Last post on Mar 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM
You are in the Mazda RX-8
What is this discussion about?
Mazda RX-8, Coupe
#3438 of 3618 electrical malfunction
Dec 11, 2006 (7:52 am)
Yesterday, I had an electrical fire in my 2004 Mazda RX8. Needless to say, the car burned to the ground. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about electrical malfunctions in the RX8? Before anyone jumps on my case (as they did in RX8 forum), I am not a smoker, I didn't leave my car running, and I parked on ice (not a combustible object). I simply drove my car home, and 30 minutes later, the car was on fire! The fire dept said it was most likely caused from an electrical fire, but an investigation is pending. No foul play occurred. I was told that the user pathfinder had good advice! Thanks in advance.
#3439 of 3618 Re: electrical malfunction [rx8owner]: Pathstar
Dec 11, 2006 (7:58 am)
I meant Pathstar!
#3440 of 3618 Re: electrical malfunction
Dec 11, 2006 (9:51 am)
I've been fairly closely involved with the RX-8 since 2003, and I have never heard of any kind of electrical fires, in fact the power system seems to be one of the cars strong points.
Electrical problems would probably be caused by badly installed sound equipment, or poorly repaired wiring.
#3441 of 3618 Bummer....
Dec 11, 2006 (12:23 pm)
Sorry to hear about that. OTOH, in new engines, it's usually caused by fuel or oil leaks from failing gaskets or hoses. It could have happened while you were driving, so at least everyone is fine.
Plus, your insurance will throw in a chunk of money and NOT increase your rates as it's covered under comprehensive. Maybe get a used 2006 as a replacement?
#3442 of 3618 Re: electrical malfunction [rx8owner]
Dec 13, 2006 (7:29 am)
I'm not sure what I can add, other than it may not have been electrical. Did your car have all the recalls done? Some of them were to prevent fires and involved heat shields. I haven't seen any recalls related to electrical fires, but the ones for heat shields were fire related.
When driving the air rushing by the underside keeps an overheated part cooled enough the part of it that has started burning can't spread. When you stop the smoldering part can build up heat in the surrounding parts, eventually "bursting" into flame. The flame will then spread the fire.
#3443 of 3618 Re: electrical malfunction [rx8owner]
Dec 14, 2006 (8:05 pm)
I'm sorry to hear about your car. I was just researching the RX-8 and happened upon a TSB for cars built prior to 6/2005. It states that after the car is driven at "high rpm" and parked, the engine/ transmission/ exhaust can become hot enough to start a fire. Might want to check it out. Hope no one was hurt.
#3444 of 3618 Re: [SPYDER98]
Dec 23, 2006 (10:25 pm)
#3445 of 3618 anyone had the battery replaced ...
Jan 29, 2007 (11:32 am)
under the tsb? My car has been really slow to turn over since the weather turned cold and this morning, the battery pooped out - just dismal clicks when you turn the key.
I've known for a while it was destined for a new battery, but since I don't have to rely on it everyday, thought I would see how long it would last. About 15 degrees here today and I hadn't started it in over a week.
Anyway, anyone got the new battery? Can you tell a difference?
#3446 of 3618 Re: anyone had the battery replaced ... [lhess]
Jan 29, 2007 (8:04 pm)
I have only had one incident with the battery not cranking on the first try, but it was 6 degs outside. Once it fired (second try) it was OK, otherwise no problems.
#3447 of 3618 Re: anyone had the battery replaced ... [nergal_lv]
Jan 30, 2007 (7:11 am)
well, mine has been dying a slow death. Last week it was fairly cold and I decided to start it up and take a spin around the block just to warm him up and all, and it barely turned over. the cold weather paired with my short trips when I do start it, have probably done it in.
I'm gonna call my dealer to see if they'll replace it. Heaven only knows when I'll get it there - Rex doesn't have snow shoes and we've got lots of snow with more coming down. It's really not crucial other than I don't like not being able to start it once in a while.