Last post on Aug 22, 2008 at 11:00 PM
You are in the Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable
What is this discussion about?
Ford Five Hundred, Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable, Future Vehicle, Sedan, Wagon
#501 of 530 Re: Taurus vs Sable [thegraduate]
Jan 13, 2008 (9:53 pm)
My original post was to inquire if there was any difference between the 2008 Taurus and the 2008 Sable, and any advantage of buying one over the other.
#502 of 530 Re: Taurus vs Sable [ronsmith38]
Jan 13, 2008 (9:59 pm)
I saw that and understand that. Since I can't tell too much difference in them, I didn't respond to your post. I responded to the post below yours, which was on a different topic (although for some reason it was "replying" to yours).
#503 of 530 Re: Taurus vs Sable [ronsmith38]
Jan 14, 2008 (8:26 am)
Other than minor styling differences, they are the same car. Mercury is not selling well and there are pretty persistent rumors that the marque will go the way of Oldsmobile. For that reason, I would (and did) go with the Taurus. There are some awesome deals out there on it, too.
#504 of 530 Re: Taurus vs Sable [thegraduate]
Jan 14, 2008 (9:52 am)
"The 2008 Sable is a completely different animal - so much so that the old Sable (which was based off of a design that debuted in 1995 as a 1996 model) should not even be in the same sentence as the new one."
Another reason the name change from Montego was STOOPID.
#505 of 530 Re: Taurus vs Sable [brucelinc]
Jan 14, 2008 (9:55 am)
Only 2 possible reasons to buy the Mercury:
- If you're a woman (that's their target demographic).
- or you like the Mercury grille better.
Else, they're exactly the same. Makes one wonder what IS the reason for Mercury.
#506 of 530 Re: Taurus vs Sable [jeyhoe]
Jan 14, 2008 (1:27 pm)
It's a real shame, but truly there isn't any reason to buy a Mercury. The public has figured that out and the remaining dismal sales reflect that knowledge. The boneheads responsible for the direction of Mercury these past few years should be forced to repay their salaries and bonuses and be shown the way outa town.
#507 of 530 Re: Taurus vs Sable [ronsmith38]
Feb 01, 2008 (10:59 pm)
Here are the differences I could find between the base 2008 Taurus (SEL with no options) and the base 2008 Sable:
1) Exterior styling differences that are obvious (grilles, fake side vents on Taurus, none on Sable). I think the Sable has the edge here.
2) The fake wood on the Sable is a "colder" color than on the Taurus. I prefer the warmer feel of the Taurus interior.
3) Sable comes with the analog clock. Base Taurus does not. Edge to Sable.
4) Sable steering wheel spokes are silvery metal-like stuff. Taurus spokes are leather covered. A draw as far as I'm concerned; our son liked the Sable steering wheel better.
5) The interior convenience group on the Sable is $100 less than on the Taurus, and it includes power pedals. However, the price of the base Sable is a few hundred dollars more than the Taurus. Depending on how you equip the cars, the Taurus and the Sable can cost almost exactly the same.
The differences are pretty minor. We ended up getting a Taurus mainly because we found one equipped exactly how we wanted it (base model with ESC only), and I didn't like the colder feel of the Sable interior.
#508 of 530 Re: Taurus vs Sable [capella]
Feb 02, 2008 (7:26 am)
What you found is that they are the same vehicle. There's no more difference between the Taurus and Sable now than there is for example between an Explorer Eddie Bauer and an Explorer Limited. No one pretends the Explorer models are different brands, just because the grills, side trim and interior appointments are a bit different. As I said before, whoever brought Mercury so low should have gotten their walking papers long ago.
#509 of 530 Re: Incredibly Lame [gsemike]
Feb 02, 2008 (4:00 pm)
They renamed it do move from the weak 3.0 duratc engine,now they can promote the 3.5 duratec that it comes with as well as side markers,a few minor redesigns etc. The best deal is to get it 2 years old,youll get it half price,look for a lease return. FMC is doing a major remix,its the last year for the Lincoln Town Car (stupid move) and there phasing out the Grand Marquis.
#510 of 530 Re: Incredibly Lame [gregg_vw]
Feb 02, 2008 (4:03 pm)
I agree,the Taurus name was a big winner for 5-6 years after it came out beating Camry as best selling mid-Size but Camry's far ahead of any Ford.