Last post on Jan 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM
You are in the Chevrolet Suburban & Tahoe
What is this discussion about?
Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe, Chevrolet Silverado 1500, SUV
#214 of 407 GM & Hanner Chevrolet Baird Texas
Sep 10, 2009 (9:44 am)
What an Deal! I purchased a GM Certified 2003 Z-71 August 16th 2007 w 50641 miles on it. As many of you stated my Speedometer became stuck at 120 mph. Below are a list of my complaints.
1. Was there a recall notice sent on the instrument cluster? I did not receive one.
2. I took my Chevy Z-71 to my local dealership Don Helm Chevrolet during the week GM was canceling dealership. Service manager was gone, on vacation etc? Who knows? I spoke with a service writer who came and looked and at speedometer. At this point my Chevy Z-71 had LESS THAN 80,000 miles on it! I am told by Don Helm Service guy " I am not sure exactly which ones are covered and which are not?" I asked if he could find out if mine was? He replied well service mgr is out not sure when he will return from time off and i am not sure how to tell if yours is covered or not?
3. Several weeks later I decide to take Chevy Z-71 back to where I purchased it
"GM Certified" Hanner Chevrolet, Baird Texas. At this point my Mileage is 82,000+or-. They sent me an estimate to fix the "gauge cluster" for $300 for parts and $127.50 labor plus tax. FULL RETAIL!!
4. I call and speak with one the principles explain my situation. He says let me check w service on it. He calls back and explains the following "Our hands are tied we cant help with cost at all". I said your kidding right? "No the "Class Action Lawsuit" has our hands tied. Since when does a class action lawsuit prevent a business from fair and equitable. When I called I simply for asked for some with charges. I informed the dealer principle to not do any work. ( my entire estimate for work to be done including the Gauge cluster was $2180.83.
5. Later i received a call from the same dealer principle. Well if you will let us do all the other work we can simply fix the stepper motor on on your speedometer at no charge. I explained my Oil pressure was out, RPM acts up etc. So a working speedometer but no oil pressure and RPM acting up? What a deal?
6. I then call GM customer Service 866-790-5700. I give details to one person who then takes my number later that day another person calls back asked me to explain to her the problem again. Why can't the first person ever be the person you need? Why?
7. After giving them my info, leaving my number two days later "No Return Call".
I place another call back. After a the lady answers and puts me hold for 4 and half mins. She starts a long excuse why they cannot help me. Her biggest reason......because I didn't have documentation of the first visit with Don Helms Chevy in Graham Texas. This fails every fair and equitable test.
8. My next call to Hanner Chevrolet where my Chevy Z-71 is still at. Service Manager John Wheeler. I asked for my Z-71 be left outside the gate so that i could pick it up on my way through tonight. Hanner is an Hr and Half from my home. He informs me there is a $92.33 charge for diagnostic. For What I say? He first tells me for Injection Service, Gauge Cluster and 4 Wheel drive problem? After I disagree that why should I be charged for a diagnostic problem gauge cluster that is known to be bad. He recants and tells me that i was not charged for the cluster diagnosis on the cluster. He then decides to visit about the charges of the gauge cluster. His explanation " How do expect me to help with your charges when, we only made $200 on the sale of your car, we haven't seen your car in our shop since you bought it and you just come in cold"? I asked him if this passed the Grandma test? Would feel good about a business treating your Grandma this way? His reply "YES". Yes he made me pay the $92.33 charge which I did.
In closing, How is a "Class Action Lawsuit" settled and owners not involved held to the settlement? How can GM know their to be a problem and " Not Do The Right Thing"? How can Hanner Chevrolet sell a "Certified Car" and then want to stick it to you by charging retail for a problem that they know is real and has been real for a long time. Wasn't this a problem on some vehicles in August of 2007 when I purchased mine? Then why did Hanner not repair and replace the gauge cluster before they sold it to me? I read documented case after documented case these gauge clusters were bad on Chevy Cars with less than 50,000 miles like mine when I bought. Keep in mind I went to Don Helm Chevy when my Chevy had lass than 80,000 miles. One would think with all the tax payers bailout money GM and Hanner Chevy could do better than this.
Hanner and GM should asked " Could this type of problem" be why we not ad successful as we could be?
I currently own GMC Yukon, HD2500 Pick-up, Z-71 Suburban. All Paid for. I will start the process to sell all of them. I have always driven GM products. As of today no more! Hanner and GM asked yourself if how much is going to cost you to replace a customer? Was it worth it? Come on Chevy owners stand up lets dont take this someone help me start a campaign to tell others how inequitable this is!
#215 of 407 Re: GM & Hanner Chevrolet Baird Texas [greg090662]
Sep 10, 2009 (10:00 am)
I'm sure there are other companies doing similar services
I haven't had any problems with my speedo, but if it ever does....I'm ready with a plan.
#216 of 407 Chevy Speedo Out
Sep 10, 2009 (12:31 pm)
My wife's speedo on her 03 Tahoe went out two weeks ago.
I understand why now. However will driving it still cause any other problems or should this be fixed ASAP. Thay want to charge me 80.00 for a test to determine if it's a warranty problem or not. We have 63,000 on it aqnd according to what I'm reading we will be able to get fixed with no charge. Does anyone have additional info that will help us? Thank You
#217 of 407 Instrument Cluster
Oct 03, 2009 (1:48 pm)
I just experienced the instrument cluster problem ( speedometer) and took my 05 burb to the local Chevrolet dealership. Not only were they not up to date on the current policy from Chevrolet but almost defiant in fixing the problem.
The (service) lol manager said the warranty only covered to 70000 miles or 5 years.
Didn't want to hear my story or investigate the warranty so I called another dealership and the part time service person knew more than the bozos at this dealership. I had to call the GM customer service # and explain that the dealership said I wasn't covered and that I was getting 2 stories from 2 different places.
The current policy covers also from 70001 to 79999 miles and you have to pay labor. I called two dealerships and the labor charge was $100 at 1 dealer and $150 at the other.
Obviously the 2nd dealer is trying to make up for not getting a markup on the part with higher labor charges which I will also call GM customer service about.
The service manager put me on hold and asked their (Warranty Specialist,lol again) about the coverage and, SURPRISE, the specialist had no clue either.
If you live in the OBX area of NC think twice about using Victory Chevrolet for a purchase or service work. ARROGANT, DEFIANT and just a plain terrible dealership.
On the other hand, Elliot Chevrolet in Staunton, VA will provide the CORRECT info for you.
#218 of 407 Re: Instrument Cluster [soundofury]
Oct 04, 2009 (10:53 pm)
That's bull. No way you should have to pay for labor. Especially $100. If they go that way with me I'll tell them to order the part and I'll fit it myself. It's not that difficult. 10 minute job max.
#219 of 407 Speedo Cluster 05 Silverado
Oct 14, 2009 (9:51 pm)
If anyone is curious, I purchased 05 Silverado new. Speedo went out with 130,000 miles. I knew it wouldn't get covered under warranty so I had it fixed through online company. I removed it myself, mailed it to company and they replaced all guages with non-defective parts. the same day they received it for $129.00 I paid $24.00 shipping and got it back in 4 days.
I would not get new one from dealership for two reasons, 1. The price was $480.00 and 2. the one they sell you has same defective parts, so it too will go out.
If anyone is interested who rebuilt mine just let me know.
#220 of 407 Re: Instrument Cluster [soundofury]
Oct 27, 2009 (11:31 am)
Sorry, but it seems no dealership will fix problem . You have to have the right vin # to qualify. Elliot is no more informed than the rest of the gm dealers.
Frank at customer service at GM is a big A--hole so if you talk to him just be ready for the run around.
One thing for sure, I will never buy a GM product again and if you do---GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Owned 3 4-runners and 3 camrys before this piece of crap and will be seen in the future at (Japanese) dealerships.">
#221 of 407 Re: Speedomter Letter [needafix]
Oct 30, 2009 (10:09 am)
What "speedometer letter" are you refering to? I'm having the same issue.
#222 of 407 Re: Speedo Cluster 05 Silverado [firemedic_buck]
Nov 05, 2009 (12:46 pm)
If you don't mind me asking....Where did you ship that to get it fixed? I'm having the same issue with my fathers 2004 Chevrolet Suburban.
#223 of 407 Re: Speedo Cluster 05 Silverado [firemedic_buck]
Nov 05, 2009 (9:23 pm)
I am interested in where you got the speedometer fixed. ICan you post a link? 'm having the same problem as everyone else with my 2003 Trailblazer, and I want to just fix it myself.