Last post on Dec 03, 2013 at 2:35 PM
You are in the Toyota RAV4
What is this discussion about?
Toyota RAV4, Engine, SUV
#128 of 142 Re: 2011 Battery problems? [robidrew]
by Stever@Edmunds HOST
May 04, 2013 (11:49 am)
You do hear similar complaints now and then and it's usually with newer cars with more electronics. Here's a recent tread on Edmunds Answers from a newer Ford owner with dead battery issues.
#129 of 142 Re: 2011 Battery problems? [steve_]
May 04, 2013 (11:55 am)
Thanks for the link. A very interesting read.
#130 of 142 Re: 2011 Battery problems? [robidrew]
by Stever@Edmunds HOST
May 04, 2013 (12:09 pm)
I have a '97 and a '99 in my garage, and both cars sit for weeks at a time (I basically drive the '97 just for 4 winter months). Yet they always crank.
I have a trickle charger and I guess it'll get plenty of use when we finally break down and buy a new car (hm, I guess "break down" isn't the best word choice there. ).
#131 of 142 Re: 2011 Battery problems? [steve_]
May 06, 2013 (12:01 pm)
Isn't that ironic.
I did email Toyota Canada and this was their response:
"Thank you for your recent email.
Your Toyota dealership is responsible for determining if the condition meets the criteria for coverage under warranty, and we fully support their advice. As such, anything your Toyota dealership advises, Toyota Canada would stand behind their decision.
We thank you again for taking the time to write."
So they completely didn't address the concern or answer any of my questions. We talked to family and friends this weekend and no one could believe we are having these problems. We heard example after example of people leaving their cars for extended periods and starting no problem. And here our car is driven almost every day! Unfortunately, we just don't trust our Rav anymore and since Toyota Canada has ignored our concerns and the dealership has, we are going to sell. Now we just have to figure out what to buy instead. It's a real shame.
#133 of 142 go for the honda
Jun 03, 2013 (7:15 pm)
Just got a RAV4 6 cyl - 2010..... sorry to hear there's battery problems.
I usually drive min 30 mins and usually more like 60, except the ocassional 5 min trip to the store.
It's not a v6 but the honda was next in my book after the rav4.
Hate to move down on gas mileage, but was then looking at the Sorento and the Tucson.
#134 of 142 Sunroof water leakage / radio cutting in and out while driving
Jun 09, 2013 (3:05 pm)
I have a Toyota rav4 2007 limited , I had the car for 3 yr and lately I have been parking under a tree which caused my sunroof drainage to collect dust and leaves, basically water leaked into the driver side looking thru the forums I was able to fix it but now I notice that the radio cutting in and out and the a headlight wouldn't turn off automatically yesterday but this morning was working great and everything els works fine.
I am guessing that the water got into it, did anyone els had the same problem and if so how was it fixed, is it possible that its just a fuse since the fuse box is located by the driver side or its electrical. I will greatly appreciate your response
#135 of 142 Re: Sunroof water leakage / radio cutting in and out while driving [nafi2013]
Jun 14, 2013 (12:11 am)
I also had this exact problem, which began as a mystery... It was clear that the problem occurred when it rained. I have a RAV 4 2010 Limited only 26,000 miles. Happened twice beginning in May 2013 and then in June. Began with locks not working properly, beeping noises in error, radio skipping, and then battery died on the morning I had a speaking engagement... Thank God my daughter was visiting with a car and drove me. Later on a jump successfully started the car. The dealer listened to the symptoms as though it was a strange unknown problem and replaced the battery no charge. Problem seemed resolved until a month later, big rain occurred and symptoms returned. I figured the rain was somehow causing problems. Noticed leak from sunroof and water on passenger seat. However, the dealer wanted to assure it wasn't some other matter. Finally, the problem was narrowed to water getting on the electrical harness. The harness was maintenanced and problems seem to be resolved for now. The dealer was very thorough and accommodating - I am grateful. However, this is a very scary vulnerability; for, the electrical harness problem seems to drain the battery, affect the locks, kills the radio intermittently, and basically affects the general operation of the vehicle. I do not know if I will purchase another car that has this vulnerability - regardless of the make or model. Thank you for your post, this really helped me to understand and see that this is a known vulnerability.
#136 of 142 Rav4 starting and electrical issues
Jun 15, 2013 (4:45 pm)
I have a 2010 Rav4 which I consider the worst car I have ever had but that is not why I am posting. I am looking for help. My lease is up the end of this month and last night after I shut off the car, or at least the engine the push button stayed lite as well as the dash board lights and nav. I tried to start it again but the pedal was hard and nothing happened. I could not turn off the electrical system without disconnecting the battery terminals. This morning I reconnected the terminals hoping that the system would reset itself but nothing different. I disconnected the terminals again and left it all day till just now and still the same problem. I have 55,000 miles on it so I am well out of warranty and really don't feel like fixing a car I am returning the end of this month nor repairing a car I consider way over priced for the cheap piece of crap it is.
So does anyone have any clue as to what I can do short of paying the dealer?
#137 of 142 Re: 2011 Battery problems? [robidrew]
Aug 02, 2013 (12:10 pm)
My wife and I purchased a 2011 Rav4, Limited Edition, on November 5, 2011. No problems with the vehicle, around 17000 miles, until Saturday Morning, July 20, 2013. Went out to start and move the vehicle in my driveway and I noticed the following.
1. The evening before there were a stream of severe thunder storms that passed through our area in Harrisburg, Pa.
2. When I touched the handle on the driver door, it opens without making any noise. In fact all of the doors locks were open. I always lock the vehicle when I am finished using it.
3. Upon sitting in the drivers seat and pushing the start button with the brake depressed absolutely nothing happened.
4. Every electrical device in the vehicle was in an off state and the dash was blacked out.
5. Contacted, Toyota Care and they have a local tow company come out and using a booster he finally got the vehicle to start. He indicated that the alarm system was active on the vehicle and that the battery was totally dead. Suggested I drive the vehicle to my Toyota dealer and have them change the battery.
6. Followed the tow guys advise and took the car to my Toyota dealer. The service advisor swore that they had never heard of the problem I was having and spent the afternoon charging the existing battery. Picked up the Rav4 at the close of business. Rep said that Toyota called for recharge only and no battery replacement.
7. Car started and ran fine until the evening of Tuesday, July 30 when my wife and I were out shopping and after gassing up and running to the grocery store, when we got back in the vehicle, I noticed that the door locks opened without me touching my key or even touching the door handle. We go in the vehicle and I failed to start at all. The alarm light was flashing very fast red and the battery light was on my gauge lights. Nothing was working and we were again unable to start the vehicle.
8. Called Toyota Care and while giving them information on where we were and the problem, after about 30 minutes, I decided to try to start the car again and it started.
9. Car ran fine and I made an appointment for today, Friday, 8/2/2013.
10. Car has been at the Toyota dealer since 7:30 am this morning. It is 4:06 and it is still at the dealer and they have not returned my calls.
Very disappointed in the Dealer and Toyotas lack of response to the problem with the vehicle. Did I mention that I have keyless entry and starter on the vehicle. They do no good at all when the vehicle is disabled.
Is there anyone out there with similar Rav4 problems?