Last post on Mar 14, 2013 at 8:16 AM
You are in the Cadillac CTS/CTS-V
What is this discussion about?
Cadillac CTS-V, Cadillac CTS, Sedan
#2018 of 2880 re: Should Have Been Painted Bright Yellow by pmc4
Jan 27, 2008 (7:45 pm)
I would be concerned. I really like the 2008 CTS. I am strongly considering buying the 2009 model. As a matter of fact, I am a raving fan. But this is the kind of post that will sway me to stay with the Japanese cars and get the G35. I recognize that Cadillac may need to work out some kinks in the new model. That's one of the reasons that I am waiting for the 2009 models. But I won't put up with major problems like leaks, engine light coming on and bad ABS sensors in the first 1,800 miles. GM...I hope you are listening.
On another note, GM and the Cadillac team, if you are listening, you did an awesome job on the 2008 CTS. It is gorgeous! The most gorgeous and capable American sedan in many years. I do a double take everytime I see one and I still am looking forward to buying a 2009 at the end of this year. The exterior design is striking and fresh. The interior is the best interior design and has the best fit and finish that I have ever seen in an American car. But that does not mean that I don't see room for improvement. I see qualities in other directly competitive cars that the Cadillac missed and should have as well. So here are a few of my suggestions for the 2009 model:
1) BLUETOOTH - I know you are already going to have this since it's in the new CTSV. But just in case, I thought I would mention it.
2) SUNROOF COVER - The translucent cheesecloth cover for the sunroof. This is unacceptable. The cover needs to stop the light from coming through. The sun here in Florida and I suspect in other parts of the country like Texas, California, Arizona, and Nevada is just too strong. The shade needs to completely block out the sun. The other option is to offer a traditional sunroof.
3) SATELLITE ANTENNA - The cheap looking black plastic satellite antenna you are using is not the best idea. Most quality cars use a color matched satellite antenna. The BMW 328i, even the Honda Accord has a color matched cool looking antenna. I saw a new entry level Saturn sedan today in the supermarket parking lot, and it had the same cheap black plastic GM antenna stuck on the front of the roof. Come on Cadillac....I know you want to conserve costs by using universal parts. And you should wherever possible. But you should not do so when it cheapens the look of the car.
4) CENTER CONSOLE - Work in improving the surface of the plastic you are using on the silver plastic of the center console. There is a lot of silver plastic there. It looks good but I am a little nervous about scratching it. Why not use a different metallic texture like Infiniti did on the new G35? Or something that seems more like metallic. You obviously took some cues from the Audi's. But the CTS interior is still not up to the quality level of say the Audi A6 or the Lexus GS300. Why not go the extra step and really make the interior as superb as Audi and Lexus? I wonder how much it would cost to tweak a few things and bring the interior quality up another notch?? And the knobs on the CTS console are not as good as the Audi's. The tactile feel is a little plasticky when turning them versus the Audi knobs which have a tactile feel like the knobs on a fine stereo. Again, just bring it up another level. I am sure you have this higher level of refinement available. Just do it! Also there is really no room to put anything more than an iPod in the center console storage. Where are we supposed to keep our stuff? I realize that the rear air conditioning vents are there. But still. People need room to keep a small yet reasonable amount of stuff in their center console. Work on an improved design with more room for stuff.
5) SEATS - The CTS seats are good. But again. they are not as good as the very supportive and just perfectly comfy seats on the Audi's. the BMW's or the Volvo's. Why not be one of the best in seats, Cadillac?
Well, that's it. I hope you are listening Cadillac. These probably won't stop me from buying the car. But they are valid suggestions.
And when you want to hire me to give you honest opinions. I am here. :shades
#2019 of 2880 re: Should Have Been Painted Bright Yellow by pmc4 [tntmyth]
Jan 27, 2008 (8:20 pm)
Thanks for the sensible reply to my post. My wife and I both loved the new CTS as soon as it came out and even before when you were seeing all the auto show pictures. Ordered one as soon as possible and took delivery on October 29th actually now that I look at the records. We both loved the styling both interior and exterior and the car drew and still draws looks wherever we go in it. Unfortunately that has been pretty much nowhere the last month. We live exactly halfway betwen Oklahoma City and Dallas. The last trips to either have been made in my Avalanche. My wife has lost all trust in the CTS to get that far away from home in it. The 2008 has it all over our old 2005 in styling, but the 05 never had a mechanical problem, and the 08 looks like it will be a constant source of trouble. I am already looking at other cars, cause I won't put up with one that gives me as much trouble as this one even if it is in warranty. I am 54 years old, and I trade cars a lot. I was trying to remember and I think I have bought 17 new GM cars and trucks in my lifetime. NO MORE, looking at the Lincoln MKZ now and maybe the Toyota Avalon, those are about the only other choices I have in my town cause I won't buy a car that I have take to OKC or Dallas for service. Imagine what a nightmare that would have been with this car. Well, thanks again for the SENSIBLE reply to my post. I assure you the problems with this car are real, and I really hope that it is an isolated case.
#2020 of 2880 Reply to rcantwell
Jan 27, 2008 (8:42 pm)
Perhaps the 2005 model CTS had no problems because the model had been out for a few years and they had time to get out the kinks. This is no excuse for Cadillac of course The Japanese cars are usually not problematic even in the first year of a model. But the 2008 CTS is the first year of the model. My dad always told me, don't buy the first year of a model. I am 45 now, and I still heed his advice. I wish you the best of luck with the Cadillac. Maybe it will redeem itself after you get through these annoying issues.
#2021 of 2880 re: Should Have Been Painted Bright Yellow by pmc4 [tntmyth]
Jan 27, 2008 (9:40 pm)
“2) SUNROOF COVER - The translucent cheesecloth cover for the sunroof. This is unacceptable. The cover needs to stop the light from coming through. The sun here in Florida and I suspect in other parts of the country like Texas, California, Arizona, and Nevada is just too strong. The shade needs to completely block out the sun. The other option is to offer a traditional sunroof.”
I live in the Silicon Valley, San Jose, California.
If they come to their senses and realized that the cheesecloth sun-shade is just for toys not for a luxury cars, or build a CTS with a traditional sunroof I would buy a fully loaded one today. I'm waiting for 2009 Model hoping they'll have that option; otherwise I'll go for Mercedes, I’m sure they’re going to treat me with respect and cover my head from the sun, when I don't need it, with an opaque sunroof shade..
#2022 of 2880 Re: Reply to rcantwell [tntmyth]
Jan 28, 2008 (3:51 am)
Yeah, I have always been told the same thing, this time I let my passion for the new style overtake my reason. Looks like I am regretting it, but I reasoned that I was buying the same engine that I had NO problems with in my 2005. Oh well, maybe I will find out something today, the service men are starting to scurry like mice when they see me coming. My service advisor is a smart ass young kid. Got smart with my wife on the phone the first time the car was in the shop. Said no rentals were available. I sternly pointed out to him that one of the privileges of being a Cady owner is that they WILL provide a rental,not might. After our first discussion, he has had a change of attitude where our car is involved. I am sure he calls me a jerk to my back, but he is very polite and respectful to my wife and I now. Maybe I will get a call this evening that it iall fixed. Yeah and pigs fly too. Thanks for letting me vent on this forum
#2023 of 2880 Re: Reply to rcantwell [rcantwell]
Jan 28, 2008 (5:02 am)
what type of problems are you guys incurring?? I have had the car for about a month now (DI, RWD, Premium Lux, FE3)...driving in the northeast, cold winter starts, etc...only about 500 miles on it and so far, THANK GOD no issues...i'm concerned reading blogs here...please advise.
#2024 of 2880 Re: Reply to rcantwell [adnanz]
Jan 28, 2008 (5:56 am)
Just remember that sqweaky wheels (even foul mouthed ones) seem to get the most attention. You do have to wonder if the guy with the problem approached the service manager with the same attitude (and language) as he did in his response above...and if perhaps that resulted in a less than cooperative attitude on the part of the dealer.
As for the problems, well, statistically, there are going to be some problems out there because it's just cost prohibitive to make everything perfect (even the FAA's risk analysis on aircraft assumes that there will be failures). I do have have to wonder, though, for those that trash a produce based on one bad purchase: The first time they have a serious argument with their wives do they turn off on all women and turn gay??
#2025 of 2880 Noise from rear of vehicle
Jan 28, 2008 (7:08 am)
Hi everyone... I'm having an issue with my 08 CTS and want to see if I can get some help with it.
While idling in drive, the car makes a rumbling/rattling sound from the rear end (it's kind of hard to describe). It doesn't do it all the time and at times its louder than others. If I release my foot from the brake, the noise stops. I'm not sure if it's an exhaust thing or not.
I've taken it to the dealership twice and they could not duplicate the issue. I picked it up Friday evening (1/26) and as soon as I pulled out of the dealership it started doing it again. I turned around and went back to the dealership and my service advisor took a ride with me again. This time he was able to hear it.
So it is back at the dealership today. Hopefully they can find and fix the issue... it's annoying!!
Have any of you experienced the same/similar thing?
#2026 of 2880 re: Should Have Been Painted Bright Yellow [rcantwell]
Jan 28, 2008 (8:31 am)
After reading your post... I think the main problem is your attitude!!!