This discussion is ARCHIVED. To reactivate the discussion, post a request in the Lost In The Town Hall... discussion.
What is this discussion about? Sedan
Turns out the Vacamatic was a 4-speed. I think over the years, most people probably just called them all "fluid drive", even if the proper name may have been "vacamatic" at one time.
But wait there's more. In 1942, there was something called a "Simplimatic", that the website just describes as "a semi-automatic transmission combined with a fluid coupling". I don't really know what the difference is between all these though.
I'd also guess that the Fluid Drive's last year was around 1954. The Powerflite 2-speed automatic had been introduced in 1953, but was only available on Imperials that year. It was optional across the board for '54. I know in DeSotos, it was still technically optional in 1955, but I read somewhere that something like 99.6% of them had Powerflites that year. I guess the other 0.4% just had a 3-on-the-treee manual shift.