Last post on May 30, 2007 at 10:42 AM
You are in the Lexus IS
What is this discussion about?
Acura TL, Lexus IS, Lexus IS 350, Sedan
#1 of 447 Acura TL vs 2006 Lexus IS 350
Jun 08, 2005 (9:39 am)
I have been looking for a premium sports sedan and have always liked the TL ever since my cousin bought the 2004 model. However I have recently learned about the new Lexus IS and think it is going to pose a serious threat to the TL. Also I feel it has some the luxury features missing in the TL. Here is a comparison:
1) Displacement - TL=3.2l IS350=3.5l
2) HP - TL=270 IS350=300+
3) Torque - TL=238 IS350=275+
4) Acceleration - TL=6.5secs IS350=5.5-5.9secs
5) Weight - TL=3570 IS350=3525
6) Transmission - TL=5AT IS350=6AT
7) Transmission with sport mode (that is still automatic but upshifting in much higer revs - similar to BMW) - TL-No IS350=Looks like yes
8) Drivetrain - TL=FWD IS350=RWD
9) Plays MP3 - TL=no IS350=Yes
10) Keyless start standard eqpt- TL=No IS350=Yes
11) Rear backup camera with Nav - TL=No IS350=Yes
12) Ventilated Front Seats - TL=No IS350=Yes with heated seats
13) Paddle gear shift on steering wheel (F1 style) - TL=No IS350=Yes
OK before you bite my head off here are some other observations:
1) Features - are items 9-13 listed above that important to decide a car upon - No. But they are nice to have.
2) Price - I like the fact that the TL has everything as standard yet you still have to add options to the Lexus.
3) Size - The TL is a longer car, though it seems that the wheelbase is now going to be almost the same. I am waiting to see how the legroom is going to compare - (I am tall)
4) Drivetrain - If Acura launches an AWD model that will really be something. AWD is being offered by Lexus on the lower powered IS250.
5) Styling - This is very personal but I like both cars a lot.
6) Power - If Acura can't up the power to 300+ to match because of the RL isn't that a problem? The IS350 has more torque than the RL.
#2 of 447 Re: Acura TL vs 2006 Lexus IS 350 [spinaker]
Jun 08, 2005 (1:24 pm)
Yes, I agree the IS should be an interesting competitor. I would only be interested in the AWD version. What's the power/torque of the IS250? What are the expected MSRPs? And published reports on the IS yet?
#3 of 447 Re: Acura TL vs 2006 Lexus IS 350 [spinaker]
Jun 08, 2005 (3:24 pm)
On paper the IS 350 looks great, those are some awesome performance numbers. I looked at the pictures on Edmunds, and it looks like a pretty sweet ride. That is a lot of equipment and power, so price will be the big factor. I wouldn't mind taking it for a test drive!
#4 of 447 TL/IS Coupe
Jun 09, 2005 (7:18 am)
I understand that the IS350/250 will be offered in a coupe format later. Does this signal that Acura should dust off the CL for rerelease?
Will the IS coupe be a retractable hardtop similar to the SC?
Acura needs to up its HP and Torque to stay competitive, but are they that concerned with being competitive with Lexus, Infinity, MB, Audi and Cadillac?
FWD must be either trashed in favor of RWD or replaced with SH-AWD
#5 of 447 TL/IS350/G35
Jun 15, 2005 (4:45 pm)
I like the look of TL, interior/ exterior wise. But it seems you are comparing 2 cars that are very different in some aspects. 99 cu ft vs 91, RWD vs AWD, price: 40K vs 32K.
Personally I drive a G35 which is very close to TL in terms of size and price and features. I did consider TL before, but once I test drove them I decide to take G35 because of the RWD. It's rarely to find a car tuned so comfortable on LA road surface but still provide a lot of fun/thrill when you push it to the limit. I'm not saying it matches BMW, but it's a lot closer compared to TL.
Give G35 a try!
#6 of 447 Re: TL/IS350/G35 [dlin71]
Jun 15, 2005 (6:35 pm)
I have test drove a G35 coupe and loved it, test drove the sedan didn't like it much.
#7 of 447 IS350 HP quote
Jun 28, 2005 (12:00 pm)
Just thought the board might be pleased with the following info:
i just received an email back from a lexus dealer in SO CAL stating that the IS350 will be bringing in 320 horsepower; it read,"The BMW will hav 65 LESS horse power "....if that is correct, and the estimated price being 5-7 k less as was also stated...im sooooo leaning towards the IS. As much as i have been looking forward to purchasing the 330i, it appears as though the IS ahs so much going for it.
#8 of 447 Re: IS350 HP quote [lmnop93103]
Jun 28, 2005 (7:18 pm)
If the IS has over 300 hp+, and handles great, the Japanese have out Germaned the the Germans!!!
#9 of 447 Re: Acura TL vs 2006 Lexus IS 350 [spinaker]
Jun 29, 2005 (3:20 pm)
I am going to be getting a new car in the first three months of next year and the TL and IS 350 are also at the top of my list. So far, I have driven the TL as well as the 330i, G35, A4, and even the RX-8. I can't wait to test-drive the new IS to see how it compares to the TL. Here's my take on what I do know about the TL and IS:
1) Assuming the IS tops out around $42k, the Acura is $6,500 cheaper with a premium level of equipment. (nav, bluetooth, etc.)
2) The Acura is arguably better looking. This is in the eye of the beholder.
3) The TL probably will be cheaper to insure.
1) The IS is RWD and won't have the Acura's torque steer issues.
2) The IS has more horsepower and significantly more torque.
3) Lexus is the most reliable car on the market, and has better customer service than Acura.
4) The pictures of the IS interior look great. Acura's interior, while certainly better than Infiniti, is not up to par with Lexus or Audi (or even the new 3-series).
5) The Lexus has several optional features not available on the Acura, such as those you mentioned.
6) Some TL owners have been complaining about reliability issues. Check out Acura message boards and read for yourself. You do not see similar problems reported by owners on the Lexus message boards.
7) If you're trying to impress people, Lexus obviously has more prestige than Acura.
All that said, I think the Lexus is worth the extra $6,500 if you've got it to spend. If nothing else, I would not buy a TL until you've at least driven the new IS. Also, if you aren't looking to keep the car much longer than a couple of years, you have to consider the Germans, especially the BMW and its free maintenance.
#10 of 447 Re: Acura TL vs 2006 Lexus IS 350 [mtl1978]
Jun 30, 2005 (8:19 am)
Also, if you aren't looking to keep the car much longer than a couple of years, you have to consider the Germans, especially the BMW and its free maintenance.
Good assessment of the advantages of each, but looking to the germans if you're only going to own the car for a couple of years makes no sense. Toyota (Lexus) is generally known for their reliability, so the chances of actually needing repairs in the first couple of years are slim. To pay a few thousand more for a car (BMW 330i) when all you really get from it is a few free oil changes doesn't make sense. Plus with Lexus, you don't have to deal with iDrive!
Anyone know if the IS will come with bluetooth or ability to plug in your ipod/Mp3 player. I have not seen anything to that effect. Little things...but it may come down to some of the little things that would help me decide between these two cars.
Also, I am 6'3. I have sat in the TL in both the front and back seats and was surprised to see how much room there was in the back. It's hard to tell from looking at the pictures if someone my size could fit in both the front and back of the IS. Anyone have any insight into that? Maybe it's just a pipe dream of mine to find a compact sport sedan that can fit someone my size in both front and back at under 40k....besides the G35...but who wants that with those touchy brakes...my wife already complains that I brake too hard, the last thing I need to do is give her another excuse to side-seat drive.