Last post on Apr 25, 2010 at 7:22 PM
You are in the Lincoln Navigator
What is this discussion about?
Lincoln Navigator, SUV
#2 of 196 Re: 2007 Lincoln Navigator [navigator89]
Feb 07, 2006 (7:48 pm)
Is this the thread about the new Lincoln MKN? Will it include the 'L' version? I guess the MKNL? Oh, man, this is too much. All right, to be fair, it's pronounced 'Mark N L'. ... Isn't it?
BTW, I like the look of the tail. Although perhaps they didn't have to use *exactly* the same lights as the Zephyr. Er Z. Ooops, is that Carlos Ghosn's lawyer on the phone to Lincoln now?
Yeah, the tail's nice, the interior looks at least as nice as my '04, though I *think* I like the dark wood in mine better than this light wood. But overall it's nice inside.
The grille is another thing. The grille is SO bad that I think it would keep me from buying it. Apparently, I've heard, the "thinking" at Lincoln, assuming some actually occurs there, is that SUV grilles should now have the 'eggcrate' look (but I thought that was the look of FORD SUVs, see Expedition, Explorer Etc) while the cars will keep the waterfall grille. Now, how EXACTLY does this change build brand recognition? After all, that's what they're saying is the reason for the change to the MK_ names - SO the names will be so stupid, the owner will call the car a Lincoln. Geez, the front end of my '04 Navigator IS Lincoln if Lincoln is anything. BIG BOLD BEAUTIFUL WATERFALL grille. This thing I see in these pictures from the front is not a Lincoln. It looks like a Chevy, with the chrome extending into the headlights. It looks like a RAM with the HUGE chrome piece in the center of the hood. Gawd it almost looks like a bug shied! The overall look is even worse than the Avia er ... MK X (Mark Ten?) and that reminds me of the AMC Spirit.
Hey, I'm sorry but that nose - even Barbra couldn't live with THAT nose.
#3 of 196 Re: 2007 Lincoln Navigator [heyjewel]
Feb 08, 2006 (6:38 am)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course. I can see where some people won't like this grill. It is a rather strange interpretation of the look adapted to the MKX grill--which looks more classically 1960's Lincoln (though I wonder how the decision was made to add classic Lincoln CAR flavor to the Lincoln trucks, and then take the actual cars (MKZ and MKS) in a whole other direction).
I don't find the new front end any more offensive than the old one, which I had gotten used to as saying "Lincoln truck." However, the 2007 look is much more angular and different than the 2003 revision had been. As I have said before, the Navi deserves a NEW BODY after having sported this one since 1998. The new front end underscores that...it looks disjointed to me grafted onto the old body styling. Re-using the 1998 body in 2003 worked with the front and rear changes that year. IMHO, this does not work as well. The 1998 body styling was nice, but it should be gone by now. It is old, and no longer up to the competition.
#4 of 196 Re: 2007 Lincoln Navigator [heyjewel]
Feb 08, 2006 (11:38 am)
Lincoln hasn't officially announced what the name for the Navigator will be under their new naming system so as far as we're concerned it will be Navigator...for now. Most likely they will call it MKN. The long wheelbase version will probably be the MKL. MKNL just sounds stupid and I sure hope they dont call it that.
I cant stand the new tail. The Zephyr lights look horrible.
My pick in this segment is now officially the Cadillac Escalade.
#5 of 196 Some pics for those who haven't seen
Feb 08, 2006 (12:00 pm)
#6 of 196 Re: Some pics for those who haven't seen [dc661]
Feb 08, 2006 (5:05 pm)
It sure looks like they intend to call it Navigator, what with all the Navigator badges all over it. If they already know the Zephyr is MKZ and the Aviator is now MKX, you'd think they'd already know this one's name too--given they are all being released for sale at the same time.
Maybe that Mark LT thing is screwing them up. MKLT??? MKL? Is that the pickup or the extended Navi? MKT? MKN? How come none of the letters indicate anything like size or position in the line-up or whether it is a car or a truck? Why is EVERYTHING in the line-up a "Mark" now?
This Navigator sure doesn't look nearly all-of-piece as the 2007 Expedition does. At least the new front clip of the Ford sort of goes with the old body. Trowel on the chrome, Lincoln...see if that will work.
Meanwhile, Cadillac has the sales lead, an attractive ALL NEW body and 403 hp. Makes me cry, because I have always liked Lincolns better. Until this century, anyway.
#7 of 196 Re: Some pics for those who haven't seen [gregg_vw]
Feb 08, 2006 (6:39 pm)
"It sure looks like they intend to call it Navigator, what with all the Navigator badges all over it. "
Yeah, well they swore up and down a month ago when they announced the MKS and MKX that the Zephyr would remain "Zephyr". But that changed this week. This whole naming thing is pathetic. And imagine the cost of it. This is exactly what happens when a company, any kind of company, becomes defocussed and begins flailing around trying to right a sinking ship with voodoo and mirrors instead of staying the course and building on what you've got that is good.
My wife used to work in marketing for a (then) well known software company. They became complacent and competitors began to eat their lunch. Then the flailing began: name changes, advertising campaigns, new glossies mailed out, new focus on giving the customer what they want under another new name. Etc etc. Now, 10 to 15 years later the company is all but gone. They are now famous for simply filing lawsuits trying to get others to pay for name and licensing fees. I think that Lincoln is well down this road.
I speak as someone who owns 2 Lincolns and is quite pleased with both of them, though I am fully aware that they are not perfect. I also own 2 Fords and each of these is a good, reliable vehicle. But I do not like what I see in the "Way Forward".
Briefly, what has Lincoln donw in the last 7 or so years?
1) Dropped the Mark VIII coupe. Replaced with nothing.
2) Dropped the Continental. Replaced with nothing.
3) Dropped a fine (IMHO) tag line - "American Luxury" - along with "What a luxury ___ should be." and then dreamed up and dropped several other lamer and lamer 'slogans' like "" and "" and now "Reach Higher". (Sorry, for the life of me I can't recall these lame slogans though I commented on how bad they were in the past. I guess they were forgettable as well as bad).
4) In a dramatic coup, released the LS, which became Motor Trend's Car of the Year and was even praised by the "unbiased" testers at Consumer Reports as "the best American Sedan they ever tested". This well-made sedan shared it's platform with the Jaguar S-Type and, while it's appearance both in and out won no awards, it's performance on the track was the equal of the standard - BMW.
5) Let the LS languish for 7 years, pausing only to make some much-needed interior improvements and add some HP but cancel the good will this generated with enthusiasts by discontinuing the 5speed Getrag transmission option in the car's 4th year.
6) Cancelled the LS, the best Lincoln in many years after letting in languish. Complaining it was too expensive to build. (Comment - perhaps if they had given it an interior and exterior truly worthy of a luxury car they could have charged premium prices for it.)
7) Decided to compete in the 'mid-size' SUV market. To do so, took the blueprints for the Navigator, inside and out and put them in the copier set to 'Reduce' until they fit the Explorer platform. Rushed the vehicle out the door and it was perhaps the most trouble-prone Lincoln in a long time.
8) After 3 years, cancelled the Aviator.
9) Began working on the next-gen Aviator alongside the Ford Edge (which does not, at least I presume it does not, replace the Explorer).
10) Began working on a replacement for the LS. Called the Zephyr. Released the Zephyr before it was ready. The car is panned by many as underpowered and not competitive in the entry luxo setting. Notably the car has a 6 speed transmission, but the driver has NO control over it's operation. A FWD appliance car if there ever was one.
11) Someone (he or she should be hunted down and neutered) convinced Lincoln that no one knows what a Lincoln is because people call their cars 'Town Cars' or 'Navigators' etc, so to build 'Brand Image', Lincoln should name their cars "MK _" where "_" is some letter which seemingly stands for nothing. And they BOUGHT it.
12) Announced in Detroit in Jan 2006 that all Lincolns from now on would be named this way and showed the "MK S" which some say will be the Lincoln flagship sedan but others say there is another even bigger car in the works to fill this role, and the "MK X" which they said is what the vehicle they were calling the Aviator will now be called. Oh, but wait, they also said the Zephyr will be the exception and will continue to be called the Zephyr.
13) The MK S and MK X received little to no positive press at the show. (Comment - personally I like the MK S, but would have preferred something which builds on Lincoln cachet rather than tries to copy Acura, Lexus, Audi etc and didn't have such a feminized interior; but I think the front end of the MK X is butt ugly.)
14) Someone convinced Lincoln that their SUVs should drop the familiar waterfall grille and pick up chromized egg-crate grilles (which is what the Ford SUVs have sported for years). Thus the MK X (which looks more like a 70's AMC Spirit than anything else) and ...
15) Showed the 2007 Navigator - hey wait a minute - "Navigator"? What happened to "MK _"? No word on that yet but the vehicle shown has Navigator badging. Unfortunately, it also has an egg-crate grille which IMHO is about the ugliest horrendous-looking front end on a car since the Checker. Although I have a Nav and love it, I wouldn't be caught dead in this new one.
16) Oh, wait, back to the naming thing - remember the "Zephyr"? Well, they announced that it will be discontinued and it's replacement will be called the MK Z. Yep, they (basically) cancelled the Zephyr within 6 months of it's release, replacing it with what it should have been to begin with perhaps.
Does it seem to anyone else that they are totally cluless? Seriously.
#10 of 196 Navigator wallpapers
Feb 08, 2006 (9:22 pm)
Go to desktopmachine.com and navigate around and you can find some amazing quality wallpapers to download. I got the one of the interior, because I dislike the exterior so much.
#11 of 196 Re: Some pics for those who haven't seen [dc661]
Feb 08, 2006 (9:25 pm)
That grille is awful, looks like chicken wire!