Last post on Nov 05, 2013 at 4:36 AM
You are in the Hyundai Sonata
What is this discussion about?
Hyundai Sonata, Sedan
#6824 of 7872 Are the big 2007 Sonata problems fixed?
Jan 21, 2007 (6:17 am)
I've owned a 2001 Elantra Limited and a 2006 Elantra GLS and I'm ready to buy either a 2007 Sonata GLS or another 2007 Elantra GLS. Based on FitzMall prices the price differential is around $1,700. So I would get a lot more car if I go with the Sonata. However I'm concerned over some of the reported problems and wonder if they've been fixed. BTW I'm looking at the 4 cylinder automatic:
1. Based on comments form this board it appears that the rear "k-thunk" is either fixed on newer Elantras or can be fixed for free by the dealer. Correct?
2. Is there a front "thunking" noise that Hyundai hasn't fixed yet?
3. Has Hyundai fixed the "gas sloshing" noise? Do all Sonata's experience this?
4. Any other problems I should be aware of?
I don't mind spending the extra $$ for a better equipped and better riding car. However, I'd hate to spend the money and listen to a lot of sloshing and thunking.
BTW, the FitzMall price differential between the Elantra SE and the Sonata GLS with package 2 (power seats & audio controls on the steering wheel) is only $700.
#6825 of 7872 Re: Are the big 2007 Sonata problems fixed? [delaluz]
Jan 21, 2007 (10:29 am)
Did you mean a rear "k-thunk" on newer Sonatas? I haven't heard of any "k-thunk" issue on the 2007 Elantra.
FWIW, I've driven Sonata rentals (2007s) for many days and miles, and test-drove 2006s a few times, and have never noticed any gas sloshing noise. Nor "k-thunk" noise for that matter.
P.S. I didn't know there was an Elantra Limited for 2001. I thought there was only the GLS and GT (hatch), at least in the U.S.
#6826 of 7872 Re: Are the big 2007 Sonata problems fixed? [backy]
Jan 21, 2007 (11:51 am)
I had the hatchback with the leather seats. I just checked my paperwork and it was a 2002. Sorry
#6827 of 7872 Ay good sites with pictures of 2007 Sonata exterior colors
Jan 21, 2007 (2:52 pm)
Anyone know of a site that has good pictures of the 2007 exterior colors? I visited my local dealer today it was drizzling. Here's what I saw along with my ratings:
1. the bright silver with black leather OK+
2. bright silver gray interior OK
3. Aquamarine (looked kind of dull)OK- with beige; might look a lot better in bright sun and black interior. Unfortunately in Raleigh, NC the black interior would get mucho hot.
4. Natural khaki with beige OK++ looked very classy
5. Silver blue with gray leather OK++
6. Dark Cherry OK-. In the overcast lighting this looked maroon. It didn't look like anything at all in the brochure.
#6828 of 7872 Re: Ay good sites with pictures of 2007 Sonata exterior colors [delaluz]
Jan 22, 2007 (5:05 am)
There's a color chart in the pictures section here: 2007 Hyundai Sonata. But be aware that you can't really see the exact color on any website because there can be so many variables in your monitor and the website. The best thing to do is go back when it's sunny outside, but you probably know that!
#6829 of 7872 Re: Are the big 2007 Sonata problems fixed? [backy]
Jan 22, 2007 (12:20 pm)
The gas sloshing noise is noticed only when the gas tank is about 3/4 to full. And it's not a real issue, and not always noticeable. I can detect it sometimes when I stop the car. As much as I know it is still "available" on the '07. But certainly not a reason not to buy the Sonata!
#6830 of 7872 07 sonata vs 07 Accord
Jan 22, 2007 (1:25 pm)
I hope that Hyundai can finally figure out having GPS in their cars! I just got rid my 06 sonata V6, a lot of noise, unpredictable gas mileage, bad brake pedal feel and numb steering..now I'm driving my 07 Accord V6, much better feeling about driving to work every morning now:)
#6831 of 7872 Re: 07 sonata vs 07 Accord [lxs333]
Jan 22, 2007 (3:25 pm)
Weird, lxs333.... We own both the Sonata (4 cyl., though) and the same generation Accord V6 (a 2005 EX). Our Accord has MORE road noise than the Sonata, same braking quality (though the V6 Sonata has even larger, better brake discs), and too soft of a steering wheel which makes driving the Accord at high-speed feel like floating...
In general, even though comparing the 4cyl. Sonata to the V6 Accord --- I don't feel ANY inferiority driving the Sonata, except, of course, the difference in engine power.
#6832 of 7872 Re: 07 sonata vs 07 Accord [lxs333]
Jan 23, 2007 (9:47 am)
Unpredictable gas mileage? What's that mean? How many miles did you drive it on those tanks when you tried unsuccessfully to predict mileage?
#6833 of 7872 Re: Ay good sites with pictures of 2007 Sonata exterior colors [pat]
Jan 23, 2007 (9:57 am)
I just went back today at lunch (sunny day). Here's my updated rating:
1. Khaki with beige interior.OK+++ very classy looking. It looked gold today. Last Sunday when drizzling it looked more green (but still looked good).
2. Silver blue with beige. OK+++ very sharp looking. Much "brighter" than the regular silver model. Only reservation is that I'm a wolf pack fan and in certain light it looks like the Tarheel blue.
3. Red OK This car is really a maroon color in bright sun and in overcast light. It doesn't look anything like the car in the Sonata brochure (which looks very hot) IMHO.
4. Aquamarine with beige. OK. This looked a lot more aqua in the sun than when overcast. I think it would look better with a dark interior.
5. Silver with beige. OK It doesn't have the "pop" that the silver blue one does.
6. White with beige. OK
Anyway I think the Khaki with beige is my preference now. It looks very class, almost a Mercedes color. The Silver blue is very sharp looking exept for the Tarheel factor.