Last post on Jul 12, 2013 at 4:53 AM
You are in the Acura RL
What is this discussion about?
Acura RL, Sedan
#754 of 897 Re: Gas mileage problems [badbuy]
Nov 29, 2006 (10:45 am)
I have a 2006 RL with the Tech package and the hwy mileage is about 26+ mpg. However, the city driving mileage is not great. I have complained to Acura about the redicously high shift points under low manifold pressure (e.g., light acceleration). The overdrive (5th) shift point will not occur until 48 mph. I drive the same route each day of 19 miles each way some local and most 60-70 mph highway. My Infinity I35 3.5L 260hp averaged 21.5 - 22.7 MPG over many years. The RL gets 20.1-20.7! I tried driving the same route a number of times manually shifting each gear at 2500 RPM and can get 24-25 MPG.
I believe that most of the low fuel mileage is caused by a "performance" shift algorythem being use rather than allowing for an economy one.
Having had a lot of experience with GPS systems and moving maps for aircraft and roads I pointed out to Acura that given the GPS integration that they could include on the DVD disk the readily available terrain information down to 1/2 minute (1/2 SqMi). This would allow dynamic shift algorythems that could be predicted prior to need just like the driver starts to accelerate as he reaches a hill and not wait until you start to slow down.
This would allow some reasonable set of shifting algorythems like "flatland, hills, mountains, etc.".
#755 of 897 Re: Gas mileage problems [badbuy]
Nov 29, 2006 (1:35 pm)
14 mpg is about right for non highway runs. I've found I can exceed the EPA highway estimate on a straight highway run. Using a VERY LIGHT FOOT on a 180 mile highway only run, I got 31 mpg. This was a conscious effort to see how high I could go. Normally I'm in the 25 mpg range on the highway. I also had under 4,000 miles when I did this.
#756 of 897 My RL '06
Dec 01, 2006 (10:12 am)
I bought my 06 RL(non-tech) on Nov. 19th. I paid $41,000 which includes free backup cam($770), trunk tray($99), splash guard($135) and wheel locks($82). And I added sealant($430, ouch! It should have been done by local detailing shop).
1. The car was so smooth, nice ride quality, no rattle, and very quiet.
2. A couple of days later I realized my RL had PAX system(RFT). Since I saw bad reviews on RFT, I asked the dealer to bring original tires and wheels. The salesman didnít know why my RL had PAX on it. Seems a Tech pack customer didnít want the PAX and swapped the tires. Anyway the dealer replaced the PAX by standard stock tires and wheels.
3. Wow! The tire noise is excessive. Even my wife immediately noticed. I thought transmission or engine noise. But it came from the tires(Pilot HX MXM4). The noise is much louder than my 10 year old Camry. I guess the noise level of PAX has been improved. But Iím not sure how long it can maintain the same level of noise and ride quality. I seriously think to replace the stock tires by Pilot Sport A/S. Acura should consider to chagne the stock tires.
4. When I picked up my RL right after the sealant job, there was a rattle from the passenger side chrome molding of the audio control console and passenger side dash board attached to the chrome. I guess the technician pressed hard the area during the sealant job. The dealer said a slip in the chrome molding was loose and they replaced. Now no rattle.
5. I feel the lack of low end torque as others. It looks the gear tends to stay at higher gear than it should be (but rpm was not low). Even if I sit in rear seat, I can feel some grinding noise/vibration. Either Acura should improve the torque or update the firmware to make sure the smooth gear transition. It is annoying. To avoid this bad feel, I have to push the acceleration pedal hard or use Manual mode. RL is lighter than MDX and has more power. I donít understand the bad feel of low end torque.
6. The gas mileage is 16.7 mpg(my commute includes 3 mile highway drives). The camry shows 23 for the same daily route. My MDX(my wife drives around town) has 16 mpg(if I drive, I can get about 18).
06 MDX(green/black): Nav. and RES
06 RL (black/black)
#757 of 897 Acura RL oil changes
Dec 02, 2006 (8:20 am)
I am up for my first oil change in my 2006 RL. I have my first oil change free at the dealership but I am curious if I will need to continue going to the dealership for the life of the car. Is the RL oil change complicated or can I simply take my car to a Jiffy Lube or a similar type of business?
Any feedback would be appreciated....
#758 of 897 Re: Acura RL oil changes [powerchief]
by MrShift@Edmunds HOST
Dec 02, 2006 (8:29 am)
go to a good independent shop or learn to do it yourself is my advice.
Sometimes dealers offer good deals on oil changes, so don't automatically discount going there. I go to the dealer. They're fast, use the right parts, know what they're doing and if there's a screw up, we know who did it.
#759 of 897 RL Electrical Problems
Dec 03, 2006 (8:20 pm)
Re: Thanks for heads up on gas mileage problems in suburban driving.
Now something else crops up. New Acura RL, now with 4100 miles on it and the driver's window controls to rear windows do not work! With cold weather, neither left or right rear windows go down from driver's controls. With warm weather, only the left rear will work.
Has anyone else had this electrical problem with a NEW Acura (2006 RL)?
#760 of 897 Re: 2005 RL Dead Battery (billlui)
Dec 04, 2006 (4:35 am)
I have a 2005 RL with 7,000 miles. Had 2 dead batteries the last 9 months. The last time was about 10 days ago. I was told by the dealer that the cause was the bluetooth phone system being on all the time draining the battery. I have found it hard to believe since I have never use it or have it hooked up with my cell phone. Also, I discontinued long ago the subscription to XM Radio and Onstar as someone did suspect about drainage was from the ongoing Onstar system for traffic conditions.
In addition, I have always turned the ignition key all the way off.
Has anyone having this problem?
#761 of 897 Dark Nav Screen - 2005 RL
Dec 12, 2006 (8:01 am)
Does anyone have a remedy for brightening the Nav screen? I have it on the brightest adjustment but the text is too faint to insert a new address, for example. Sometimes it is normally bright but it's not consistent enough to spot what conditions influence the brightness. Temperature? Lighting?
Anyone have this problem?
#762 of 897 Re: Dark Nav Screen - 2005 RL [acuraphile]
Dec 12, 2006 (8:50 am)
Hey George, haven't seen you for a while - welcome back!!
#763 of 897 Re: 2005 RL Dead Battery (billlui) [billlui]
Dec 16, 2006 (3:21 pm)
The 2005s had a problem with this. there are some upgrades that the dealer can do (maybe they're done) that were supposed to solve this problem. More info about this can be found on acurazine.com