Last post on Jan 05, 2009 at 5:36 PM
You are in the Oldsmobile Alero
What is this discussion about?
Oldsmobile Alero, Audio, Sedan
#1 of 3 Radio Displays Locked
Jan 03, 2009 (11:51 am)
I purchased a replacement radio for my daughter's 2002 Alero from a salvage company. I have the radio in now, but the display reads "locked". Reading the owners manual, it looks like this is an anti theft feature.
Does anybody know how to "unlock" this feature?
#2 of 3 Re: Radio Displays Locked [gene900]
Jan 04, 2009 (9:35 pm)
The only way the radio will work is if you have the 4 # code.
The code was set by the previous owner. Without it you will have to contact the dealer. Dont know what that will cost, maybe the salvage yard will take it back. Sorry.
#3 of 3 Re: Radio Displays Locked [gene900]
Jan 05, 2009 (5:36 pm)
For Coded GM Car Radios with "LOC" or "InOP" in the Display
Try this – has worked for many others. (It will not work if radio has RDS feature - Must go to dealer) If locked or inop does not appear, the key must be left in the ON position for 90 minutes. Go for a ride!
To restore your radio to operation you must first obtain the scrambled back-up code from the radio.
1. Turn ignition on and radio power on.
2. Press and hold presets 2 and 3 for about 6 seconds until the first 3 digits of the display code are displayed. Write the numbers down.
3. Press the AM/FM button, and the second 3 digits of the scrambled code are displayed. Write these numbers down. If the numbers do not change when pressing the AM/FM buttons, then your second three numbers are the same as the first three.
4. Call 1-800-537-5140 and enter 202108 followed by the # key, then enter the #'s that you wrote down from your radio followed by the * key. The call will give you a 3 or 4 digit override code. Write this code # down so you have it if you ever need it again.
1. Ignition on, Radio OFF.
2. Press the HR button until the "LOC" disappears and "000" appears on the display.
Note: if the display does not change from "LOC" to "000" the unit is probably in the "InOP" stage and must be left alone for one hour with ignition power applied. Every three unsuccessful entries will put the unit into "InOP".
3. Set the first two digits (01-19) of the code with the HR (hours) button. (you will not see the zero if the first digit is a zero as in "02" for example)
4. Set the next two digits (00-99) of the code with the MIN (minute) button.
5. Press the AM/FM button to enter the code. The radio will now be unlocked and the display will change to the clock. Continue with the following steps to deactivate the theft deterrent.
6. Press the HR button until the display changes to "000".
7. Repeat steps 3-5 above to remove the previous code and deactivate the theft deterrent system. You may set a new personal security code as per your owners manual instructions.
Hope you find this helpful.