Last post on Jan 22, 2013 at 9:12 PM
You are in the Smart Shopper
What is this discussion about?
#5279 of 5288 Demo Car Question
Oct 08, 2012 (8:58 am)
Wanted to get thoughts on how dealers price their demo units. Working with BMW on a 2012 X5 at the moment and it turns out the owner of the dealership has put almost 8k miles on it. They want to sell it around 2012 invoice cost, but I feel like this should be a used car negotiation or we should at least be discussing a discount from invoice per mile.
Anyone have luck in getting a dealer to come off the ridiculous new car cost when the car has obviously been driven this much?
Thanks in advance!
#5280 of 5288 Re: Demo Car Question [vgx]
Oct 08, 2012 (9:59 am)
I would first confirm that it was never titled, and therefore the warranty would last for 4/48k from date/miles of purchase.
And if this is the case, it isn't technically a used car. Although I agree with you from a negotiation standpoint that it should be treated as one (although I probably wouldn't use the term "used car" when negotiating).
Right now, as a trade-in, it would be worth something like $4k-$5k under invoice (assuming an X5 35i premium, for example).
#5281 of 5288 Re: Demo Car Question [qbrozen]
Oct 09, 2012 (4:46 am)
You can always use the lease mileage charge. Probably .20-25 cents/mile? so figure 2K back off of what a leftover 2012 would go for with no miles.
For me, I would negotiate hard on a 2013, to get a real bottom line, then figure at least 5K off of that price to take a last years model with that many miles (besides, it is "used", and if I am dropping 50 large or so, I want it untouched!)
#5282 of 5288 Re: Demo Car Question [stickguy]
Oct 16, 2012 (12:26 pm)
Wanted to follow up on this. We backed off of the 12 because it just didn't jive for us paying even slightly under invoice for such a used vehicle. Too much can happen in 8,000 miles for me to feel ok dropping that much $.
Definitely appreciate the insight though. We'll look around at 2013s and bide our time until the deal is right.
#5283 of 5288 Re: Demo Car Question [vgx]
Oct 16, 2012 (1:03 pm)
We are looking at a 2012 528i 4 cyl tturbo RWD. 3800 miles. Window sticker is $54,2xx and the asking price is $42,900. This is from the dealer loaner fleet, titled in May? Whatcha think? Excellent discount, but I also saw a 2011 6 cyl with 28k? with an asking price of $36,900. I assume one could buy it for less, figuring sales tax etc, I could possibly take another $10k hit on the discounted 2012 in a year. Good grief, what would it be if one buys new?
#5286 of 5288 Paying Cash, Unsure about trade-in, how to get best deal?
Nov 10, 2012 (11:34 pm)
I have finally talked my Mom into getting a new vehicle to replaced her high-mileage (135k) 2007 Ford Explorer. I'm pretty sure that she has decided on a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. I think it's a great fit for her needs and the long warranty coverage is reassuring.
Carmax and local dealership that buys used cars have both made offers that are far below what the pricing guides show for trade-in value. After adjusting for the high mileage, all of the pricing guides (KBB, Edmunds, NADA) show the Trade-In Value as $8200-$9,900 in Good to Very Good Condition. It is in Excellent condition, but Carmax only offered $6,100 and the other dealer offered $6,500). If we can't get at least $7,500, I plan to sell it privately.
She will be paying CASH for the new car, which I plan to keep quiet until after we've negotiated the vehicle price (and trade-in, if applicable). I had to explain to her why paying cash does NOT improve her negotiating power because dealers make a profit from financing.
Any advice on how to deal with these two situations? My plan has been to tell the dealer that we aren't sure whether we'll be trading-in the Explorer, but we'll let them appraise it and see what they have to offer. As for how we'll be paying, I really hate to lie, but I think we say should say that we haven't decided. I'll tell them that we have been pre-approved by her credit union (she has a credit score of 720+) and we'll see what they have to offer. Then if we pay using Cash, they won't know the source of those funds.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
#5287 of 5288 Re: Paying Cash, Unsure about trade-in, how to get best deal? [igozoomzoom]
Nov 11, 2012 (10:20 am)
I agree about the trade in. That is what I did. Negotiate on the new car, and when done, see what they offer on the trade. I just tell them that I am willing to go either way, but that I am negotiating the price first on the new car, so you will get a true wholesale/buy figure, not a shell game!
for the money, I think you are worrying way too much about it. They don't really care that much on the floor. So if they ask, just tell them you have not decided, and that once you are set with the deal you will see what they have to offer. All that question really does IMO is let them know if you are a payment buyer. Once they know you aren't, the price should be the price.
#5288 of 5288 lease expiring?
by steve_ HOST
Jan 22, 2013 (9:12 pm)
A reporter would like to speak to someone who is going to be in the market for a new car in the next few months because their lease is expiring. If you fit this description, please email your daytime contact info to predmunds.com by Friday, January 25, 2013 at noon PT/3 p.m. ET.