I am starting to take a look...
Jun 28, 2013 (3:14 pm)
at the Kia Soul. 6-speed manual tranny and tha Molten color. White stripe from front down the back, too? Just lookin', of course.