Last post on Nov 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM
You are in the Cadillac Catera
What is this discussion about?
Cadillac Catera, Auto Repair, Sedan
#549 of 1436 Re: 2000 catera stalling [cannondalemtb]
Apr 11, 2008 (12:47 am)
A bad CKP definitely goes whacky when it gets warm. The deceleration part, I don't know. Maybe it just happen to be at the right temperature to malfunction while the car was decelerating a couple of times. Anyway, here is a link to another forum that will give you some insight to CKP problems and how to replace it with pics. I have the service manuals and will be happy to e the instructions to you if you still want them but like "sirmqc" says, the instructions and pics aren't always that clear. After you click on the following link, click on the second link down where it says "Sticky: 98 Catera Crankshaft Position Sensor........." and that will take you to "sirmqc"s comments and a bunch of useful info. Let me know that you can get to the link okay and whether or not you still want service manual info. Here's the link:
#550 of 1436 More Catera trans issues.....
Apr 13, 2008 (5:42 pm)
Hello gang, new to the group. Have a 97 Catera that will not shift, only gets 1 and rev. When it trys to shift to 2nd...nothing!! When I use the "snow" button it stills has nothing until I turn it off, then it grabs 1st. Trans doesn't slip in 1st or rev. Really appears to be electronics? Saw many trans issues here, but none with my problem. On a good note, had a 97 before that was a GREAT car. Believe it or not, 143,000 trouble free miles!! Didn't know how good I had it. Sold the car and wished I didn't! Just picked up another (bought it with this trans problem) and hoping for the best. I was a BMW tech for years in the late 80's, have owned many German cars, all were good. I do have a strange feeling about these cars....you have to drive them HARD, everyday. Thats what they like, thats what they were built for. WE (Americans) are to easy on them. Sounds strange I know, but it's what I saw at the dealership level for years. The one with the most problems were the ones that drove easy or not often (lots of lady drivers, sorry) No prove, just a thought... and my opinion!! Any help with the above trans problem would be great, if anyone has had the same thing happen. Thinking about that circuit board in the trans thing.... There are some good ones out there.....
#552 of 1436 Gear shift will not work
Apr 22, 2008 (7:44 am)
I need to know if anyone has had this problem and if so what was the solution...I wasn't able to put the car in Drive this morning, It starts up fine but refuses to shift into drive it is stuck in park...HELP PLEASE!
#553 of 1436 99catera water in oil & blows white smoke
Apr 17, 2008 (8:10 pm)
#554 of 1436 99catera water in oil & blows white smoke
Apr 17, 2008 (8:10 pm)
I just bought a 99 catera for my son. I was told by the person that I purchased it from that it needed a new oil cooler. But the dealer told me it had a transmission cooler leak. So I put in a new trans cooler in myself. Now I notice water in the oil. It's also blowing white/blue looking smoke out the exhaust. I'm thinking it still needs a oil cooler, but not sure about the smoke. Maybe a head gasket?
I also have water coming off the front of the motor but not sure where. I have already replaced the control valve. Any help with these problems would be helpful. thanks
#555 of 1436 Re: Gear shift will not work [diva36]
Apr 22, 2008 (9:49 am)
I would check the "Brake To Shift" switch to see if it is operating properly. To do this, get into your car, turn on the ignition but don't start the car. Tap the brake pedal and listen for a clicking sound coming from the gearshift and observe whether or not the "brake to shift" light on the dash panel goes out each time you tap the brake pedal. If you don't hear the clicking and/or the light doesn't go out when you tap the brake, the switch is not woking and needs to be replaced or bypassed. It is located above the brake pedal under the dash. Good luck.
#556 of 1436 Re: Gear shift will not work [gnguru]
Apr 22, 2008 (10:21 am)
Thanks I will try that when I get home from work....
#557 of 1436 Re: Gear shift will not work [gnguru]
Apr 22, 2008 (12:04 pm)
if you replace the brake stop light switch also replace the cruise control switch also it is right next to it or youll have to replace that switch very soon it happened to me and you will have to same exact problem with the shifter
#558 of 1436 99 catera, mult problems
Apr 24, 2008 (9:39 am)
I have a 99 catera with 90k miles and here is the list of probs I need help with (it's a long list cause it's a piece of crap car-but it was free)
1. Car won't start: for the past couple of months, after I have driven the car (usually >10 miles) and go back to start it again it will not start. I sounds like it is trying to turn over, but won't engage. Will keep trying to start it, and if the battery hold out long enough, it will usually start again after it has sat for about 20 minutes. It will then go a couple of days with no problem and then out of the blue won't start again. We thought that it was a starter issue-had it checked and it's okay. HELP!
2. Transmission light: While driving, the tranny light will come on and it seems like firts and second gears don't work, and you are starting in third. Starting from a complete stop, the car will go supper slow until about 30 mph and then is fine, until you start from a stop. If you turn the car off and then back on-the light goes away and runs great. The light has now started to come on after I start it and let it idle for a minute or two. Again, turn off the car and then back on-light goes off and no problem. HELP!
3. Check engine light: the engine light will come on, always with the same code P0411 and will stay on for a few days, then go off by itself. the guys at autozone all tell me that it is electrical?
4. Coolant leak: the stupid coolant light keeps coming on every couple of weeks, and we add more coolant, knowing that there has to be a leak somewhere-but never had any driveway drips-until two weeks ago. Now the stupid thing is dripping coolant from the left front end, kinda where the battery is. HELP
5. Burning oil?? Had gasket replaced 1 1/2 years ago cause the car was burning oil and smoking. For the last 9 months it smells like its burning oil, and will occasionally still smoke. Another gasket???
Please Help. Also if there are any good mechanics in Utah I would love to know who they are. I hate dealerships.