Last post on Dec 04, 2013 at 8:19 PM
You are in the Toyota Sequoia
What is this discussion about?
Toyota Sequoia, Hatchback
#86 of 141 Re: 2004 Toyota Sequoia Rear Hatch Door Problems [heytomsequoia]
Jul 22, 2011 (5:51 am)
I just wanted to thank everyone, especially heytomsequoia for all the information posted. I have a 2001 Seq. and the plastic handle broke after 11 years so I guess I was lucky it lasted that long!
A few things:
1) Be patient. I broke 1 of the plastic trim clips on the license plate trim cover that holds the latch handle. The clips cost $2.50 to $7.50 EACH at the dealer and mine had to be special ordered with a 2-day delay. I broke one of the dark gray $2.50 clips that had to be ordered in a set of 3. The white clips are $7.50 EACH!
2) I also broke the plastic that housed the trim clip because I yanked on the license trim cover from the outside instead of pushing the end of the trim clip from the inside of the hatch door. I used a hot glue gun to glue the new trim clip to the trim cover.
3) Be sure to reinstall the rear hatch key lock's mounting plate between the license trim cover and the rear hatch door. I put the trim plate in first, then realized when I tried to bolt in the lock that I had to remove the trim plate again and sandwich the lock's mounting plate between the trim plate and the rear hatch.
4) Other people have mentioned that to remove the 2 10mm nuts holding the hatch handle there are 2 rubber plugs on the inside of the rear hatch that you need to remove. You can use a 6" long socket wrench extension with a 10mm socket to easily loosen/tighten the 2 nuts for the hatch handle.
I also "whacked" the rear window motor about 20 times and was surprisd that my rear window is now working again after being stuck for about the past 8 years!
Be patient. The hardest part of the job for me was to remove the license trim plate. Crimp the trim clips from the inside and push out. Don't yank on the trim plate or you may break the trim clips or the trim plate itself.
I've been very fortunate that the rear hatch and window motor were the only mechanical problems I've ever had in 11 years of ownership. My "D" drive light is out in my dash but I can live with that.
#87 of 141 play in rear window after fixing door hatch
Jul 22, 2011 (6:24 am)
I fixed my rear door hatch and now am not sure if I did not put something back together right. When my rear window is partially down, it has some play in it. It can be moved back and forth an inch or so. I don't remember if it did this before. Any feedback is appreciated!
#88 of 141 Re: Sequoia rear latch problem after handle repair [cbrook4]
Aug 13, 2011 (8:27 pm)
I watched all the videos too, but I think I'm missing something to get at the latching mechanism at the bottom inside of the hatch door. [Unfortunately, my stuck shut hatch door is more than just the latch handle]. Took a while to get the 2 electrical connectors off, then hoped that black plastic cover would basically lift off. I've spent a while now trying to pull, twist, pry, etc. and can't get it to lift off. No screws, no bolts, can't see anything holding it on. Anyone with any advice? I need to get at the workings and start them soaking as the cable being pulled has no effect.
Also, was horrified at some of the metal pieces inside the hatch when I took off the trim and coverings. Window had only been going down a foot or so, and discovered that the guides rusted so bad they flaked and were almost disintegrated.
#89 of 141 Re: Sequoia rear lock problems (but not broken latch) - [pfessor]
Aug 24, 2011 (12:46 pm)
my 2005 sequoia handle just broke. the dealer wants $85 for the handle, $117 for the latch and 2.5 hours to fix at $95/hr. Total $439.50. I am too busy at work to try to fix it but what a surprise. This should have been recalled. I am glad others can fix it themselves. My rear window does not work so I will try to fix that from the advice from the other blog. Othwerwise a great car.
#90 of 141 Re: Sequoia rear lock problems (but not broken latch) - [raemac]
Aug 24, 2011 (3:32 pm)
If you have not already given the dealer the go-ahead, you may want to consider buying the replacement handle yourself on eBay where you get METAL handles for about $33 instead of the PLASTIC that the dealer sells that will just break again in a few years for $89. By the way, the handle and the latch don't usually fail at the same time. I think you're being ripped off.
#91 of 141 Re: 2008 Sequoia Limited Power Rear Door Problem [edoc2000]
Sep 05, 2011 (11:17 am)
edoc2000 have you been able to resolve your issue with the back door as we are having the same problem and like you it came out of nowhere. We also have a 2010 Limited.
#92 of 141 Re: Sequoia rear lock problems (but not broken latch) - [paulperkins]
Sep 05, 2011 (11:26 am)
I finally bought the part on ebay and had my local mechanic install the part-total cost $125-------Toyota wanted about$450 ---s/b warranted by isn't-too bad as this is not what Toyota needs in this market
#93 of 141 2006 Sequoia rea hatch - no power
Sep 05, 2011 (12:19 pm)
After fixing my rear latch, I lost all power. No power rear window, defog, wiper. I double checked all connections as well as fuses. I was told I have to go to Toyo Dealer for them to 're-program' the computer? Anyone know if this is true? Thx
#94 of 141 '07 Sequoia Ltd rear hatch problems
Oct 19, 2011 (6:46 am)
This is my 1st time on this site & I could really use your suggestions.
We purchased our used truck last summer & there are so many issues with the back door.
- One of the reverse lights does not work. My husband has changed the fuse & when he removed the light, we realized that the previous owners had messed with the wiring. Cant seem to get it to work. tried rewiring it.
- There is water coming into the truck when it rains. I cant find the leakage. seems its coming from the driver side from the floor but i cant see how its getting in the. The door is dry.
- the windshield wipers doesnt wipe & the window does not go up or down. and its not a fuse problem.
Based on your response it seems that taking it to the dealer will be a waste of time & money. Please help us.
#95 of 141 Re: '07 Sequoia Ltd rear hatch problems [glowsweb]
Oct 19, 2011 (9:39 am)
If the water on the floor comes after a rain the drain is probably blocked--this also happens when the A/C drains get blocked----