Last post on Nov 06, 2013 at 1:08 AM
You are in the Honda Accord
What is this discussion about?
Honda Accord, Electrical, Engine, Coupe, Sedan
#1081 of 2107 Re: Honda Accord SV4 1995 [Mr_Shiftright]
Feb 07, 2008 (8:53 pm)
Isnt there any permanent solution to this problem,i mean,i like this car and wish to use it for long,kindly advice,
U said EGR valve,piping,means??
whats the local name for it amongst the mechanics?
and i notoce on the streering there is a cruise and set accel button,what is it for,,i dont think its working,how am i to enable it back.
whats the best shock absorbers for this model- brand and the price each in RM since i am in malaysia.
As for the auto gear,,,every morning,when i first start the car,,when i set to reverse,it wont move....after abt 3 - 5 mins then only it starts reversing,als,,when on road,..exmple driving,,,at times the gear turm to like free but indicator is at d3 or 4,why,
any solution to this,?
#1082 of 2107 Re: Honda Accord SV4 1995 [rajkmr02]
by MrShift@Edmunds HOST
Feb 08, 2008 (9:07 am)
EGR--exhaust gas recirculation. That's what everyone calls it.
The cruise control is on the steeering. That could be a problem with a fuse or the unit itself could have a bad control module. It would need diagnosis. If it is working, you just reach a certain highway speed and then press the "cruise" button and the car should maintain that speed without you touching the gas pedal. When you hit the brake pedal, it shuts off. Not sure this is very useful in Malaysia.
As for reverse gear, you should have the transmission oil changed and the transmission filter changed or cleaned, and see if that helps this problem. If not, then you have an internal leak in the hydraulic or a sticking valve, and this will require the transmission to be taken apart.
#1083 of 2107 Blown fuses????
Feb 09, 2008 (8:37 pm)
i'm driving a 92 honda accord. A few days ago my power steering went, then within 24 hrs, my signals went, then my emerg. flashers, then dash lights and horn. Finally, my gear stick locks. We replaced 4 fuses and all seemed to be working fine...for about 20 minutes. A burning smell seemed to be coming from hatch, then lights went back out. Any ideas??
#1084 of 2107 Re: Blown fuses???? [chip365]
by MrShift@Edmunds HOST
Feb 10, 2008 (9:20 am)
Check your alternator belt for slippage/looseness as well as power steering belt if it's a different belt (might all be related to belt slippage). There's nothing electrical about the power steering, so that's why I suspect belts + burning smell + lose of electrical power = alternator drive belt.
#1085 of 2107 Help. I think we're being ripped off?
Feb 11, 2008 (10:25 am)
Should a mechanic charge me 400 just to put in a directional switch for a 91 honda accord? Thanks!
#1086 of 2107 93 Accord having difficulty shifthing up
Feb 13, 2008 (11:07 am)
I am wondering if anybody has an idea about a problem I started to have with my 93 Accord, automatic tranmission (207KM). Sometimes (not always) it is having difficulty shifting up gear. rpm goes way up but the gear (and speed) does not. Seem to be happening at different gears from 2 to 3, or 3 to 4 (probably 1 to 2 as well). Seems to be worse when the engine is old, or climbing a hill. Shifting down is okay. The problem is on and off.
Is this a sign of a serious transmission problem, or could there be an easy fix (like adding some kind of fluid to transmission)?
Thanks a lot
#1087 of 2107 Re: 93 Accord having difficulty shifthing up [naydin]
Feb 13, 2008 (2:11 pm)
There is a wealth of information about transmissions (among other things) on this link. You may have to do some reading, to find the part that pertains to your problem, but it has troubleshooting/testing info. Good luck
#1088 of 2107 oil in strange places - 91 accord lx
Feb 21, 2008 (6:18 am)
Had an interesting morning today. I'll start with what happened, then give a bit of history.
- Started the car up and got on my way to work. About 5 minutes into the drive, as I was stopping at a red light, the battery and oil indicators went on simultaneously (check engine did not). This behavior isn't described in the manual, but we obviously know what the lights mean separately. I turned the car off, then tried to start it again. It seemed to almost get running, but then quickly gave up. After that, cranks rapidly but no dice. Battery is new and OK.
- Tried starting with gas pedal half in, checked oil, tank was full up with gasoline. Cranks plenty, but still won't turn over, so I called for a tow. This took forever, so I poked around under the hood. Things looked OK, but I did take off the spark plug covers (didn't have tools, so left plugs in). In the third hole from the left, I found that the spark plug cover had a substantial amount of oil around the bottom, and I could see oil pooled around the spark plug that remained in the hole. There is oil in the car, but it's at the add line.
History, which I have no idea if is related:
- Recently, when it's cold and the car will start, the car starts fine. But when driving, it takes a lot of extra RPMs to get moving (low power when accelerating). For example, I have to rev up to 3k-4k RPM just to get 5-10 MPH, then it eventually shifts up. After it's been running for a while, it seems to run with an OK amount of power.
- It's also been doing another strange thing. If I'm making a bit of a short stop (i.e., the car jerks back a little bit after stopping), I notice something like a stutter. The RPMs seem to dip, and the electrical system may even slump, then it comes right back to normal in a second or two.
- The car has a known *exhaust* problem (cracks in the system, maybe from rust). It sounds really loud from the undercarriage.
- When opening the fuel tank cap after running down to nearly empty, I occasionally hear the brief sound of escaping or sucking of air (like a change of pressure in the fuel tank in either direction).
Any ideas? I have minimal tools, but this trusty car has served well, and I don't want to throw in the towel. I have virtually no money to invest in repairing it.
#1089 of 2107 Re: oil in strange places - 91 accord lx [clghidorah]
Feb 21, 2008 (2:35 pm)
When opening the fuel tank cap after running down to nearly empty, I occasionally hear the brief sound of escaping or sucking of air (like a change of pressure in the fuel tank in either direction).
This is entirely normal. My 1996 and 2006 Accords both do this.
Sorry, I'm not much help on the other items.
#1090 of 2107 Re: oil in strange places - 91 accord lx [clghidorah]
Feb 21, 2008 (3:08 pm)
If you look down the spark plug tubes, you will see two seams, one for the valve cover, and one under the rocker arm assembly. The gaskets under the valve cover are easy to change, but the o-rings under the rocker arm assembly are a lot more complicated to change. If the oil gets high enough in the tube, it can short the plug's firing, which would cause the sputtering you mentioned.
When the car will not start, you need to figure out what is missing, spark or fuel. Next time it will not start, pump the accelerator a few times, remove a spark plug. Is the spark plug wet with fuel? If not, I would suspect either the fuel pump or the main (fuel pump) relay. If there is fuel on the spark plug, reconnect the wire to the plug, set it on top of the valve cover, and crank the engine, and check for spark at the end of the plug.
If you have any other questions about this, I will try to answer them. Good luck