Last post on Dec 05, 2013 at 1:21 PM
You are in the Prices Paid - Buying & Leasing Experiences
What is this discussion about?
Subaru Outback, Wagon, SUV
#1865 of 3458 Re: New 2.5i Limited [abt1]
Jul 06, 2009 (1:33 pm)
Al, I'm not a great haggler, but I am a decent researcher, and my research shows you are set to buy at a fabulous time. It is definitely a buyer's market, so be confident that you can get a good deal ... because you definitely can!
Subaru just sweetened their incentives a bit for the 2009s. If you are looking at the Outback 2.5i Limited WITH Nav, the 2.5XT or the 3.0R, those are now all available until Aug 3 with a $3K rebate and the low financing from before. The other 2.5i models have the $2K rebate, which is what I got the end of June.
To answer your questions, I did not start negotiating at invoice. I asked various local dealers to beat a price that was well under invoice which I found at an out-of-state dealer. As for the rebate, that money did not go directly to me; it was applied by the dealer to my sales price, thus lowering what I paid them. All of the dealers I found were providing quotes that already included that rebate, so you should ask the dealer directly about this if you're unclear about it when you are given a price.
I don't know if every single Subaru dealer has to offer the latest incentives by the manufacturer, but I would assume they would, since this is money provided by Subaru. So ask up front about the rebates. The current rebates do not end until Aug 3.
If you wait to buy toward the end of July, I'm sure the salesmen will be even more motivated to lower the price in order to move the 2009s and make their sales quotas for the month. But by waiting you do risk having less of a selection from which to choose if your heart is set on a certain color or particular options/accessories. If you're more flexible, I would wait to get the best deal.
Lastly, remember that you control this process. If you don't like something, just end the discussion by politely but firmly saying you'll think about it. It won't take long for them to chase after you with a better offer. So good luck and negotiate with confidence because this market has put buyers in the driver's seat.
#1866 of 3458 Outback SE models still available at $20K or less?
Jul 06, 2009 (2:01 pm)
I'm having trouble getting near this price in the Boston area (after $2K rebate), and wonder if the Cash for Clunkers program is bumping up market price a bit. Anybody notice this?
It would appear that Dealer price is Invoice minus $1000 hold back, not including rebates. True?
I see Heuberger Motors in Colorado Springs still shows a special price of an SE for under $20K, but the list price on their specials page ($26,310) does not match the MSRP on the inventory price for the listed car (#29902, $24,590) shown here. What's up with that?
Out and Back
#1867 of 3458 I may be getting close, too...
Jul 06, 2009 (3:06 pm)
My '01 Audi A6 continues to vex us w/ CELs ... after a new coolant temp sensor, new cat, and new O2 sensors since last Sept., still intermittent codes that relate to a known issue w/ the ECU throwing false codes. I'm willing to pay the dealer to "reflash" the ECU with updated programming that was the subj. of a TSB, but doubt I'm willing to spring for a new ECU or even rebuilt if this doesn't work.
But of course in the meantime the supply of '09 OBs dwindles and I'm not very interested in a '10. Definitely want the SE for the features, don't really want the Ltd. primarily b/c of the poor A/C I hear about but I do like the leather & sunroof ... definitely do not want the built-in NAV.
I may be picking from among the slim pickins' later this month, we'll see.
BTW I confirmed w/ my longtime trusted indep. shop that the Audi CVT, to which I am told the new Subie CVT is related (same belts? I'd love to know if it's the same TCU or other parts too) was not a reliable unit and there were some very expensive TCU failures ($2-4k repair costs). So I'm wary of the new CVT, as I am of any new technology til I see it's track record for reliability.
#1868 of 3458 Re: New 2.5i Limited [1stin10]
Jul 06, 2009 (7:27 pm)
Hi, 1stin10, thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am in the process of buying a Limited as well. Contacted local dealers through email, all except one just asked me to call them. The one price is about $4000 off the MSRP.
I have a quick newbie question. How did you get your initial price from the MD dealer from Cars.com? Did you contact them by email? All prices I saw at Cars.com are MSRP, right?
#1869 of 3458 Outback SE Pricing in Seattle
Jul 07, 2009 (6:47 am)
Going to be buying an Outback SE in Seattle (and) north area in the next 30 days. What OTD can I expect? Any Subaru dealers I should avoid?
#1870 of 3458 Re: New 2.5i Limited [1stin10]
Jul 07, 2009 (10:19 am)
That is some great advice. I am trying to do research on how to get the best deal and I find alot of conflicting info. It gets confusing! I will keep this thread updated, to get more advice and to also help out others with my eperience.
#1871 of 3458 Re: New 2.5i Limited [snowinwind]
Jul 07, 2009 (10:15 pm)
If I were you, I would not call any of the dealers who did not offer a price. Just wait a bit, and they will likely come back to you fairly soon, though I have to say that the end of month pressure to meet their sales quota undoubtedly encouraged the dealers with whom I interacted.
I would begin to negotiate with the one dealer who did provide a price. $4K off MSRP is pretty good, so to me it shows he's serious about bargaining, but there's still a lot of room to come down.
I just did a search for 09 Limiteds on cars.com, and prices are dropping. Selection is too, but bargains are out there if you're willing to be flexible. I don't know where you're located, but I found prices at Heuberger in Colorado Springs, CO for just above $24K - so similar to the price you were quoted locally - and I found a couple at DullesMotors in Leesburg, VA for even less ... one was about $23,600. There were also competitive prices at a couple of MD dealers and one in NH. So as you can see, these prices are certainly not MSRP. MSRP for a Limited is $28,295. These prices undoubtedly all include the $2K cash rebate, but even still, they are good prices. And it's from there that you want to begin your negotiations, not from MSRP or even dealer invoice.
I would go back to the dealer who gave you the quote by emailing him a link to one of these dealers with an even lower price. Ask him to beat it. When he does, tell him this is a pretty good price, and you'll be very tempted to buy IF he includes .... the destination fee (a $695 value) and cargo nets or something else you really want. If he agrees, I'd accept the deal and take a copy of the email down to the dealership with you so you have the offer and the corresponding VIN# in writing. If he doesn't, I would consider shopping the quote he did give you to the other local dealers who told you to call them. Instead of callling, email his quote and ask them to beat the price and add in a goodie or two. Also, it's important to give all of these guys a timeframe. Tell them clearly you will be buying a car by close of business Saturday, July 11 or whatever date in the very near future so that you create an enhanced sense of urgency on their part.
Hope this helped. Good luck!
#1872 of 3458 Re: New 2.5i Limited [1stin10]
Jul 08, 2009 (7:55 am)
1stin10, thank you so much for the help. I will give it a try and update the result here.
#1873 of 3458 Re: Outback SE models still available at $20K or less? [outandback]
Jul 08, 2009 (2:20 pm)
Just wanted to let folks know that Heuberger Motors updated their prices after my July 6 post so there is no longer a discrepancy for Outback Internet special. I also see that they change their prices often, so although they are higher as I write this, yesterday I saw they advertised 2009 Outbacks for $20,070 for a manual transmission SE and $20,952 (& up) for an SE auto.
Good benchmarks for comparison shopping.
#1874 of 3458 Thoughts on this deal?
Jul 09, 2009 (8:52 am)
We have decided to get a new 09 Outback within the next 6 weeks (Toyota lease to expire in Aug). Started to contact Subaru dealers to see where we would be.
Looking for a Model 9DD with no options in the New England area. MSRP - $25,790. (with PZEV - most inventory in NE has this).
So far, best offer is at $21,000. plus a $225 dealer doc fee. Others (so far) are in the $22K+ range. This represents $4.79K under MSRP, . . . and about $524. under invoice + holdback.
Good offer? Can I get more?
Is it likely rebate will increase in Aug? - If so, care to guess how much?
Fitzmall lists Outback SEs (9DD) with a slightly higher MSRP for a slightly lower internet price - how is this?
How is this dealer making money with price below what we all think he/she really paid for the car?
Any other thoughts would be appreciated.