Last post on Dec 06, 2013 at 7:20 AM
You are in the Prices Paid - Buying & Leasing Experiences
What is this discussion about?
Acura MDX, Car Buying, SUV
#9025 of 13266 Re: Acura 2010 vs. Acura 2009 [suharsh]
Nov 10, 2009 (8:08 am)
For the purchase of a $30,000 vehicle with 7% state sales tax, the taxpayer would receive a $2,100 tax deduction. The actual tax savings depends on the amount of sales and excise tax paid in your state and on your tax rate. Ask your dealer about your state's tax rates.
Keep in mind that its deduction not credit,,,
So if you are 15% tax bracket your savings are 0.15*2100=$315...
Thats just 300 on a 30K car...Is your time worth that much?
Also if you are living in a high state tax states like CA, NY, NJ and are making >80K and have a mortgage deduction then probability is VERY HIGH that you are subject to AMT...then no deduction for you!!!
I am not a CPA...but devil is in the details
I believe tax deduction should not be considered at all in a anything that is an expense.
For me if it is an expense it driven by two things
1) Passion and/or
This is what I would consider
1) Do you like the looks of 2010 or 2009 (Front grill is different)
2) New transmission for Acura. Are you OK with it? Last time when honda/acura went from 4 speed to 5 speed it was a disaster. Transmission failing at 65K to 70K miles. Go read threads on MDX/Accord/TL board regarding 2000/2001 transmission
3) How badly you need car now
4) Time value of money Vs. Timing of car buying
#9026 of 13266 Re: Acura 2010 vs. Acura 2009 [sanjaysdca]
Nov 10, 2009 (9:03 am)
I agree with sanjaysdca about the tax deduction. There are not too much we can get from tax deduction.
Does 2010 model has the same transmission for those in 2009? I heard about transmission problems about 2010 models as well.
#9027 of 13266 Looking for an MDX in Florida
Nov 10, 2009 (11:21 am)
Looking to buy an brand new MDX with tech package for 38-39K.Any good dealerships?
Nov 10, 2009 (1:16 pm)
I bought a 2009 base model MDX. I paid $36,900 plus tax, tag and title. The price also included the added accessories of back up rear sensors, roof rack with kayak carrier. I think I could have gotten the car with those options for $1,000 less. Any comments?
#9029 of 13266 Just bought MDX Tech/ENT
Nov 10, 2009 (1:21 pm)
2099 MDX Tech/Ent - paid 39647 + 810 Dest. + 290 TTL. No other dealer accessories. Any comments ?
Another question - should I buy extended warranties on MDX ? such as extra 4 year bumper-to-bumper from Acura Care. if so, what is good price ?
#9030 of 13266 2010 MDX- 6 speed Tranny
Nov 10, 2009 (2:03 pm)
Buyers of the new 2010 MDX should strongly consider a factory/dealer warranty on the tranny up to 100,000 miles. In fact, Honda/Acura should include this TRANSMISSION WARRANTY on all new '10 models with the 6 speed transmission. What better way to show the world you back up your products especially since Honda has a poor history with new transmissions?
I plan on negotiating the extended tranny warranty with the dealer. I really don't want to pay the rest of the extended warranty. I just want a $100-$200 transmission warranty.
Nov 10, 2009 (2:20 pm)
Well tax deduction cannot be 'the' consideration but if available why wouldn't one want know about it or wouldn't want to use it. I didn't know about the deduction, the dealer told me (Buick Enclave, which I didn't buy). The artcile showed to me by her was by Govt who anticipated an avg $330 back to the buyer. In my case, being in a higher tax bracket, the amount is decent.
#9032 of 13266 Re: picked up my new MDX tech this wknd [caprice2]
Nov 10, 2009 (4:32 pm)
White/parchment interior. I liked it the best.
Nov 11, 2009 (1:44 am)
There are some features on the 2010 that I really like. New hard drive Navi/music, cooled seats, standard power liftgate, 19" wheels but for what price / time wait vs just picking up a 09?
It seems like if I purchase a new 09, not only will it be approx 8k cheaper but lots of extras can get thrown in. (rails, roof rack, mats, etc?) A couple questions for you all:
1) 09 - What dealer "extras" should you get and at what costs?
2) 09 - If you new 09 today, do they give you the latest 10 Navi DVD disks?
3) 09 - You cannot get Sport with a Navi? (forgive my ignorance)
4) 10 - Best guest estimated release date in US? Why the delay?
I would love to just run down & pick up a 2010 Acura MDX Black/Black Tech & Advanced but wait till Jan/Feb & still pay MSRP+? ouch!
#9034 of 13266 Re: Canada [kyfdx] - Acura MDX incentives and purchase price
Nov 11, 2009 (8:02 am)
>> Those incentives are for Canada, not the US.. You can look up current incentives right here on Edmunds.com.
With all due respect, I don't think Edmunds is updated at all. Even my local acura dealer is willing to admit that they have incentives of more than 2k. Edmunds says that there are no incentives at all.
As I have always maintained, I don't know what the true incentives are, and the website I referenced earlier may be referring to incentives only to Canada. But we are intelligent enough to guess what is the true dealer cost in USA from prices that various buyers are getting and posting on this forum. It is extremely difficult to accept dealer's word or simple 'assurances' of people of other poster's on the board.
Here is a small compilation of purchases from this board:
1) kechal, purchase price= 39.5k; location : manchester, ct, when=9-Nov;
2) suharsh,purchase price= 38.7k, location =chicago, when: 7-Nov;
3) surfin,purchase price= 39.7k + 599 (destination?), location =jacksonville, when = 9-Nov;
1) sarav, purchase price= 41k location = pohanka, va, when = 7-Nov (likely deal was done prior to nov 4??);
2) ucar, purchase price= 39.6+810 (destination), location = ??, when = 10-Nov
1) lexluthor, purchase price= 34.1k, location =pohanka, va, when = 7-Nov, deal was done prior to nov 4
2) cplin, purchase price= 34.5k, location = naperville, ilwhen = 7-Nov;
3) michele19, purchase price= 36.9, location = ?? (Price included accessories such roof rack, kayak etc==> purchase price was in35.5k top 36k range;
Except for one all of them compare well with the price range that I had arrived at earlier after assuming that dealers are getting a 8500/- incentive (and not passing on to buyer's)
Base - 34k-35k
Sports/Ent - 42k-43k
Sports - 40k-41k
Tech - 38k-39k
Tech/Ent - 40k-41k
Assuming that none of these deals resulted in a loss to the dealers concerned, there are two additional things to notice
1) the incentives do not appear to end on 4 Nov as was discussed on the board
2) the incentives do not appear to be specific to some high-volume dealers such as Pohanka, VA dealer - it is all over the country
Congratulations to the above buyers for their great bargaining skills.
ucar, getting a tech/ent for 39.6+810 destination is a great deal. This number is almost identical to what I gave my dealer. Would you be willing to share the location and dealership of purchase ?