Last post on Sep 29, 2013 at 5:14 AM
You are in the Mazda6
What is this discussion about?
Mazda MAZDA6, Hatchback, Sedan, Wagon
Go to NHTSA to file a safety complaint.
Or call Monday-Friday (8 am to 8 pm ET) (888) 327-4236 TTY: (800)424-9153
Dec 16, 2004 (2:09 am)
I have a few questions for you:
1. I am thinking about installing an aftermarket remote starter on my car (2003 Mazda6 2.3 automatic). Any good, cheap, reliable brand that you recommmend? Currently, I already have a good aftermarket alarm installed in my car, and I have no wish to get rid of it. Is it possible to add another moodule on top of an existing alarm system? I don't mind having to have two remotes with me.
2. I am also thinking about trying to change the mazda6 oil myself. I was told by the service manager at Don Miller Mazda (in Madison, WI) that the process is a lot more complicated than any other Japanese car (e.g. Toyota Camry). Is it ture?
3. How many quarts of oil do you put in?
4. What is the grade of oil do you use? I am planning on either using a Mobil One Synthetic oil 0W20 or a Valvoline Durablend 5W30.
5.What is your interval between oil changes? Does using a synthetic or semi-synthetic oil warrant you not to change your oil as often as conventional oil? I have seen BMW and Benz being required to change their synthetic oil every 12,000 miles.
6. Does anyone know the extra advantage on buying a K&N air filter? I am unable to decide whether to buy a $60 dollars K&N air filter or a $15 Fram Air Filter.
7. Last of all, What is exactly a brake moan? My car's brakes are always making noises whenever I try to make an ordinary complete stop.
8. Does anyone ever install a Pioneer GPS AVEC-N1 or similar kind of built in motorized navigation system with touch screen? A local shop is asking for $2200 to custom installed a Pioneer AVEC-N1 on my car. Basically, they are going to take out the curent face plate on my mazda6 and get rid of the existing radio system. Then, they will cover all the holes from the radio/CD button and repaint the whole face plate, while making sure that the opening on the center console is just big enough for the pioneer system. Does anybody else have a better suggestion/recommendation?
Please number your responses according to the questions. I would like to thank you guys in advance and wish everyone a merry christmas and a happy new year! Cheers!!!
#2804 of 2861 Re: K & N Filter
Dec 16, 2004 (7:21 am)
Regarding K & N filters, I have one on my Expedition but not on my Mazda 6S (too new)- I increased mileage by about 1.5 mpg on the Exped and got noticably better performance, esp when towing. I would be careful about putting one on your 6 if it's still under warranty- increased airflow of the K & N has a tradeoff of less filtration. There's an interesting test of K & N
vs. paper filters on this website: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
I will probably stay with the paper element for my M6 and just change it more frequently.
Feb 18, 2005 (5:50 pm)
Does anyone know the correct tightening torque for the oil pan nut on the 3.0 V6 engine?
Mar 02, 2005 (6:10 pm)
Whats your guys impression of Kendall synthetic oil? A garage here is offering 5 quarts of Kendall 5W30 synthetic oil and a tire rotation for 13.95. My guess is that this is too good to be true. If you have used or know about it, could you please let me know what you think?
#2809 of 2861 Re: ha! [stretchsje]
Apr 18, 2005 (3:17 pm)
Rain-X is a big must, I agree! In ligher rain you don't even need to use the wipers.
#2810 of 2861 good deal on oil changes
May 16, 2005 (4:30 pm)
Picked up an new manual trans 3 liter 2004 wagon for $200 under invoice and $5000 in rebates yesterday! : )
Registered on the mazda owner website (mazdausa.com, follow the links) and ran across this, which I thought I would share:
Unbelievably Affordable Oil & Filter Changes With Coupon $6.79
You can pre-purchase oil & filter
changes for as low as $6.79 per oil
change. That's a savings of $444.60 over
a 7 year period that no one can touch!
Please call for details.
Plus applicable taxes. Valid only at SKYLAND MAZDA. Cannot be used with any other applicable offer. Mazda vehicles only. Some vehicles may be slightly higher. Hazardous waste fee is applicable. Expires: 07/13/2005.
Who knows whether there may be a catch, but it seems worth investigating!
#2811 of 2861 Antifreeze question
Jul 04, 2005 (7:22 am)
I have just purchased a 6i mtx, and was reading the owner's manual.
In the spec's section, the spec'd antifreeze is given only with a specification number.
What is the correct antifreeze in plain English?
#2812 of 2861 Scotchgaurding the Interior/Exterior?
May 05, 2006 (9:40 am)
I'm not sure I fully understood what the dealer offered me when I purchased my new Mazda 6i last week. When I mentioned my concern about staining the light-tan interior, I was told the dealer would Scotchguard the interior (the name brand wasn't used, but it's the same concept) AND the exterior, for something like $600. Sounded outrageous, but I wonder about the benefits. Is this something I can do on my own, at little expense? If so, is there a recommended product? I'm not familiar with applying these products to the interior, much less the exterior, of my car.