Last post on Jul 07, 2010 at 6:23 AM
You are in the Mazda Mazda5
What is this discussion about?
Mazda MAZDA5, Performance Mods, Wagon
#115 of 124 Cockpit lights
Sep 02, 2009 (11:07 am)
I'm a brand new Mazda5 owner as of two weeks ago. I purchased it specifically to have a modestly sized vehicle that would carry either people or my harp and would actually fit into my carport. One of the things I find disconcerting is the utter lack of dash lighting (specifically the gear shift area) unless the headlights are on. I try to take pity on my poor neighbors and not turn my headlights on as I back out of my carport in the wee hours of the morning and it's as dark as the inside of a cow in there until I can turn the headlights on. I have to turn the overhead light on to see the gear shift. I still don't have an owners' manual so maybe there's a setting for this I don't know about yet? If not, this would be a change I'd definitely like to see.
#116 of 124 Re: Cockpit lights [zzzingg]
Sep 02, 2009 (11:27 am)
You can turn the lights switch to "position lights" only, so only the markers will turn on, the headlights will stay off. The dash will also illuminate.
#117 of 124 Re: Cockpit lights [vicenac]
Sep 02, 2009 (4:34 pm)
Cool! I'll try it first thing in the morning! No more gear-shift groping in the dark!
#118 of 124 Re: Cockpit lights [vicenac]
Sep 02, 2009 (4:56 pm)
Yup and silly question to zzzingg, Why would you need to see the gear shifter to put it on reverse?
#119 of 124 Some things I would like to see.....
Jun 03, 2010 (6:49 pm)
Just picked up my 2010 5 Sport. While overall I'm pleased with it, there are a few things that I wish it had, I can't imagine would cost much to change:
1) For an automatic trans, all doors should lock when shifting out of Park and unlock when you take the key out. This is a great safety feature.
2) Daytime running lights! Another safety feature. This is required on the Canadian models so why not keep it for the US models? I know the GT model has autosensing lights as part of the rain sensor but I don't want all the bells for a safety feature. If anything, I wish the lights would just shut off when I turn the key off, everything else shuts off!
3) Parking brake chime. Okay we all have left the parking brake engaged, don't lie! In addition to the light on the dash, it would be nice to have a chime in case you don't look down at the dash. Like the seatbelt chime.
4) I wish the console between the front seats had a lid. Nice to throw spare change or a few buck in there, ezpass/other transponders/gps and just flip the lid closed. Sure you can put the gizmos in the glove box, but cars have been broken into for a roll of parking quarters in the center console.
5) Flip-out keys were cool when they came out 10+ years ago. Now we've progressed to a fob and some makes don't even require the key to be inserted (ok, that's a Jag, but I have to pay $300 for the key anyway so might as well make it a cool key fob). Maybe that's not a cheap enhancement, but to me the key assembly is too long when in the open position and feels like it my knee could snap it off.
6) "Shark fin" style antenna. Standard antenna was too long and hits my garage door so I replaced it with a 3-section one from the local parts store that I leave collapsed. Still picks up stations well.
7) Another charge point for the middle row.
Well those are just some observations after a couple weeks of ownership. Bigger ticket items/trim levels would be motorized sliding doors, power seats (maybe even ones that adjust to the driver based on the key, or rather the fob, that unlocks it), etc.
#120 of 124 re back row seats
Jun 10, 2010 (10:57 am)
I would like to see the area under the sets on the middle row raised about 2 inches or the floor dropped by the same back to the foot area of the 3rd row. This would make a massive improvement in the foot space and allow easer sliding of the feet under the seat in front. The back row because the seat sits so low that if the floor for the 2 back seats would allow feet to go under the seat in front. This bending in the floor metal also increases the structural strength of the floor.
I would also like to see slots put in the sides of the back area so that one could put a shelf to put light things on them. I would also like to see a hook higher in the back corners to allow the net that you can put to hold things down in the back could be put across the very back of the opening to put things in that will not slide forward.(yes the back bit slides in to the slot to make that in theory hold things but in actuality it will not hold to long before it slides out and releases.
i would like to see the day time running lights to also turn on the back lights(this also has proven to decrease accidents)
The front individual arm rests should be replaced with a larger one that incorporates a storage bin to charge a phone (with 110 volt option) and also be used as a large shared arm rest.
also to have the tray option on the backside of the front seats for the second row people this is available in other countries.
also a solar vent to remove excess heat when car is sitting in the sun.
more powerful battery on cold winter days there are times when it seems like the car barely starts
available glass tinted windows not the after-market tint. again this is available in other countries.
proper sunroof there is enough head room to have one that goes inside the roof space. the opening one now actually is tiny compared to the actual size of the sun roof glass and if you add the wind deflector the opening becomes only a few inches.
heated cloth seats not just heated leather seats
bright colours like fire engine red and yellow ie younger colours.
back up camera and or parking sonic distance system
standard blue tooth and mp3
DIESEL ENGINE lol
#121 of 124 Re: Some things I would like to see..... [ts_m5]
Jun 15, 2010 (3:23 pm)
I hope they don't start bringing auto locking cars here. I hated that "feature" on American make cars.
#122 of 124 Re: re back row seats [athenasius]
Jun 15, 2010 (3:24 pm)
There are otches that accept the Mazda made cargo cover, which in a sense is a shelf.
Anyway, lots of changes will come to the 2011 model, including larger seats and consoles.
Jul 05, 2010 (4:38 am)
Of all the nice features on the 5 the one that annoys me the most is the lack of auto dimming dash lights! My commercial Freightliner Sprinter can handle it why can't a Mazda 5? Of course one can do it manually but then the next day its raining and now they are too dark..............
I can't believe they missed that one how hard can it be?
#124 of 124 Less electronic gadgets
Jul 07, 2010 (6:23 am)
I disagree with all the requests for more electronic stuff like automatic doors and seats. This just adds more expensive to a fantasically priced car and really drives up repair costs. (Mu husbands Jeep Grand Cherokee has had every electronic gadget break at very high cost to repair)
I do think a Diesel would be great and also a manual option.
I would like to have a low gas chime though. I have many times looked down to see my yellow light on and I am never sure if it just turned on or if it has been on a while and I am toast. Haven't run out yet.....