Last post on Aug 03, 2009 at 7:41 PM
You are in the Volkswagen Jetta
What is this discussion about?
Volkswagen Jetta, Sedan
#13 of 22 looking at a jetta
Aug 28, 2007 (6:27 pm)
I am looking at a 1995 Jetta GL with about 110,000 miles on it. It's automatic, and the dealer is asking $3000. I have read a ton of reviews of 90s Jettas having a lot of random but aggravating problems (door locks fall through, unexplainable and unfixable oil leaks, etc). Are these problems things i should be worried about?
Whats the track record for older Jettas?
#14 of 22 Whats the Difference?
Sep 26, 2007 (9:01 pm)
can any one tell me the difference between a GL and a GLS???
#16 of 22 Re: Owner's service manual [adjei1]
Sep 27, 2007 (1:35 pm)
1) I would recommend the Bentley factory manual or a Chilton's manual.
2) The speed sensor on the transmission needs to be replaced.
3) Make sure all belts (timing belt, serpentine belt, power steering belt) have been replaced.
4) Make sure the engine oil and transmission fluid / transaxle oil has been changed (engine oil - every 5,000 miles, transmission fluid/transaxle oil - every 30,000 miles)
5) Make sure there are no signs of leaks on the engine, transmission or cooling system.
6) Check the coolant in the reservoir. Since your car is a 1995, the color of your coolant should be blue or green. If it is green, then you can use the older green glycol-based coolant. If it is blue, you need to use the blue G-11 coolant. Do not under any circumstances mix these coolants with the newer G-12 (Red) coolant, otherwise the chemical reaction between these coolants will mix into a gel - clogging your engine's water passages which will lead to overheating.
How many miles (kilometers) are on the car?
#17 of 22 Re: Should I buy this jetta? [axeeffect]
Jan 16, 2009 (7:23 pm)
Well consider this, I'm looking at a 02 with the 1.8T with 86k miles, in extremely good condition that's being "offered" at $5999.00. Not sure if this is the best Jetta buy in my area (Mn) but it's close.
#18 of 22 Re: looking at a jetta [steamboat26]
Jan 16, 2009 (7:29 pm)
95 Jet for 3k???? I say TOO MUCH! Wouldn't pay any more than 2k at most (although 110k miles is pretty low miles for that year) still.....
#19 of 22 buying mid 90's Jetta
Jan 25, 2009 (2:15 pm)
I'm looking to buy my daughter a mid 90's Jetta,anything I should be looking for besides the obvious,RE:brakes.engine ,tranny,clutch.Be specific,I'm an experienced mechanic,Just hoping for a few tips,thanks everyone
#20 of 22 Re: looking at a jetta [gforce211]
Jan 25, 2009 (7:34 pm)
If this is any help for you i recently bought a '97 for 1700. it had 160k but it was kept up extremely well.
#21 of 22 looking at 01 TDI
Jan 27, 2009 (5:50 pm)
I'm looking to get rid of a car payment by selling my 07 civic, and looking at a 01 jetta TDI, 150K mi. The owner is asking 5,000. Any thoughts?
#22 of 22 Used Jetta warranty transfer policies
Aug 03, 2009 (7:41 pm)
Hi~ I'm looking for buying used 06~08 Jetta.
I already know about New Jetta warranty info that
3 years/ 36000mi for basic/power train
I wonder that whether the remaining warranty will be transferred to the 2nd owner(ME!!).
Is there any warranty penalty for 2nd owner?