Last post on Oct 27, 2013 at 10:25 PM
You are in the Lincoln Navigator
What is this discussion about?
Lincoln Navigator, SUV
Go to NHTSA to file a safety complaint.
Or call Monday-Friday (8 am to 8 pm ET) (888) 327-4236 TTY: (800)424-9153
#603 of 829 Clicking noise from engine and clicking noise from suspension Navigator 03
Mar 24, 2008 (7:53 am)
hello, nice forum, i own a 2003 Lincoln Navigator 2wd (mexican) made in u.s.a. in 03/03, it was imported to mexico by the dealer, it have almost 50,000 miles and always serviced in the dealer, i drive it in dirt a lot and in across small rivers that dont need 4wd, i never have problems before but:
1. like a month ago i start hearing a clicking noise from the engine when i started cold (just when its cold) and not always
2. sometimes when i start it (obvious its in park to start it) it moves to the front a little bit)
3. always when you turn your steering with the car not moving you can hear a loud clicking noise coming from the front suspension and i take a look and everything looks good. i have 24" rims and it rides perfect but even with the stock rims do the same thing. so im sure its not the rims, the cliking noise start before i put the rims on it.
i hope someone can help me, i have some mechanic skills and the dealer here en mexico try to charge a LOT to fix something, thanks in advance.
#604 of 829 Sounds From 2003 Navigator
Mar 24, 2008 (10:04 am)
I recently purchased a 2003 Navigator w/ 52K mi. The car is great except it makes 2 noises and after reading some of the conflicting posts I'm not sure if it's normal or not. 1. When I start the car, the car "hums". It will go away, but usually comes back at some point while driving or idling. 2. There is a thumping noise in the rear right hand side of the car. The first time I heard it thump was when I turned on the rear heat, but now it thumps even if the heat is not on. I purchased an extended warranty, but I also have a 30 day NYS UCAP warranty with the dealership. Any thoughts?
#605 of 829 Re: Cylinder Head Issue 03 Gator [jlevin1]
Mar 29, 2008 (12:46 am)
I have the same problem with mine and I just don't know what to do. I was thinking of just taken the lost and trade it in for a GMC. But being that I still owe 16000 on it I may only get about 10000 in this condition, everything else is fine just the stupid engine... And for those who say it's not the companies fault because many others don't have the problem then shame on you... This is why we have problems today in every type of situation...because people don't stand behind the quality of their work or they're just not held to the standards that they may expect...But forgive me for crying about it....It's like this
#606 of 829 Power Liftgate and Rear AC Noise
Apr 01, 2008 (1:16 pm)
On my '05 Navigator Ultimate, the power liftgate motors are noisy in operation. When it closes/opens you hear whinning noises from the electric motors. Is this normal? Other cars such as the Armada are near silent in power liftgate operation.
Also, did anyone have a permanent fix for their rear AC Expansion valve clinking noise? The dealer just added more refrigerant per TSB but the problem came back.
Apr 01, 2008 (8:15 pm)
Few questions, bought an 03 navigator, white, 56k mileage in October, love the truck, the looks it gets and watching people (mostly women) that look around the interior and then say hey this is a nice car......what do you do?
but thank you in advance to anyone that can answer a few of my questions.
1. I took my truck to get it washed the other day and the idiot doing the prewash manually closed the driver side, side view mirror and now when i use the power switch to close them or open them the motor seems to be off a few inches on the gear as when it opens it over rotates and the mirror is open too much by about 45 degrees any help?
2. Door Ajar signal on dash indicator screen on Driver Side Front Door (happens randomly) even when it has been slammed shut?
3. What type of oil do you recommend for regular 3-5k mi maintenance
4. Power Liftgate sometimes doesn't close all the way and I get Liftgate Ajar message, have to get out and push on liftgate to engage last lock, sometimes will release and liftgate will open when i walk away even if nothing is obstructing it....
5. looking for replacement lug covers for 18" alloy wheels, mine are oxidized and the plastic is deteriorating, anyone know a good parts dealer?
6. Recommendations on an aftermarket navigation system that fits the white leather/silver interior setup?
#608 of 829 01 navigator
Apr 05, 2008 (7:37 am)
I've had my 01 navigator for 1 year 1/2 and it's been great, so far... I bought it with 116k miles on it, now it has 137k miles on it...know the ABS light is on(not all the time,just whenever that compressor does not turn on)The SERVICE ENGINE light comes out too!!i recently did a tune up on it. Since i bought it, ive changed the plugs only once( is that bad???Do you think i need new plugs again????all comments and suggestions are appreciated thanks,(glad too join edmunds!!
#609 of 829 Re: Cylinder Head Issue 03 Gator [jmcclary]
Apr 05, 2008 (8:16 am)
Make sure you go back to the dealer you purchased the car from and push back. We were very polite about our approach but simply insisted this was not our issue as is was caused by a faulty part. The 1st dealer we went to that we didn't purchase the car from wouldn't even give us a quote to buy it from us. You need to be persistant. The dealer needs to contact Ford and Ford should help pay. We got our expense down to $590, still too much but better than the $5800 originally quoted.
#610 of 829 Re: Power Liftgate and Rear AC Noise [lbinh]
Apr 10, 2008 (12:33 pm)
hey I have a 03 Ultimate Gator and all the ligft gates that i have see make the same noise even mine. The problem is not your Expansion valve, you will only have a problem with that if its not blowing cold. you have a motor in the back that controls the hot and cold air. as it opens and closes when you use the rear controls the way FORD design it sucks because the motor inside keeps pressure on the gears no matter if its on hot or cold so after while that little motor inside will break the gears inside and that is whats making that clicking noise. the motor keep turning inside because it has nothing to catch on. Im fixing the problem on my gator like at this very moment. i live in texas and that is a dealer part only and it came out to be 81.19 for that piece of plastic. if you do decide to change the motor assembly keep it for the old motor just in case the new motor go out.
#611 of 829 Re: Location of the Computer Module [vast8fm]
Apr 10, 2008 (12:45 pm)
take you gator to the dealer and have them pull the unlock code for you.... i did mine and it was like 15 bucks.... the person before you may have change the module in your truck and didnt get the new card with the code on it
#612 of 829 Re: brake vibration [shd]
Apr 10, 2008 (12:52 pm)
when you get brake vibe you need to get you rotors resurfaced because they are warp meaning the flat braking surface is uneven... and before you put the brake pads back on you need to even them out, using sand paper or rubbin it back and forward "concrete"