Last post on Nov 28, 2012 at 10:27 AM
You are in the Ford Freestyle
What is this discussion about?
Ford Freestyle, SUV
#1312 of 1415 Re: CALLING ALL CVT ISSUES...05 FORD FREESTYLES [nutabug]
Dec 02, 2009 (8:33 pm)
My problems with my 2005 Ford Freestyle are long gone. I traded it in for a 2008 Mazda 5 in March of 2008. It had the first signs of the CVT problem as I was told that the CVT needed to be replaced.
I had bought Fords exclusively since 1990 owning a 1990 Probe, 1992 Ford Escort, 1993 Ford Ranger, 1997 Ford Explorer, 1998 Mercury Mountaineer, 2000 Ford Focus, and the 2005 Ford Freestyle. Never again Ford!! I didn't want a new vehicle, but had little choice. The dealer I bought the Freestyle from also had 2 other CVT cars with the same problem and were fighting with Ford. They were hoping that if they got their hands on my car, the 3rd car would help to give them leverage with Ford. The dealer got no where with Ford.
Good luck with your lawsuit.
Dec 03, 2009 (5:12 am)
Ours is sitting in the garage because we can not afford to fix it with the way things are today. Ours too is out of warranty - over 100,000 miles. Perhaps if you start with the safety board. Please keep us posted as to your progress. Thank you.
Have had it to two shops - only resolution is replace the transmission at 3500 +.
#1314 of 1415 Thanks for your posts thus far...
Dec 03, 2009 (5:23 am)
Does anyone know how to actually start a post, I want this to really be noticed and try to get as many people on the post as possible, I want to show the news reporter that this is a BIG problem!
#1315 of 1415 Re: CVT [mymomstewart]
Dec 03, 2009 (10:13 am)
I have an 05 Freestyle and lately when I am going under 30mph I can hear a whining sound from the tranny. Is this the problem you have had? I haven't taken it back to the mechanic yet
#1316 of 1415 Re: CVT [catmoura]
Dec 03, 2009 (12:05 pm)
The whining sound is normal if everyting else is working ok.
#1317 of 1415 Re: CALLING ALL CVT ISSUES...05 FORD FREESTYLES [yoyo123]
Dec 05, 2009 (11:44 am)
yoyo123...How's your mazda5 in comparison to your Freestyle? I have an '05 FS with75,000 miles. No problems yet, but my extended warranty ends in Feb 2010 and I like the Mazda5. How much better MPG is your mazda5 getting in comparison to your FS? How about the space inside and the ride? Just wondering your views.
#1318 of 1415 Re: CALLING ALL CVT ISSUES...05 FORD FREESTYLES [bobw3]
Dec 05, 2009 (12:58 pm)
My family loves the car. It gets about 8 mpg more than what we got on the FS as I get anywhere between 24-28 mpg; usually around 26. I have 35k miles on it. I really like it for its reliability, gas mileage, sliding doors and perfect size. I love so many things about this car that there are too many to list. I would buy it again in a heart beat. But when someone asks me my opinion, I always want to point out the things I wish it had or didn't have. This is nitpicking, though:
- tires are expensive to replace as they have a 50 aspect ratio.
- it doesn't ride as smooth as the FS, but I enjoy that it handles better.
- It will only accept a 1 1/4" hitch for my bike rack so I can only carry 2 bikes vs. 4 on a 2" hitch. Of course, if it could handle a 2" hitch, it would be a heavier car and then mpg would suffer. It's a tradeoff I have no trouble living with.
- Mazda does not recommend towing with this vehicle and I believe it will invalidate your warranty if you do. I could be wrong on this, but I don't tow, so I don't worry about it.
- brakes tend to "moan" when backing up when damp. I have read and been told that this is normal.
- It has a fan for the rear seat, but it doesn't come directly from the heater/ac. It just helps circulate the air. It doesn't seem to take any longer to warm up the back seat occupants. I just asked my kids and they have no complaints.
- It is smaller than the FS, but makes really good use of the space, so we haven't really noticed the difference except when going on vacation. I figured we can always buy a car rack and a storage compartment for much less than the difference between the cars. We haven't needed to, though.
That's all I can think of. I have only taken it back to the dealer once and that was to replace a piece of missing interior molding that we noted when we picked up the car. We have had to replace the tires; 2 at 20k miles because I hit a pot hole and damaged one of the tires and the other 2 just last week because I didn't do a wheel alignment when I replaced the first 2. I hit a REALLY deep pot hole that I saw at the last minute. I am very surprised that I didn't flat the tire and do other damage. I won't write what I am thinking as that will jinx me, but let's just say that I am very happy with its quality.
In summary, I love the car and would buy it again. Hope that helps.
#1319 of 1415 Re: CVT [catmoura]
Dec 07, 2009 (4:36 am)
The problem with the cvt issue is that can't even detect it! So I would tell you to have it checked, but if the engine light and the wrench light is not going on, then they can't run any codes! The whinning noise has been said to be normal, but who knows with these vehicles. You could ask them to run the codes, just to be on the safe side! Good Luck!
#1320 of 1415 Re: CVT [nutabug]
Dec 28, 2009 (9:15 am)
I'm in nutabug....I'm ready to take on FORD !!! I have had it ! I am going to start a Facebook Group for EVERYONE with any CVT transmission problems. Facebook has over 200 millions users.....That's a start and we'll move on from there. I will contact you once I get the group up and running..
Do you have a FB account?
#1321 of 1415 problems
Dec 28, 2009 (5:12 pm)
I have 2005 49,000 miles. Only big problem was rear brake issue. I put ceramics pads on at 15000 before rotors were damaged and now have 49000. ford reimbursed eventually. Have not had any CVT issue yet. I heard Ford switched to 6 spd because it was cheaper to manufacture.