Last post on Dec 18, 2011 at 3:35 AM
You are in the Kia Sportage
What is this discussion about?
Kia Sportage, SUV
#1 of 704 2004 Kia Sportage
Apr 03, 2003 (1:51 pm)
Anybody know anything about the next Kia Sportage? Features? Vehicle platform?
#2 of 704 jchan2-see the Edmunds thread titled '05 Kia Sportage
Apr 05, 2003 (10:13 am)
for more information on the next-generation Kia Sportage that is being designed and tested now by Kia Motors in Korea. You will get a good idea there what's going on with it. It is based on the Elantra platform and will be front-wheel drive or even all-wheel drive. It's under development still so the driveline issues could still be tweaked as design continues. It will not be available in 4-wheel drive and it may or may not be available with manual transmission.
carspy01 "'05 Kia Sportage" Mar 13, 2003 3:44pm
#3 of 704 Disappointed
Apr 05, 2003 (7:59 pm)
I was hoping for a REAL truck...
Maybe this isn't the Sportage...
Brenda Priddy hasn't always been correct with her spy photos and stories... also, does anyone really CARE?
#4 of 704 Sportage
Apr 07, 2003 (8:29 am)
Are you sure that the next Sportage will not have 4WD? I can understand the switch to a car based platform, but no 4WD! Without 4WD, you will have lost the single reason people buy SUVs over minivans and wagons. Also, the automatic should be tiptronic, like the Hyundai Santa Fe.
#5 of 704 OK, here we go....
Apr 07, 2003 (12:46 pm)
Thanks, iluv, for sending me the private e-mail to get back on board! I'm just too busy right now to follow everything here, but let me review what I said last year:
1) Hyundai was/is working on the next-gen Elantra-platform, which will be laid out as front wheel 2WD and the permanent AWD-version.
2) This next-gen Elantra will underpin the next-gen Kia Spectra, as well.
3) The "revolution" inside Kia took place by switching the frame-based "old" Sportage to this new platform, i.e. the next Sportage will be car-based as the Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4.
4) There are two rumors out there for Hyundai:
a) a Hyundai version of the vehicle as sub-Santa Fe as the Santa Fe will increase in size for the next generation
b) a Hyundai tall wagon-type vehicle will 2WD and AWD. I did not see anything of either yet.
5) Brenda Priddy's shot of the Sportage is REAL.
6) The Sorento "Sport" (2 door) and pick-up version are still in the planning.
Keep on rocking!!!
#6 of 704 Sportage
Jun 10, 2003 (6:31 am)
I like the Sorento Sport idea. Then we could tell the Explorer Sport to get better or to get lost!
Jul 01, 2003 (4:13 pm)
I like the Explorer Sport
#9 of 704 Sportage
Jul 10, 2003 (9:42 am)
A Sorento Sport would at least provide some competition for the Explorer Sport. At least improve and upgrade to the 2002 Explorer platform.