Last post on Feb 22, 2009 at 11:22 AM
You are in the Scion xA and xD
What is this discussion about?
Scion tC, Scion xB, Scion xA, Convertible, Hatchback
#98 of 317 TC Options - Please Bare With me
Jun 30, 2005 (3:11 am)
Hi everyone..I tend to buy "fully loaded" cars and research a lot before I buy. I bought the last BMW Z3 2001 around and got everything on it and a great deal back in 2001 - so GLAD because I do NOT like Z4. And my (love it!) 93 240SX (hard to part with) same thing. So now I'm trying to decide what I want on my TC which I plan to buy in a few months after I hear how 2006 models are for new owners. I would LOVE some help/guidance with your experience on a number of items I am considering getting on my TC. The official site is of little help really so I'll number them..feel free to share any experience/input on any you have OK? I would hope as more 2006's are bought folks will share their experiences on all of these items...to benefit us all.
1. Ground effects kit - can someone elaborate..is this more protective and/or cosmetic in nature?
2. Exhaust system - is this purely cosmetic or does it have an enhanced exhaust system and/or different noise to it?
3. I've heard the 18" wheels make for a much bumpier ride in the TC and handling not so good - true? Wheel locks? Cosmetic or good to get?
4. Leaning toward lip spoiler vs pedastal..my 240SX has the perfect one which is a bigger lip - wish TC had it. Any thoughts (not just for looks but for use to open/close hatch and wanting to make sure no vision problems as with so many others.
5. Rear Tail Lights by TYC...I admit I think I like the looks of them but would like to know thoughts from others...is it purely cosmetic?
6. Scion Security - this is something I am pretty sure I WILL get as long as it's not annoying - what exactly is included? Is it exterior alarm, etc.?
7. I probably won't get the extra airbags because as it is, airbags will probably kill be as I'm very short and sit right up against steering wheel...the front ones are standard right?
8. The auto dimming mirror...I'm not sure about this one. I have manual "adjust" RV mirrors where you can pull it down to dim and for some reason I find myself rarely using it unless I am getting BLINDED by someone...not sure I'd like it to decide for me, is that what it does?
9. I asked this before but no answer yet. It appears in pictures that 2005 the stereo lighted face was amber, for 2006 now it is blue? True? Yet the gauges are still all black/white/amber?
10. More on color - anyone get the LED enhancements? Your thoughts? Probably silly huh? I HAD considered amber if amber face of stereo but if that's blue, blue would have to be it. I love amber dash lighting in all my cars - alway have - speaking of which, what is the lighting color of the gauges at night?
11. Speaking of color - I was set to look at the 2005 blue color only to see it has now been replaced with Nautical Blue for 2006 which looks different. To be honest I don't like any of them via pics except the 2006 new silver but my BMW is that color. The Scion TC paint looks...different for some reason..not as "vibrant"/"strong' as other cars - any thoughts?
12. BIG QUESTION - Has anyone got their Bazooka subwoofer which looks like it is installed in the hatch on the side..which would seem it would not be a good location for sound in front? I am picky about sound systems yet bought a fully upgraded system in BMW, paid huge bucks and am really disappointed with it..my custom in my 240SX is ten times better. BMW has 10 speakers, subwoofer, EQ and that (STUPID) auto volume adjust for ambient noise - God I hate that thing. Anyway...wanted input in particular on the subwoofer as I dont' see anyone mention it here.
13. Speaking of stereo..so..the 2006 now comes standard with audio volume control on steering wheel..LOVE THAT. But no Cruise Control on the steering wheel - I'll live. Anyway...2006 also comes standard with a jack to plug in ANY portable music player (not talking about IPOD in the Pioneer unit itself just the jack) in the center which I assume then runs it through EQ (how IS the EQ with three settings anyway?). Since I don't have an iPOD, I think no need to get the iPOD system upgrade which offers full display of track/artist, etc...nice but not needed. Anyone who HAS gotten this please share experience though.
14. XM radio - anyone get it wired for that and subscribe to it? Probably not but worth asking. Also any trouble with the regular mast antenna for regular FM? THAT is one big problem in BMW..the mast antenna...hard to pick up stations clearly, interference, etc.
15. Is the 2006 stupid radio door GONE? Or still there?
16. I want to get carpet/mats but they look kinda cheap..are they? Are there better ones available? Is there a custom TC upgrade site to look at..saw a few Scion related ones mentioned..but not for TC.
17. Are the bugs previously noted for many TC's in 2005 fixed in the 2006. This is where experience from new buyers will come in handy. Problems with glass tops (rattling, breaking, etc). Hatch rattling noise. Gear problem - 3rd gear on manual. Anything else?
I know it's a ton of questions but it's been my experience that as a model comes out after the first year, when the 2nd year is just hitting the road, this is the best time to ask/compare and then I'll decide on exactly what I want and get it.
IS this the right place to post this? I posted a bit of it in one of the other general forums and had asked for a 2006 one but I guess there won't be a new one added so would LOVE to get input on the above from folks as they buy new 2006 TCs.
#99 of 317 Re: TC Options - Please Bare With me [aeroluvr]
Jun 30, 2005 (2:21 pm)
Picked up the '06 tC, color white, w/ zero options, last Sat. in Phoenix area from Avondale Scion. Which, by the way was a pleasant experience. One person handled the entire transaction and no BS. Anyway, yes the goofy radio door is still there to annoy you. I have begun to add "options". A Toyota dealer in Dallas has an excellent website; trdparts4u.com, with discounts over what you would pay at your dealer. Also carbytes.com does custom mats at less than Scion wants for the "rubbermaid" specials. I ordered black w/ red binding. Nice peeps at carbytes too. And yes 18's on the tC will turn it ride into a "tank". Not enough side wall flex...to bad as they do look good...but for me it was too great a degradation in the ride w/ only marginal handling improvement. Good luck on your purchase.
#100 of 317 Re: TC Options - Please Bare With me [juandehavasu]
Jul 01, 2005 (12:28 am)
Thanks for the input..and darn..confirming the radio door is still the same..I thought when they said redesigned the audio system head they might have figured out what to do with that too. I had wondered about the mats as they "sound" cheap - rubbermaid you called them..does that mean they are rubber not carpet? It was hard to tell by description. Guess I can't ask you about the rest though...you didn't get any. Hopefully we'll get some input on some of this..the ground effects...and the sub woofer...really would love to know more. Does the ground effects make the car lower to the ground (I have a steep driveway..my Z3 barely makes it, my 240SX does not make it most of the time - ouch). Thanks again.
#101 of 317 Re: TC Options - Please Bare With me [juandehavasu]
Jul 01, 2005 (12:45 am)
I checked out those sites..thanks and saw the mats on the Toyota one. I like the 2005 blue much better than the 2006 blue..figures...and I'm not usually a "blue car" person. I saw one on the road today and rolled down the window and asked the driver what year/color..it was the indigo ink pearl whatever it's called and a 2005.
#102 of 317 Re: TC Options - Please Bare With me [aeroluvr]
Jul 01, 2005 (3:10 pm)
#103 of 317 Door Speaker Upgrade
Jul 19, 2005 (6:36 am)
The Scion web site lists a door speaker upgrade with a 100 watt amp. It's separate from the one they offer with the Bazooka Base. Does anyone have any details on this option, or has anyone purchased it? Thanks.
Jul 19, 2005 (11:36 am)
is the leather high quality?
Jul 19, 2005 (4:01 pm)
You know on these 100 degree days, that AC feels good. I am glad Scion fixed the problem for 2005.
#106 of 317 Re: [automaniac95]
Jul 21, 2005 (4:08 pm)
I went with Katzkin leather and I love it. It is better than factory leathers on my other cars... www.katzkin.com
#107 of 317 Re: Scion Owners: Accessories & Modifications [KarenS]
Jul 26, 2005 (8:24 pm)
I got the fog lamps (vestigial, but other people can see me better and they look cool)
and I got the front bra. They sent me a $50 gift certificate and hey, it was $55
Looks nice and keeps the rocks off, though.
Other than that, I've thought about the cargo liner and the cold air intake, but they cost too much for my funding.
(as for personal enhancements I made, I have the cast of Homestarrunner across the dashboard, a Trogdor window cling, and an OOOGA horn )