Last post on Sep 08, 2008 at 4:38 AM
You are in the Dodge Caliber
What is this discussion about?
Dodge Caliber, Performance Mods, Wagon
Oct 18, 2006 (9:58 am)
A reporter from a large daily newspaper is looking to speak to women who are current Dodge Caliber or Compass drivers. The reporter would like to discuss why you purchased the vehicle. Please provide your daytime contact info to ctalatiedmunds.com no later than Wednesday, October 18, 2006.
#19 of 37 2.0 with stick shift, PZEV emissions, ABS standard
Jan 02, 2007 (10:40 am)
These are the changes I'd like to see:
2.0 as an option with the stick shift, included with the SXT package;
PZEV emissions in the green states (where I live - it's not just better for the environment, the cat converter and a lot of other emission parts are then covered for 150,000 miles).
ABS standard - the more I think about it, although studies don't see a safety benefit from ABS (due to operator mis-use - taking the foot off the brakes when it pulsates) this is a matter of education, not the equipment. Every time it rains out here I get nervous not having ABS, and I don't see how those of you in the snow states can live without it.
#21 of 37 From the factory I'd like:
Apr 02, 2007 (9:17 pm)
Sunscreen glass (just like the Compass), cruise control, tilt/telescoping wheel, and better sound deadening materials to control road noise.
#22 of 37 Re: Dodge Caliber: Changes You'd Like To See [pf_flyer]
Apr 05, 2007 (1:55 pm)
I've had my SXT (2.0 CVT automatic) for just over a year and here's what changes I'd like to see:
1. Either some sort of light over the back seat or a switch to turn the rear interior light on. It is so dark at night in the back seat, the kids can't find their seat belt buckles very well.
2. I agree with the door and center console armrests being too hard.
3. I agree with the lack of need for a glove box air conditioner.
4. It's hard to fit almost any size cup/bottle in the center console's second cup holder when the armrest is slid forward...much less how hard it is to get anything out of it.
5. I agree with the blind spots, both at the front A pillars and at the back C or D pillars. They are a bit big, but I've gotten used to them.
6. I like the hard plastic/rubberized interior surfaces for looks, but they are very hard to clean. Anyone come up with a good way or material to clean the textured plastic?
7. It would be nice to have a spare tire mounted with the valve stem facing up so I can check the pressure without taking the whole thing out.
8. I noticed this past winter that when I have the heat blower on my feet only, I can't hardly feel anything. After I get twenty minutes away to work from home, it finally starts to feel warmer, but there is no noticeable air flow on the floor like there is coming out of the vents when the dial is pointed there. Related: when the dial is set to blow on my feet only (not feet and defrost), why is there so much noise coming from the defroster area of the dashboard?
9. The computer won't let me select recirculate on the HVAC when I have the heat on. I realize this is supposed to keep my windows clear by keeping the humidity down, but shouldn't that be my choice? In my old car ('94 saturn sl2), when it was recirculating, the heat was a whole lot warmer a whole lot faster.
10. What are we supposed to use to protect the black plastic trim on the outside of the vehicle in leiu of wax, like the body?
11. I would like to see a strap or handle on the liftgate to make closing it easier.
12. The seatbelt for the center occupant in the back seat is awkward to run over the back of the seat from the rear of the car...especially when somedays I have things to haul/carry and then need to transport kids.
13. How about a better wiper on the back window? Mine just streaks and I can't find better branded wipers in that length (seven inches, I think).
14. A central door lock/unlock button on the front passenger door would be nice. Sometimes I need to open that door to get something out and would like to be able to press a button right there instead of using the batteries of my key fob.
15. I'd like more bolstering on the front seats.
16. How about outside mirrors that fold or break away. I've had my Caliber for just over a year and my driver side mirror got smashed (vandalized) already. It might not have been so bad if it had folded when they hit it or if I had it folded in so it would have been less likely to have gotten hit. It was only $66 to get replaced, though.
17. There are two trays on the center console that are all but unusable. I can't even get my hand down to the one on the passenger side of the console, much less get anything to stay in it (coins, I assume is what it was meant for). The one up next to the gear selector could be deeper to hold more coins and somehow needs better access-I have a hard time getting my hand in that one, too.
18. Why don't cars have the parking brake lever on the floor like they used to, instead of taking up console space? If it were moved to the floor, there might be enough room to have more storage in the console bin and/or have the cupholders side-by-side and provide a little more room for the two awkward trays.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Caliber. But, it is brand new and has a few kinks that could be worked out to make a whole lot more people more satisfied to own/drive one and for more people to choose to buy/lease one.
#23 of 37 Re: Dodge Caliber: Changes You'd Like To See [kenoyerb]
Apr 05, 2007 (4:07 pm)
Use Mr. Clean Magic eraser to clean the plastic parts.
#24 of 37 Re: Dodge Caliber: Changes You'd Like To See [kenoyerb]
Apr 05, 2007 (6:33 pm)
Tuff Stuff cleaner is excellent for plastic,and also any other interior fabric.It foams up real good and lifts the dirt away from the pebbled surface.my R/t doesn't have the heat distribution prob that yours has.Maybe it's an internal lever prob with the system.
Yes pillars are big,too big.
11. I would like to see a strap or handle on the liftgate to make closing it easier.- We just got a Honda CR-V and the liftgate on that is amazingly light.It's one of the things my wife hates about the Caliber compared to her car.
#25 of 37 Re: Dodge Caliber: Changes You'd Like To See [pf_flyer]
Aug 08, 2007 (6:42 pm)
Things I miss the most:
* Remote rear door/trunk release. I'm ambivalent about it being on the keyfob but it'd be nice to have it near the driver's seat.
* Tachometer isn't available on SE w/CVT. This makes zero sense to me given the importance of RPM with the CVT -- I'd say that it should at least be an option for the 2.0 upgrade on the SE. And come on, it's not that much more expensive.
* Master power lock control on the front passenger door.
Things I'd like to see changed:
* AFAIK there's no good reason for the HUGE amount of space between the console and the windshield. A smaller windshield that will take a Wal*Mart sun visor would be wonderful; and just angling it differently will keep it from becoming a visibility problem.
* At least one storage area with a door, easily accessible from the driver's seat. I've had my sunglass case go flying more than once.
* Please, please, please don't force the CVT into economy mode at 20 mph. It plays havoc in stop-and-go traffic.
* Automatic door locks when the car is taken out of neutral/park as opposed to 15 mph. I manually lock mine when pulling through dark parking lots.
* I'll echo the comment about the cup holders being impossible to reach with the armrest extended. Having them that low also has caused me problems.
* Body color moldings instead of that black stuff.
I'll also echo the comments about the Chill Zone being a neat little toy but certainly not all that.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Caliber, but no car is perfect and this one (like any other) has room for improvement.
#26 of 37 Re: Dodge Caliber: Changes You'd Like To See [airnos]
Aug 24, 2007 (8:13 am)
Everyone has some thing that does not meet their
wishes/needs in a new car.
1.-Remote release for hatch,the lock switch on door
next to driver.
2.-If you have not had your dash apart then you
can't appreciate all the bits and pieces crammed
between you and the windshield.
3.-Unless your are short in arm length then either
the glovebox or storage above it is where I keep
my glasses.I would like either to lockable.
Good point with regards to the door locks and
the cup holders.
Bodyside mouldings don't bother me as my Caliber
is black and again I agree about chillzone,
it sort of works but not a biggee for me.
Aug 31, 2007 (10:35 am)
1. Remote release for hatch.
2. Lockable glove box.
3. Parking brake lever on floor.
4. Something else for the rear middle seatbelt.
5. A reverse light on the dash - Have a 5-spd, half the time when I think it's in reverse, it's in 4th. A light on the dash would let me know for sure it's in reverse before I let out the clutch.