Last post on Jul 11, 2013 at 8:07 AM
You are in the Automotive News & Views
What is this discussion about?
Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, smart fortwo, MINI Cooper
#9819 of 9848 Re: Mazda 2 [fintail]
Feb 04, 2013 (12:15 pm)
Last chance to get the wonderful 2GR-FE V6 in the RAV4.
Oddball trivia - it's the quickest Toyota C&D tested from 0-60.
No argument on the interior - it's cheap all right. Remember I looked at one and that turned me towards the Sienna. That and the wrong-way opening door, which they finally fixed.
And my 2007 is pre-cost cutting, the newer Siennas are not as nice.
After sitting in many Toyotas back to back with Fords and Chevys and Nissans, though, the yotas still seem to be the best assembled. Nissan is most inconsistent, some are nice others are crap. Chevys are nice when you get up to Impala/Enclave prices. Ford C-Max was the biggest disappointment of the whole show for me.
#9820 of 9848 Re: Mazda 2 [ateixeira]
Feb 04, 2013 (12:19 pm)
Makes me not want to lose my embrace of lightly used highlines with a good CPO or aftermarket warranty.
When a mommymobile soft roader designed for people who dislike cars and driving is your fastest car, you're doing it wrong
#9821 of 9848 Re: Mazda 2 [fintail]
Feb 04, 2013 (12:19 pm)
The Sonic is another one I'd be curious to drive. It actually has some torque. I've been pretty happy with the Cruze rentals I've had, so a hatch version that's lighter and is available with the stick sounds pretty good. LTZ with the new big touchscreen could be a nice car.
#9822 of 9848 Re: Mazda 2 [ateixeira]
Feb 04, 2013 (12:35 pm)
After sitting in many Toyotas back to back with Fords and Chevys and Nissans, though, the yotas still seem to be the best assembled.
We didn't really pay close attention to the Toyotas, other than sitting in a Camry to see how it compared to other midsizes. One thing I'll say for 'em...at least they're not using electrical tape for blackout trim anymore.
Actually, one thing I liked about the Camry was that it felt like the front seats used bigger cushions than most midsized cars. In some cars, like the Fusion and Accord, it seemed like they were using seats that were a bit small, like they were better suited for a compact car. The previous Nissan Altima seemed like this to me as well, but I didn't really notice it on the new one. The main thing I remembered about the new Altima was that the seats seemed thicker and plusher than in the past. I know they're bragging about using NASA technology or something like that, but I think the reason they're more comfy is simple...more cushion for the pushin!
#9823 of 9848 Re: Mazda 2 [andre1969]
Feb 05, 2013 (6:43 am)
In that class the Fusion was a fail due to the tight footwell. Lots of intrusion near the dead pedal.
All the rest are comfy.
Altima is huge. Even the Sentra is huge.
Accord is comfy but the interior left me cold.
All of those felt too big for me anyway. I will check out a Versa Note when it comes out.
#9824 of 9848 OEM option prices - pocketbook pain in a BIG BIG way..
Feb 05, 2013 (10:46 am)
A Mazda example..
I don't think I have ever met a person (outside of the salesperson representing his/her brand) that is ok with OEM option pricing.
Here are just a few absolutely RIDICULOUS prices for a couple popular options on a Cdn Mazda3 SkyActive GS:
- $535.00 !! fog lights
but wait, there's more...
- add another 105 bucks for the special combo switch if you happen to have auto headlights.. WHAT?!
- $195.00 block heater - give me a break already..
Lots of other examples, but you get the idea..NO THANK YOU Mazda..who cares how supposedly wonderful your new SkyActive tech is in terms of fuel savings if you're gonna rape us so blatantly for 2 options that basically should be standard on a 21k $ car in the first place.
$723.20 (incl tax) for fog lights????? Really????????
I think I have seen absurdity like this for fog lights in the past, but I think it was on some exotic EU prize or something..not a 2nd smallest car offering from a common average Japanese brand..
And this was a stand-alone option...not one of those deals where the price reflects other crap that is part of it.. ridiculous..
Only thing worse I've read here (new Accord forum) in the past week was 470. USD for floor mats..
#9825 of 9848 Re: OEM option prices - pocketbook pain in a BIG BIG way.. [gimmestdtranny]
Feb 05, 2013 (2:05 pm)
Just go aftermarket.
#9826 of 9848 Re: OEM option prices - pocketbook pain in a BIG BIG way.. [ateixeira]
Feb 05, 2013 (6:47 pm)
Perhaps, but it is advantageous to take advantage of OEM wiring connections which are designed to resist corrosion. A bigger benefit for those who endure salted roads in the winter.
Remote start was another over-priced option and those can be very problematic with aftermarket.
IMO, cars destined for certain cold markets should come standard with block heaters. I give GM credit here in that I noticed recently all Sparks (and probably others) come standard with a block heater.
They are an engine and fuel saver and at 300 to 400 watts are super energy efficient for the benefits realized (faster heater/defroster too). And installed at the factory helps keep contamination levels in check.
#9827 of 9848 Re: OEM option prices - pocketbook pain in a BIG BIG way.. [gimmestdtranny]
Feb 06, 2013 (9:53 am)
You can also get Navi on the built-in screen for peanuts, just buy an iPhone app for it.
The car is very toy-like, though. Check out the body color bottle holders in the doors.
#9828 of 9848 Yep of all the Mazda's...
Feb 06, 2013 (8:37 pm)
the Mazda2 is the one I would buy. I like the apple green color they have. There's a 60% chance I would buy a metallic green 2 and a 40% chance I would buy a red one. Silver? I don't know, I'll check out the look. But I'll never leave Mitsubishi. Come on!
I've inspected and sat in the 2 a couple of times. Other than the tacky pattern on the seats, I like it alot. The backseat really isn't that bad. I have to push the driver's seat all the way back, which would only allow a child to sit behind me, but a shorter driver would certainly leave decent enough room back there.
Looks like it should weigh about 2,000 pounds but I'll bet it weighs around 2,600 pounds, which contributes to it's ghastly mileage being seemingly low. But that's just fine with me. It won't handle like the 1991 Suzuki Swift but it has that great small car look that is timeless and wonderful.