Last post on Nov 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM
You are in the Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee
What is this discussion about?
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8, Jeep Cherokee, SUV
Mar 16, 2009 (9:50 am)
My 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee intermitently blows warm and cold air at the same time. The dealer said it was a bad door in the dash and removed the dash and replaced it once under warranty and it still is doing the same thing and the warranty is over. When it does this all you have to do is shut the engine off and start it again and the problem goes a way until it happens again. It sometimes takes days or weeks to happen again.
Also, something that just started happening is when you turn the vehicle off you hear what sounds like a vent door opening and closing coming from the passenger side under the dash.
#332 of 448 Re: 98 GC Ltd. questions [trek87]
Mar 18, 2009 (4:14 pm)
so after quite a bit of research and my Jeep mechanic taking me under his wing, we think we've tracked down these issues (repairs scheduled for the end of the month):
1) my OD output unit was making a lot of noise, which explains why it was kicking in around 3rd gear. the unit sits between the TC and the transmission. the slight rattle is just some stiffness in the drivetrain - it goes away after i drive a few feet down the road after a cold start and i'm not concerned.
2) the intermittent slight (and it really is barely noticeable) slippage on sharp turns on a loose surface was another symptom of my TC (also related to item 1 above). my viscous coupler inside my NP247 is worn out. i ordered a reman. since i'd rather just have all new internal TC components and never have to worry about it again (the VC alone is more than half the cost of whole unit). both of my differentials are in perfect shape.
3) & 4) for whatever reason, these issues are gone. who knew? my dealer adjusted my throttle linkage and replaced my idler pulley on another visit, but i don't think this explains it. hey i'm not going to complain.
i will update this post again once i've had all the above work done.
#333 of 448 vbration in cargo area
Mar 20, 2009 (8:45 am)
When Im stopped in drive, I get a vibration on the floorboard in cargo area right at the back seat. I checked under car at gas tank I hear it but cant find it. 2001 sport with 84000 on it. You can feel in in the car but cant find anything loose underneath. HELP
#334 of 448 Re: 2004 jeep grand Cherokee rear noise [tena2]
Mar 25, 2009 (3:40 pm)
hey, did you ever figure out what that noise was?? i have a 2004 jeep too and they can't seem to figure mine out either!! ugh!
#335 of 448 clunking nose when jeep coast over bumps PLEASE HELP
Mar 30, 2009 (8:38 pm)
i have a 99 jeep grand cherokee loredo it is making a clunking noise in the rear it is the loudest when i go over bumps at a coasting speed but still there slightly when going at faster speeds it seems like it happens more when the jeep rocks side to side a little instead of up and down hence louder when coasting i replaced the rear sway bar links and it still does it someone please help it is driving me crazy lol
#336 of 448 Re: 98 GC Ltd. questions [trek87]
Apr 01, 2009 (11:38 am)
update as promised:
1) had the OD output unit replaced, and the loud grinding noises i was hearing when the OD kicked in are gone. if you're experiencing a really noisy OD, i'd urge you to get this done if your mechanic identifies it as the problem.
2) my new TC sounds a lot better too - all new internal components. turning is also smoother (slight hangups as mentioned in previous post are gone) and handling is better (i have full-time AWD).
so, in summary, replacing the above components made all the loud grinding noises i was describing go away. nothing was ever wrong with the engine, just had some noise issues that were signaling component wear/tear (142K miles) that i wanted to address before they really became a problem.
#337 of 448 Re: clunking nose when jeep coast over bumps PLEASE HELP [jbarone]
Apr 08, 2009 (3:01 pm)
My oo had the same issue. There is a control arm that goes from the rear housing to the right (pass.) side. On top of the housing there is a ball joint. It is funny looking triangular steel plate with the ball joint attached vertically. Available from the dealer only, about $45. I replaced mine and I could not believe how bad the old one was. Nonetheless, this was the source of the clunking when going over bumps or "side to side" bumps. Drove me nuts until I discovered it and replaced.
#338 of 448 Re: Tapping noise under valve cover [theswampdonkey]
Apr 10, 2009 (6:07 pm)
i aswell just purchased a 05 jeep grand cherokee. it has a noise coming from what i think is the valve cover. possibly a rocker or lifter by the sound of it.
did you ever figure out the noise from your jeep?
#339 of 448 sounds like something loose
Apr 11, 2009 (9:04 am)
2006 grand laredo, makes a noise like something is loose. the noise is coming from the driver side rear tire. it happens just driving down the road from time to time, and when i brake . bumps also cause the noise. it sounds like something is loose and rattles around. makes you think that something is going to fall off! i checked all the suspension parts i could see, all bolts nuts etc, cant find what could be causing the problem!
#340 of 448 kite man
Jun 13, 2009 (8:56 pm)
94JGC,4.0L6cyl.177Kmi. Has a loud popping sound in the front end. Repl.upper&Lower control arms/track bars (lower) shocks, drivers side wheel bearing,sway bar. Everything has been tightened down,lubed but the popping sound continues. Only happens when turning left/right at low speeds/backing in or out of driveway. Very frustrating. Would appreciate advice as to the fix. Other than that I enjoy driving this car.