Last post on Jun 08, 2011 at 10:34 AM
You are in the Volkswagen GTI
What is this discussion about?
Volkswagen GTI, Engine, Hatchback
#13 of 82 Re: 2003 GTI [upstatedoc]
May 15, 2008 (8:57 pm)
Well, the dealer told me that in order for them to fix the problem correctly that they would have to replace the entire motor. Their reasoning behind this was because they said that IF they did not replace the entire engine that they could not warranty their work. They said that this would completely eliminate any future mechanical problems and it would also give me another 1year/12,000 mile warranty on the motor. I brought the GTI into the dealership after taking it to my own mechanic who said that the 2 middle cylinders had only 70-90 psi on a compression test. After this, I realized that this VW was still under the factory 5yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty which is why I decided to take it to the dealership. I THOUGHT that because it was covered under a factory warranty that it would cost me zero dollars (or so I thought) to fix the problem. Obviously I was wrong! I think mabye the dealerships are operating in the same way as the HMO's. Deny the coverage without any real evidence to support their position. That way, roughly 80% of the warranty claims will end up being paid by the consumer and the other 20% will be litigated (as in my case) through the courts. I have already committed to the dealership to have the motor replaced and will try to recover my expenses through small claims court. Stay tuned!.............
#14 of 82 VW 5yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty
May 15, 2008 (9:02 pm)
Does anyone know where I can obtain the entire disclosure for VW's powertrain warranty?
#15 of 82 Re: VW 5yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty [gregory42]
Jun 03, 2008 (10:06 am)
the dealership or vw.com should both have it. if not online, the dealership will be able to give you the outline of it and all that jazz.
#16 of 82 2003 Golf GT TDI
Jun 07, 2008 (1:41 pm)
Hi just wondering if anyone can help me at all, I have recently purchased a new shape Golf GT TDI. It seems to have an intermittant shuddering when the vehicle is stationary, I was advised to clean the throttle body and change the oil which has been done but there is still the shuddering when the car is ticking over. Has anyone come across this before and have any suggestions for anything else I could try. Thankyou!
#17 of 82 Re: 2003 Golf GT TDI [ally21]
Jun 12, 2008 (12:50 pm)
this happens alot in turbo vws. there is a leak in the air line to or from the turbo. tracking it down can be a time killer. if you are not sure what you are looking for then i would suggest going to a shop to have see if they can find the leak and repair it. the dealership will more than likely charge you double what a local shop would. if the "shuddering" is not too bad, you can just keep driving it like it is. you wont do much damage to the car. it just means you are getting less gas mileage and less horsepower from your car. you may get a check engine light soon for the said leak.
#18 of 82 what GTI should i get?
Jun 15, 2008 (3:28 pm)
I have a 2004 golf GL right now. I'm thinking of getting a GTI. should i get a VR6 gti, 337 gti or a 20th anniversary edition gti?
#19 of 82 Re: what GTI should i get? [f1fan17]
Jun 15, 2008 (6:57 pm)
I would definitelty go for the R32. You say you have kids and a wife?.....Forget about them and do the RIGHT thing!........buy that screamer (and Im not talking about your wife) that you have always wanted. Seriously........If I were in your shoes I would simply go check out all models and then settle on the one that fits all your criteria.....such as budget, performance, etc. Good Luck!
#20 of 82 Re: what GTI should i get? [gregory42]
Jun 15, 2008 (7:11 pm)
no kid no wife.
#21 of 82 Re: what GTI should i get? [f1fan17]
Jun 15, 2008 (7:12 pm)
would you go a VR6 or a 1.8T? not a big fan of the turbo but never really drove one.
#22 of 82 Re: 2003 Golf GT TDI [worditsmenick]
Jun 16, 2008 (12:00 pm)
Thank you very much for your help, I have booked a local mechanic to have a look for the leak for me so your advice has been very helpful. I will let you know the outcome. Many Thanks Alison.