Last post on Jun 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM
You are in the Prices Paid - Buying & Leasing Experiences
What is this discussion about?
Subaru Outback, Wagon, SUV
Oct 20, 2009 (2:29 pm)
I am in the midst of dealing for a 2009 2.5 i with Nav. Outback with 11,500 miles-dealer internet price is just under $20,000-I want to negotiate for a lower price-I would be happy with OTD for 20,000. I like the car and like the color-but can wait...seems that the inventory in my area for NEW 2009 Outbacks is scarce-NE PA. I have to drive 2 hours for this car with my wife and daughter in the car-already gave $500 to hold the car til I come this weekend. Called my local Subaru dealer and will talk with them tomorrow about if they can deal, but they have no 2009 in inventory. Will I be better off waiting until December-January? Any advice out there?
#2029 of 3414 Re: Outback Advice-2009-Used [schoolhouseink]
Oct 20, 2009 (8:41 pm)
I don't think you'll be any better off waiting until December-Jan. Fall-winter is when demand for AWD peaks. That would be an excellent time to buy a Miata, however.
The time to pick from a large selection of new 09's was this spring before the clunkers bill. Hindsight is 20/20 & you can't change that.
Is this a CPO car? If you like it, make your best deal. It doesn't help you being so far from the dealer because he will know that its more difficult for you to walk away - the very best negotiating strategy. Find out why its for sale after only 11K miles (I have 14K on mine bought new in March) and walk if its been in a wreck.
#2030 of 3414 Re: offer from dealer on 2010 2.5i base model [jpievans]
Oct 21, 2009 (5:30 pm)
jpievans can you please provide dealer's name. The price sounds reasonable so just wanted to see what there is anything for me.
#2031 of 3414 Re: Outback Advice-2009-Used [schoolhouseink]
Oct 22, 2009 (12:27 pm)
I doubt they'll budget much off the internet price.
#2032 of 3414 You Opinion Please
Oct 24, 2009 (6:00 am)
Greetings from Pittsburgh, home of the Super Bowl & Stanley Cup champs & the Pitiful Pirates. 3 days ago I pulled the trigger on a 4 cyl. 2010 OB Limited, Sky Blue, loaded (NAV, backup cam). I traded an 04 Forester, 76,000 miles, good condition. My OTD price is $24,500, $30,260 for the OB, $7,500 on the trade, the remainder taxes & fees of $145. I take delivery on 10/27. What do you think? If I got hosed, let me know, won't be the first time & won't hurt my feelings. A comparably equipped 4 cyl. Venza was $2,300 more. BTW, I'll be posting my initial impressions of the car in a couple weeks.
#2033 of 3414 Re: You Opinion Please [jeffm5]
Oct 24, 2009 (12:24 pm)
Good luck. Did you order or buy off inventory? What was the bottom line MSRP on the car incl delivery? The 30,200 should be close to invoice. I'm looking at something like that myself fully loaded w nav and would be interested in your perceptions.
Also considered the Venza. I Iike the Subaru better.
I've usually sold my cars outright and do pretty well instead of trading. This time I will probably go the trade route and save the tax differential, the headache of selling and hassle of courtesy trade. I would think 2004 Forester should go for 8-9K private sale pretty quickly. Check Edmunds and KBB if you haven't.
#2034 of 3414 Starting offer for 2010 2.5i Outback Ltd?
Oct 24, 2009 (12:42 pm)
Any thoughts on a good starting offer for a 2010 2.5i Outback Ltd. in the southeast PA area? From what I've read here it's not unreasonable to get the car for close to invoice.
#2035 of 3414 Re: You Opinion Please [jeffm5]
Oct 24, 2009 (3:46 pm)
My opinion - the Pirates are no more pitiful than our local teams - the Nationals and Orioles - yikes.
Oh, opinions on the car deal? Sounds like you did fine. Edmunds trade-in value for the Forester was 7770 if in "clean" condition (second highest condition), less in "average" condition, and the base "X" model. Trading in saved you sales tax on the 7500, so you would have had to sell privately for 7500 + the sales tax just to be the same as this deal. And good luck finding anyone who can actually pay for something today. I used to sell privately, but lately, have been trading in as well.
Do post your reviews. Good luck!
#2036 of 3414 Re: Starting offer for 2010 2.5i Outback Ltd? [franklyjeff]
Oct 24, 2009 (5:37 pm)
I was looking at the same car.
This was the offer I got
MSRP: $24,690. Offered at $22,890 (destination included)
So not sure it this helps but this should be the maximum you should pay for Outback 2.5i plus Title tax and other documentation feed.
#2037 of 3414 Re: Starting offer for 2010 2.5i Outback Ltd? [bob_b1]
Oct 25, 2009 (4:04 pm)
I think you'll find this is for the base model stripper w/nothing but the CVT.