Last post on Oct 30, 2012 at 5:15 PM
You are in the Ford Ranger
What is this discussion about?
Ford Ranger, Ford
#1 of 165 99 XLT Intermittent Brake failure
Oct 20, 2006 (6:22 pm)
The truck stops fine (most of the time)on occassion and its becoming more frequent just prior to a complete stop the pedal goes down with a mushy almost vibrating feeling and I keep rolling ahead 2-3 feet.
I had a new M/cylinder and ABS Module installed yesterday and a major brake job 2 mos ago. The brake booster is good and there are no vacuum leaks or fluid leaks.
A scan shows everything ok.
Thks for your advice.
#2 of 165 Re: 99 XLT Intermittent Brake failure [buster15]
Oct 21, 2006 (8:16 am)
The Chilton manual says:
"Warning: Vehicles with 4-wheel anti-lock brakes require an anti-lock brake adapter(t90p-50-ALA) and jumper (T93T -50-ALA)in order to bleed the master cylinder and HCU. Failure to do so will trap air in the HCU unit, eventually causing a spongy pedal."
#3 of 165 Re: 99 XLT Intermittent Brake failure [buster15]
Feb 15, 2007 (6:01 pm)
Dave, did you ever figure out your problem as you described?? Just happened to me exactly the same way, please respond
#4 of 165 2000 Intermittent brake failure
Feb 28, 2007 (8:51 am)
I have the same problem. The Ford dealer performed a PID monitor test of wheel speed sensors with all reading correctly. Ford Tech hotline stated that one sensor probably reading "dirty voltage" checked voltage readings each wheel speed sensor while braking. One wheel sensor was inconsistent with the others so they changed out speed sensor.($480)
But... the condition is still there so I returned to Ford dealer. Now they say that they suspect wheel speed sensor, wheel hub tone ring is internal in front hub. They are unable to see ring itself so they what to replace hub. What do you think?
#5 of 165 The brakes are cheap
Mar 09, 2007 (2:02 am)
I have the towing package brakes with the 11 inch rotars.
Cheap garbage, a brake job costs me 150 dollars every thirty thousand miles, and I do it myself. The rotars warp, the pads wear unevenly, and the bearings are shot each time. Someone told me it has to do with the ABS, and that it can warp your rotars and do a lot of damage. What do you think?
#6 of 165 Re: 99 XLT Intermittent Brake failure [frankx]
Mar 14, 2007 (4:47 pm)
Sorry for the late reply,
After a new M/cylinder, ABS unit and a lot of down time, Ford diagnosed it as a faulty front left wheel sensor. Cost was $690 cdn. I noticed driving in snow is at times scary. When I picked up my truck a lady was in service with a 2003 Escape, same problem.
This is my last Ford... ever... I am going European. Too bad for Ford and they can't figure out why their profits are down and their plant closures are more frequent.
#7 of 165 Re: 2000 Intermittent brake failure [brutus1750]
Mar 14, 2007 (4:52 pm)
I got sucked for the front left wheel hub assy too. They build the sensor into the hub so it is non-replaceable. A tacky way to screw you for your $$$$. It seems to have fixed the problem by 97%. I suspect the other 3% is the right side starting to go.
#8 of 165 Re: 2000 Intermittent brake failure [buster15]
Mar 16, 2007 (10:53 am)
I just got my '01 XLT 4x4 fixed. Same problem. They replaced the front left sensor, but not the whole hub. See my posting in the maintenance and repair thread. Reply #2469. I had shared info with Buster15 there in the past.
#9 of 165 Re: 2000 Intermittent brake failure [buster15]
May 05, 2007 (5:58 am)
Hi Buster15 I also had the same thing happen on my 2000 Ford Ranger and I am going to take it into the shop. I was wondering if you have change out the other sensor or if your truck has improved . It sounds like the brake systems being more complex the mechanics just pick a maybe part and hope it will fix the problem Thanks for your posting I think it will save a lot of people some $$$.
#10 of 165 Re: 2000 Intermittent brake failure [gene23]
May 05, 2007 (5:30 pm)
After alot of incompetence on behalf of some questionable mechanics, the right side has not been changed. I notice if I am slowing down 3-5 mph and crank the wheel hard right I get the same symptoms but not as bad. I am afraid to deal with the local dealer here as a lack of trust exists (they always lift 500-800 bucks from your pocket).
The truck was not good on the snow this past winter so (hopefully) come fall I am going for a Santa Fe.
By the way I got all my money back for the new ABS unit and Mastercylinder.