Last post on Oct 23, 2006 at 2:38 AM
You are in the Honda Odyssey
What is this discussion about?
Honda Odyssey, Van
#1 of 826 Honda Odyssey Owners: Problems & Solutions:(2005+ Models)
by Mr_Shiftright HOST
Jan 06, 2006 (12:26 pm)
This topic is for Honda Odyssey owners to discuss problems and share information on all 2005 on up models of this vehicle. Owners of 1995-2004 Honda Odyssey Vans have their own topic: the link is here:
Honda Odyssey P&S: 1995-2004
#2 of 826 Re: Honda Odyssey Owners: Problems & Solutions:(2005+ Models) [Mr_Shiftright]
Jan 06, 2006 (1:12 pm)
Thank you, Mr. Shiftright! What a prompt response!!!
#3 of 826 Re: Honda Odyssey Owners: Problems & Solutions:(2005+ Models) [Mr_Shiftrigh
Jan 06, 2006 (1:40 pm)
Just for the record.....
16,000 miles on my '05 and no problems,
#4 of 826 New Odyssey
Jan 06, 2006 (7:37 pm)
Seems like, the previous generation Odyssey, comprising of model years 2001-2004 was plagued with the "transmission issue" and a few other not-so-significant issues.
Honda seems to have done a thorough engineering analysis of the problem and the completely re-designed Odyssey (2005+ model years) seems to have eliminated this issue. Knowing Honda, I would venture that to salvage their renowned reputation, the newly redesigned transmission is over-engineered to be pretty much bullet-proof.
21500+ miles on a 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L with Navigation and RES....no significant problems to report till date. The only issues encountered are irritants like wind noise emanating from the front windshield (dealer replaced some kind of rubber moulding and it seems to have almost eliminated the noise), sound from the hard brake-pads during low-speed braking even though it does not seemingly impact the braking performance (In my case, eliminated after dealer replaced original brake-pads with softer ones, and rotated the rotors), and a characteristic noise when VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) is activated, during certain rpm ranges (Does not bother me at all).
Other than the above minor irritants, absolutely no problems at all.
#5 of 826 Thank you
Jan 07, 2006 (12:47 am)
Thanks for starting 2005+ discussion. I was little scared of my decision of buying Odyssey. I bought last week and have only 200 miles on it. No problem so far but certainly hear wind noise-B
#6 of 826 Re: New Odyssey [aaykay]
Jan 07, 2006 (3:34 am)
Has Honda solved the problems with the automatic side doors? I contacted the Honda Corp., and they informed me that the 2006 100,000 mile + extended warranty covers all the working components of the automatic side door assembly. I am planning to trade my 2003 Accord for a Odyssey sometime after April 2006. I had the opportunity to ride in a 2004 Odyssey and I found the vehicle to be very comfortable. There just might be an Odyssey in my future before next winter. ---- Best regards. --- Dwayne
#7 of 826 Seat problem
Jan 07, 2006 (8:50 am)
My wife's '05 Touring has had the backpanel of both front seats pretty much disconnect around the edges and now resemble more or less a big mud flap. The pockets are only used to store the headphones. Anybody else had this problem? I've never seen it ANY car let alone a Honda.
#8 of 826 Re: New Odyssey [djm2]
Jan 07, 2006 (10:17 am)
I owned a 2003 Odyssey for 2 yrs/ 30K. Great car, but the 2005 I have owned for a yr/ 15K is sooooo much better in every way: Handling, ride, quietness, climate control, safety features, front seat support and comfort, etc., etc., etc. Once you have driven an '05 or '06, I'll bet you won't settle for an '04 or earlier.
#9 of 826 Re: Seat problem [storkdude]
Jan 08, 2006 (9:44 pm)
I have the same problem. The dealer has been unable to permanently fix the problem. I've had it in several times. I will also mention that the fit and finish is not very good throughout the whole van. Notably, the passenger airbag cover is warped, the glove box does not line up with the dash, and there are rattles after only 7k miles. I would reconsider my purchase if I could go back in time...
#10 of 826 2005+ Honda Odyssey Warning
Jan 08, 2006 (10:48 pm)
This posting is a warning to those who are considering the 2005+ Odyssey. To be fair, Iíll say what I like and what I donít like.
- Excellent looking inside and out, especially for a minivan. High-tech looking, interior especially. This sold me over the Sienna (fake plastic Toyota wood, anyone?).
- Car-like handling. Very, very impressive. Almost as good as a sports sedan!
- Smooth engine and transmission. Good power. Better than the Sienna I test drove IMO.
- Very good in the snow with then vehicle stability control. I would think itís nearly impossible to get it out of control. I tried unsuccessfully to make it waver in a slick snow-covered parking lot.
- Poor sales experience. The dealer made me wait 3 hours with my kids and then pushed me to buy models without the features I wanted, almost as if they had a certain one they wanted to ďunloadĒ on me. If you have kids, please get the DVD entertainment system! I was rushed through the process of buying, handed the keys, then kick out the door with a vehicle that was not perfect. Iím use to at least a detail job before I take a new vehicle. Hopefully this is just a fluke dealership!
- Poor Fit and Finish
1. Arm rest panels not flush. It looks like to plastic arm rest cover is ďstressedĒ and pushing up on one corner (dealer confirmed but didn't repair). I saw this on all other models after making the purchase. Check for yourself.
2. Glove box out of alignment (dealer improved but didn't repair - said it is a design defect that cannot be fixed). You can see the latch in the gap, too. In the Consumer Reports picture or the interior, you can see the defect. Every other new Odyssey Iíve looked at has this defect!
3. Dashboard cover over passenger airbag warped. It looks cheap, as the ďstraightĒ dash and the warped airbag cover creates what looks like an uneven gap-shadow.
4. Scratches on the exterior finish when bought new. Dealer touched up with touch-up paint.
5. The spare tire was loose and clanked around over bumps at 1000 miles on the odometer. I discovered the source of the problem tightened the assembly back up. No problems afterward.
6. The plastic on the interior, especially on the door sills of the sliding doors, is flimsy and scratches easily. Nothing can be done about it I guess.
7. Rattles emanate from underneath the third row seat. The rattle goes away when the seat is folded down.
- Poor reliability (I have 7000 mile on it now)
1. Steering wheel vibration
2. Alignment problems (pulling to the left, steering wheel not centered)
3. Conversation sunglass holder quit working and got stuck shut with my prescription RayBans in it.
4. Poor radio reception - crackles over bumps. Dealer says normal. Whatever!
5. Engine resonation into the cabin at low engine RPM under slight acceleration (dealer dismissed as normal).
6. Driver door window and power locks stopped working.
7. Squeaking noise / driver power sliding door when oerating. Dealer repaired squeak, but now there is a new clunking noise in the door over bumps. Now the passenger door squeaks. Iím afraid to take it in.
8. The leather comes apart at the seams during normal use. Large flap comes undone on the rear of the driverís seat caused from persons rubbing on it when entering the back. The dealer has only temporarily fixed, but problem keeps coming back.
9. A cup holder in the third row broke.
Iíd like to add that the van is noisy. When driving on coarse surfaces, the road noise is so loud that you have to nearly yell to talk to someone in the second or third row. My pickup truck is quieter! Iím very disappointed in the fit&finish of this van, along with the reliability. Iíve had three rental cars while this is being repaired. This is my first and last Honda!