Last post on Oct 27, 2006 at 7:51 PM
You are in the Ford Windstar
What is this discussion about?
Ford Windstar, Van
#2570 of 2608 Fixes to common small problems...... buy a sledgehammer or read below
Aug 09, 2006 (10:03 pm)
1. Lift gate won't open - There is a clip that holds a little bar to the handle. This clip is plastic (it's a Ford so what can I say?) On the 95's this clip is yellow. In high temperatures the clip will expand and come unfastened. If it doesn't come unfastened it will just break. Take the inside panel of the liftgate off. Yes, it can be done with it closed. You can manually release the trunk by twisting the metal piece that the lift gate cables are attached to once the panel is off. Take a screw driver and refasten the clip around the bar. Can be done with tiny fingers but a screwdriver makes it much easier. Reattach the panel and enjoy the use of your lift gate again.
2. Rearview mirror false off - Again a high temperature (and sometimes low temp) problem. There is a professional mirror adhesive at autozone you can buy. The cheap stuff won't work because of a coating on the windshield.
3. Sway bar snaps - Go to a junk yad and pick up another one (about $45), buy a repair manual for your model,order the link kit from Auto zone ($14), Do it yourself for much cheaper than the dealership. Then you might want to file a complaint here http://www.nhtsa.gov/
4. Reverse (or any other gear) won't engage - This is where you will need a sledgehammer. File a complaint at http://www.nhtsa.gov/ and then take it to a mechanic for a complete transmission overhaul unless you can drop a tranny and fix it yourself. The overhaul will cost about $2000. Basically the pistons in these lovely tin cans are made of alluminum and break apart. Have them replaced with custom parts (not Ford) if you can. The custom parts are made out of steal.
5. Check engine light comes on and the van shutters right around 40MPH or 1500 to 2000 RPM's (codes P0301 to P0306). You may also notice gas in your oil - If you are unsure of the gas in the oil then remove your dipstick and sniff it. If you smell gas then guess what? This seems to be a bad computer. A mechanic will tell you it just needs a tune up and then it will need wires, then a coil pack, then it will need fuel injectors, finally they will tell you that the computer is bad too. When you first take it in request that they put a new computer in to test if that's the problem before you pay hundreds of dollars in useless repairs.
6. To lean or too rich (codes P0171 to P0175)- You have a bad MAF sensor. It is in line with the air intake and right near the air filter housing. It has wires hanging out of it. Pick up a new one at your trust auto parts store, buy a manual while your there, and take the 10 minutes you would spend stressing over how much the repair would cost by a mechanic and just replace it.
Please feel free to ask me any questions. I will answer what I can from personal experience with my lovely Ford Windstar. I will be purchasing a Dodge Caravan when I trade this one in. If you want to know if you should purchase that Windstar you saw cheap in the paper then ask yourself why it's so cheap. If you can't come up with an answer then read the thousands of posts on this forum. If you still don't have an answer then go to http://www.nhtsa.gov/ and read the complaints, TSB's, investigations, and recalls for the Windstar. If you then decide to purchase it then I have some ocean front property in Iowa for you to take a look at. I'm selling it real cheap.
#2579 of 2608 Re: P0174 - Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Gaskets - Ford Stinks!! [mikec123]
Aug 15, 2006 (9:56 am)
Could you provide me the "new" Part Number of the "redisigned" valve cove? May be you have it from the dealer when they said "it needs the redesigned valve cover that will prevent oil from traveling into the intake manifold via the PCV Valve and ruining the internals of the intake manifold".
Could you comment me how is working the car after the works done (2005)?
Could you provide me the part number of the PCV valve used?
I have a Windstar 2000 and I belaeve it is the problem.
Thanks a lot