Last post on Mar 25, 2007 at 9:31 PM
You are in the Subaru Impreza
What is this discussion about?
Subaru Impreza, Car Buying, Sedan, Wagon
#1 of 22 Subaru Impreza Test Drive - What Did You Think?
by PFFlyer@Edmunds HOST
Nov 07, 2006 (10:00 am)
Post your Impreza test drive impressions here.
#2 of 22 STI test drive
Jul 08, 2006 (1:24 pm)
I stopped by a Subie dealer today looking for '07 brochures, and while there I said it's too bad dealers won't let customers test drive STIs, and the salesman said: "You want to test drive one? No problem." I was shocked!
Okay, it was basically a "teaser test drive" in that it only lasted maybe 3 or so miles, but even so, here are some very quick impressions:
• It's very similar to my WRX, but more intense.
• It's very easy to drive, and not a hard to control beast.
• I wasn't blown away with the power, as I was just getting the feel of the car, and really couldn't exploit it—and being a new car I wouldn't want to do that anyway. Oh, it's fast, don't let me mislead you here, but I just didn't find it that much quicker than my WRX. I'm sure with more time, and with a broken in model, I'd probably come away more impressed.
• I liked the close-ratio 6-speed a lot. I wish my car had that. I spent most of the time getting familiar with shift points—geez I wish I had more time to spend with it, as 3 miles is waaay too short a time...
• It doesn't have a gear indicator in the tach, and I wish it did. With 6-speed close-ratio trannys sometimes I forget which gear I'm in. Heck, that even happens sometimes with my 5-speed WRX. The Acura TSX 6-speed has a gear indicator, and I appreciated having that featue when I drove it.
• When I got back in my WRX, it seemed a bit slow.
#3 of 22 Re: STI test drive [rsholland]
Nov 08, 2006 (6:48 am)
Some dealers still do that, probably to scare away joy-riders.
Fitz had a sign on their Legacy GT spec.B that said no test drives, I was shocked. It has 243hp, gimme a break!
Dec 01, 2006 (6:32 pm)
What happened to the promised Subaru unveiling at the 2007 LA auto show?
#5 of 22 Re: LA auto show? [merrycynic]
Dec 04, 2006 (9:15 am)
Did they promise that? I didn't hear that rumor.
I think we'll see big debuts at Detroit and maybe again in Chicago or NY.
Next year we should see a totally new Impreza and a significantly updated Tribeca.
Dec 04, 2006 (5:00 pm)
Subaru didn't, Edmunds did.
#8 of 22 Re: STI test drive [rsholland]
Jan 14, 2007 (10:36 am)
I drove several sti's the past 2 years and liked them but am waiting for the 08 model. No matter what changes they made to wrx/sti the past few years, it is still a platform that goes back to 1993!
If suby is going to stay competitive and take more market- share, it has to improve and update to stay competitive with the big guys. Otherwise, it will stay on the fringe.
We bought an 01 Outback and it was a terribly built car. Also, the dealerships were not up to quality standards as toyota and honda in regards to warrany work. And, they need to make it bigger inside cockpit for taller Americans. We almost bought an 07 Legacy wagon, however it had WAY less room in front than our 03 Murano. However, quality of that Legacy was much better than our 01.Darrell.
#9 of 22 Re: STI test drive [dborla01]
Jan 17, 2007 (9:26 am)
The 02 model was substantially upgraded. You can tell because the crash test results improved dramatically. Even though the wheelbase was the same, the vehicle was quite different.
Same for the 03 Forester. Even major parts of the structure were changed, the roof rails and front and rear bumper beams became aluminum for instance.
Feb 02, 2007 (9:27 am)
Can someone give me some feedback on the reliability/durability of the base model Impreza 2.5i? I am looking at a 2007 model, wagon, brand new for quoted price of $16,100. Is that a good deal? I know they are AWD, but they are kinda small so how are they in the snow?
Thanks for the feedback