Last post on Dec 05, 2013 at 12:05 PM
You are in the Sedans
What is this discussion about?
Chevrolet Malibu, Nissan Maxima, Mazda MAZDA3, Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Hyundai Elantra, Lexus IS 250, Acura TSX, Car Comparisons, Sedan
#1277 of 3637 Re: need help to choose a car! VW passat versus ...? [taxesquire]
May 12, 2006 (5:22 am)
thanks to you and sudyam. I thought about the issue some more and will go to a dealerstrip (multiple dealerships within a mile) to look at some cars. I've eliminated the passat because of reliability issues.. I'm not that concerned about premium anymore because assuming that premium is always 20 cents more at any time, with 10K miles per year at 25 miles per gallon, I would spend only $80 more per year for the premium. Right now, I'm considering the following, in no order:
1) certified pre-owned acura tsx (without navi) - can get one with 10K miles for $24,500. All the features for the buck, plus still gets good gas mileage. Does require premium.
2) toyota prius (yes, on the other extreme of the scale, but I have yet to check it out). Packages seem expensive, not to mention it is in high demand and is being sold at msrp, no chance of negotiation.
3) accord ex-l with/without navi - if only they could have done a better job with styling, I would have jumped on it.
4) I would check out the camry if I didn't already have a 2005 camry SE.
any others i should check out that would meet my priorities as listed in my previous post (1. gas mileage 2. reliability 3.styling/luxury) ? Thanks in advance!
May 12, 2006 (6:55 am)
I'm looking for dependability, spacious interior, large luggage space, above average crash test scores, descent fuel economy and a MSRP under 25000.
I've looked at ratings from Edmunds, IIHS, Fuel economy.com, Gov. crash tests, and JDPower.com. I've narrowed my selection to:
-Chevrolet Malibu Maxx
-Ford Five Hundred
They all excel in one thing or another, but I wanted to get other opinions. Thanks for responses!
#1279 of 3637 Choices choices
May 12, 2006 (7:22 am)
taxesquire, sounds like the certified TSX is the way to go. You like the car and it meets your criteria. If you really love the car you won't mind premium fuel. I have a Nissan Maxima and I wouldn't trade it for one that took regular fuel (for a second car, however, I am tempted to look at the Honda Fit).
luvmbooty, the bottom three on your rankings don't have that great a reliability or in the case of the 500, haven't been around very long to tell. In addition to those, you might look at a Buick. They tend to have huge trunks and interior room and have good reliability records.
#1280 of 3637 Re: Can't decide [luvmbooty]
May 12, 2006 (8:34 am)
The Maxx is very flexible in terms of interior setup, but the cargo space is not that big unless you either fold down the rear seats or remove the cargo shelf to allow cargo to "poke up" into the rear window line of sight.
The Maxx forum here has more details.
If you don't mind a ruff ride, the Maxx SS offers a pseudo-sports approach.
Be warned that Malibu and Maxx are having suspension and brake problems. Supposedly in Mid 2006 the suspension issue will be addressed.
Lastly, the Maxx has not been IIHS crash tested (only the Mailbu, which got a silver award provided you have curtain airbags).
#1281 of 3637 Re: Can't decide [luvmbooty]
May 12, 2006 (8:47 am)
"I'm looking for dependability"
Passat is in its first model year. None of the first year cars are synonymous with dependability.
#1282 of 3637 Re: Can't decide [kurtamaxxxguy]
May 12, 2006 (2:35 pm)
Can you guys help me to choose because I can't decide.
1. Acura 06 TL w/Navi ($34500 OTD)
2. Acura 07 TL w/Navi ($37000 probably Fall 06)
3. Acura RDX w/Navi ($375000 probably late Summer 06)
4. Infiniti 06 G35 w/Navi Sedan ($35000 OTD)
5. Infiniti 07 G35 w/Navi Sedan ($37000 probably Fall 06)
Which car is the best buy?
#1283 of 3637 Re: Can't decide [jlee6]
May 13, 2006 (5:13 am)
Questions for you:
1. On a scale of "not important, important, very important," how important is the luxury factor and how important is the sportiness factor?
2. Auto or manual transmission?
3. What's the RDX doing in this mix?
4. Does the '06/07 Infiniti have the same nav as the Infiniti M, or have they continued with the same nav that was in the prior year G35s?
#1284 of 3637 Re: Can't decide [jlee6]
May 15, 2006 (8:40 am)
I would take a G35 over a TL any day of the week.
The FWD TL's are undriveable when you hammer them, way too much torque steer.
I'm assuming that the 07 G35 price is plus TTL?
If so, the 06 is a better deal, plus interst rates are continuing to rise.
#1286 of 3637 Accord vs TSX vs Passat 2.0
May 15, 2006 (12:05 pm)
I am trying to decide between the Accord Coupe either V4 or V6, the Acura TSX and the VW Passat 2.0. Any advice and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks