Last post on Jul 09, 2008 at 10:07 PM
You are in the GMC Safari & Chevy Astro
What is this discussion about?
GMC Safari, Chevrolet Astro, Van
#1 of 2 My van chug's like a choo choo!
Jul 09, 2008 (8:34 pm)
My Astro "Chug's" when it idles (say when it's in park or when I'm at a red light). I'm sure you know what I mean, but I'll try to describe as best I can.
You know how motorcycles "Chug" (Ch-chuga-ch-chuga) and they're supposed to right? I'll assume my van shouldn't.
What does that mean if it does? Is it a sign the spark plugs need changed or (*gulp*) worse?
Thanks for your help!
#2 of 2 Re: My van chug's like a choo choo! [antique_maggie]
Jul 09, 2008 (10:07 pm)
Your van's engine's "chug chug" sound at idle could be from:
- Water in the gas. Could even be cheap gas.
- Could be plugged or clogged fuel injectors.
- Could be from old / cracked spark plug wires.
- Could be from too old of distributor rotor or distributor cap.
- Could be from improper timing.
- Could be from partial defective O2 sensor.
As a suggestion, take your van to a few auto shops and ask for their repair feedback. Very hard to determine the cause without hearing the sound ourselves.
Hope this helps....