Last post on Sep 18, 2013 at 1:08 PM
You are in the Maintenance & Repair
What is this discussion about?
Lights, Electrical, Interior, Car Warranties, Coupe, Convertible, Hatchback, Truck, Sedan, Wagon, SUV, Van
#85 of 95 Re: '89 volvo speedometer and odometer [yeti_herd]
by MrShift@Edmunds HOST
Jun 21, 2008 (8:59 am)
The speedo sensor is on the back axle. Since you didn't post a model, I'll give you the various possibilities:
Speedometer sensor, replacement
Rigid back axle.
* Cut and remove seal of lead.
* Unplug connector.
* Unscrew sensor.
* Remove casing over fuel filler pipe on 4-door models, or the cover on the left hand side behind the wheel arch on 5-door models.
* Break open the leaded box and unplug connector.
* Remove the sensor lead, rubber sleeve, and clamps.
* Clean the area around the sensor and unscrew it.
* Replace sensor.
* Fit new sensor.
* Thread leaded wire through connector lid
* Fit connector to sensor.
* Pass the leaded wire through the lock on the connector and catch on the sensor.
* Thread on a new lead weight and press together with pliers.
* Fit the new leaded box and attach lid firmly.
Speedometer sensor, replacement T2
760/780 1988-, Multi-link back axle
The sensors are placed differently for varying versions of differential.
* Remove casing over fuel filler pipe or the cover on the left hand side behind the wheel arch.
* Break open the leaded box and unplug connector. Remove lead to sensor, rubber sleeve, and clamps.
* Clean the area around sensor and unscrew it.
* Reassemble in reverse order. Oil new 0-ring before fitting.
When fitting sensor, tighten to torque: 8 - 12 Nm (5.9 - 8.9 ft lb) .
* Fit new leaded box and put on lid firmly
#86 of 95 2003 taurus-intermittent dash lights.
Sep 11, 2008 (6:22 pm)
Dash lights go out, perhaps drive on rough road and come on again (about 4 times), dashboard lights work for few weeks and go out again. This time dash lights after about a week will not turn on. It's only the instrument cluster lights, radio and idiot lights work. On the Taurus/Sable thread read about 6 members that have the same exact problem. I would think there would a Technical Bulletin or recall on this for a 4-5 year old car. If this is one of those $5 part and $1,000 fix it issue, I'm dumping ford for ever. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
#88 of 95 Re: 2003 taurus-intermittent dash lights
Sep 16, 2008 (11:14 pm)
Maybe it's the fuse that causes the problem or the electrical wiring. I think it would help if you can see the diagram of the electrical wiring in your car
Oct 20, 2008 (9:36 pm)
I just bought a saturn vue 2004, the background of the dasboard is lit but not the indicators needle what the he... could that be ???
#90 of 95 Gear Light Indicator
Feb 14, 2011 (9:09 pm)
Just bought a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and my gear indicator light doesn't work. Is there anything that could fix this other than an new instrument cluster? Thanks for the help guys.
#91 of 95 91 Buick Riviera Instrument Cluster
Dec 18, 2011 (5:20 pm)
Hi,i have an electrical problem with the dash on my 91 Riviera.When it,s first started after sitting,the cluster does not light up except for the speedo reading 00 and odometer reading ERROR and the electrical problem light on,after running for a half hour,the dash comes on and the warning light goes out,everything on dash reads fine,gages accurate,also i noticed the miles on trip and regular odometer counts up when dash is out,so it seams like everything works except it doesn,t light up at times,any ideas ?
#92 of 95 Re: 91 Buick Riviera Instrument Cluster [vicgoo]
Dec 22, 2011 (11:23 am)
Bad ground connection?
#93 of 95 Re: 91 Buick Riviera Instrument Cluster [vicgoo]
Jan 06, 2012 (12:26 pm)
Hi, I have a 92 riviera with the same instrument panel issue. 00 for speedometer and error for odometer. mine also comes on and off randomly. have you found our a solution for this issue?
#94 of 95 Re: mritze [02tahoe2]
Apr 11, 2012 (8:56 pm)
I just seen your post about you 02 Tahoe dash lights. Mine does the same thing do you ever find out what was wrong with it? Any help would be appreciated,