Last post on Dec 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM
You are in the Mazda6
What is this discussion about?
Mazda MAZDA6, Hatchback, Sedan, Wagon
Go to NHTSA to file a safety complaint.
Or call Monday-Friday (8 am to 8 pm ET) (888) 327-4236 TTY: (800)424-9153
#1418 of 2862 Re: 2003 Mazda 6 [karyakarta]
Dec 17, 2004 (7:53 am)
1. Don't have much to say about remote starters, I'm not really interested in them.
2. I wouldn't say changing the oil is a lot more complicated, just different. The Mazda6 engines have a cartridge type oil filter, instead of a self contained spin-on type filter. Apparently Mazda has a special tool for removing the filter housing, but I see mention on other Mazda6 forums of using socket or strap filter wrenches successfully. It looks like there is also a cover on the underside of the engine compartment which needs to be removed to gain access to the filter and drain plug. No big deal, just an extra step. Some other makes have this as well.
3. You can find this in the back of your owner's manual, you need 4.5Q when you replace the oil and filter in a 2.3L engine.
4. Haven't changed my oil yet, but I'll probably stick with the Motorcraft 5W20 for now, and perhaps go to the Mobil1 synthetic in the future if I feel like spending the extra $$$. The Motorcraft (apparently what Mazda uses) seems to be highly regarded by users on other Mazda6 forums, and of course there are always a lot of Mobil1 fans about.
5. Both my cars get their oil changed at about 6K miles, which works out to twice a year, spring and fall. Depending on the conditions you operate your vehicle in, Mazda specifies either a 5K or 7.5K oil change interval. Personally, I'm not comfortable straying outside of that range no matter what type of oil I use, but others may feel differently.
6. Many who use K&N filters swear by them, but I have never invested in one. I'm not convinced the horsepower and acceleration they supposedly add would be all that noticeable, but they do have the advantage of being reusable for something like 10 years.
7. I haven't experienced brake moan on my car, but others seem to be having problems with it. I don't recall if anyone has posted the diagnosis or cure for their brake moan problem here.
#1419 of 2862 Re: brake squeal [rattler]
Dec 20, 2004 (1:46 pm)
Rattler, I am having the same exact problems on my 03 6i, 16K miles. I'm bringing it in to the dealer on Dec 28 for service, leaving it overnight so they can road test in morning when it's the worst. I think there is a TSB for the moan you get when turning into a parking spot. Will let you know what happens.
#1422 of 2862 Check Engine Light
Dec 22, 2004 (7:36 am)
I have 1200 miles on my 2005 M6 Hatchback. About a week ago, the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer who said I most likely had a loose gascap. However, I did inquire about possible fuel tank leak issues since I was confident that the cap was on properly. 2 days after leaving the dealership, the light came on again, so I took it to a different dealer. The new dealership diagnosed the problem as the charcoal canister leak, and they ordered a new part. I love the way the car drives, but this issue is getting a little annoying. I hope that the problem will be fixed once the new part arrives.
#1423 of 2862 Unhurt from Bad Accident, Time to Buy Another 6
Dec 22, 2004 (8:31 am)
My Mazda 6 was just totalled in a high speed rear collision by a hit and run SUV. I walked away with a couple scratches. The crash also pushed me into two cars in front of me. The passenger compartment was completely intact.
The next day, I called up my dealer and said "I want another one just like it." This time, I'm getting the side air bags too.
#1424 of 2862 Re: Unhurt from Bad Accident, Time to Buy Another 6 [jpzenger]
Dec 22, 2004 (8:43 am)
Wow! I hope everyone was okay. I hope they find the (bleep) in the SUV that bolted. Did you get his license plate?
I was glad that they made the side airbags standard for '05. My dealer took an extra week to find my 6S, specifically because I wanted the side airbags. With all the idiots on the road these days, any extra protection is worth it!
#1425 of 2862 Scratch on steering wheel leather
Dec 22, 2004 (9:32 am)
A week after buying my new wagon I noticed a scratch on leather surface on the top of the steering wheel. The scratch is less than an inch long with a small thread out and it is perpendicular to the driver.
I did not take any sharp objects inside the car and certainly not my nails. I think the scratch was there when I bought the car (can't prove it!).
If it was my nail, then I suppose the leather will be all shreds in a year.
When I first spoke to the salesperson she said its under warranty we will fix it, but when I took it for service, the service manager said there was no defect in the vehicle, well, that is the claim they are going to make. He said, he can have an expert look at it and will be at my expense.
Is there anything that I can do in this regard or should I just let it go.
Winter time it gets dark too early and so did not notice it when I took the delivery. Also when you buy a new car I think its difficult to examine every inch of the vehicle. It is just a surface scratch with a thread out and its not deep, but just did not want to see it on a week old car.
#1426 of 2862 Brake pedal noise, rough shifts
Dec 22, 2004 (7:03 pm)
I have had my 04' mazda6s for about 5 months now and am relatively happy with it. Theres always the occasional quirk, but nothing that I cant deal with. Within the last couple of weeks, my car has had problems shifting between 2nd and 3rd. It is an extremely rough transition (even in full automatic mode) and is getting me a little worried. The other problem I have is everytime I release the brake pedal, there is a "crumpling" sound. Theres a few possible causes for this but I wanted to see what you guys think. I know these topics have been discussed before, but I wanted to see if anyone has had their problems fixed. Thanks.
#1427 of 2862 Re: Does anyone install a Pioneer GPS AVEC-N1 [grahamb]
Dec 22, 2004 (10:19 pm)
Thanks for your reply. May you kindly tell me if you know the maker of the kit for custom audio system on mazda6? A website will do too. Thanks