Last post on Apr 20, 2011 at 8:41 PM
You are in the Nissan Altima
What is this discussion about?
Nissan Altima, Sedan
#4152 of 4962 02 Maxima or new 03 Altima
Jan 13, 2003 (1:57 pm)
Just getting my money back from my Lemon (2001 Monte Carlo) and I am thinking about Nissan. I found a GREAT deal on a 2002 maxima loaded with 20k miles. Trying to decide between that and a new Altima. The Maxima is a smooth ride, but the 2.5 Altima feels very similar to my monte carlo. I am going to test drive a camry this week. I am holding back on the Maxima mainly because of the new design....what do you guys think??
#4153 of 4962 ashutoshsm
Jan 13, 2003 (5:01 pm)
I tried to drag/drop MP3 but it didn't work... Maybe I did something wrong... Thanks!
What version of Easy CD Creator do you have?
#4154 of 4962 What model is the Maxima, and what is the price...
Jan 14, 2003 (3:45 pm)
Also, what model Altima are you looking at. Personally it comes down to what you want.
Both will be fast and fun, but the Maxima will exceed the Altima in quality.
The Altima does look better IMO.
#4155 of 4962 02 Maxima or new 03 Altima
Jan 14, 2003 (4:59 pm)
Maxima is an SE. Has the alloy wheels, fog lights, spoiler and everything else that came w/that package.
Altima 2.5s and I guess I would add on abs for the additional 800. Would like fog lights too.
Jan 15, 2003 (8:52 pm)
u must have easy cd 4+ deluxe edition. otherwise you have to do what the other poster said. Try nero burning rom much better than easy cd imho.
#4157 of 4962 A two month report on 2003 3.5 SE
Jan 15, 2003 (9:00 pm)
After two months of having the Altima 3.5 SE here are my likes and dislikes:
Dislikes, in order of importance:
1) Engine noise when accelerating, even slightly. Its not really noisy (like the 2.5) but it is very noticeble.
2) A rumbling sound near the truck area when stopping. After I moved around in my seat while at a stop, I realized it was gas in the gas tank making the noise. Strange. I've never heard that in any other car I have ever owned.
3) A clicking sound (like hitting a window with the tip of your key) around the driver's window when I make a left turn. Body flex?
4) Although minor, the turn signal makes a hollow sound (like popping your tongue in your mouth).
5) Cheap center console latch. Its just a piece of plastic and will need replacing soon
6) Interior door panel scuffs easily.
Things I like about the car in order of how impressive it is:
1) The engine. The power. This car moves absolutely effortlessly. It just glides.
No lag at all. I am very impressed with the power and responsivness.
2) Handling. Handles like a sports car. It does not feel like a four door at all. I traded in a 95 Mazda MX 6 for this car, and there really is very little difference in handling, if any at all.
3) The interior, if you can beleive it. I have the new black interior (the one with stripes in the material instead of the dots) and I really like the look. Other people have committed as well that they like it. Out of the Camry, Accord, and the new Mazda 6, I like the feel, look, and layout better in the Altima hands down (although the door panels are a little cheap). The interior just seems, to me, to be sportier than any of the others. The Mazda 6's interior is of better quality materials, but I get a claustrophobic feel sitting in the front (The dash is just too high and squared off - it reminds me of a miniature Ford Taurus inside).
4)Sound system. For a stock sound system it sounds fairly good - and I like my music loud and clean with some bass. Of course, though, I'll be installing an amp and new speakers and a subwoofer later.
5)Steering wheel stereo controls. Very convenient. And I love it when my wife forgets about them as she tries to turn down the stereo as I'm driving. The sound just seems to never decrease. But, these controls limit the stereo head unit I can have, right (if I want to keep using them)?
6) All the little extras: auto window UP; dash computer that computes distance till empty, hours driven, outside temperature, and a little "ICY" indicator for icy conditions (below 37 deg); a deep and good size cup holder with rubber grips that actually hold the cup; Electric adjustable drivers seat with really good lumbar support (has actually helped my back).
Some things I've read about that I don't agree with: Torque in the steering wheel when accelerating - you have to REALLY get on it to feel it.
AC controls and Radio controls too similiar - you would have to be a complete idiot to confuse the two.
Wind or road noise - While there is some road noise compared to my wife's Avalon, it is still fairly quiet. I haven't notice any wind noise at all.
#4158 of 4962 #4157 A two month report
Jan 16, 2003 (5:45 am)
I have mine about 5 months now and agree with most of your "likes". There is a fix for your "gas in the gas tank making the noise." There is a Nissan Service Bulletin NTB02-103 which will fix the noise. I have experienced it as well and it only happens when the gas tank is totally full. The fix requires Nissan to remove the gas tank and install a "baffle" to prevent the sloshing of the gas. They will need to remove and re-install the tank, mufflers, and other parts to make the fix..I don't have a lot of confidence in any dealers service people to let them do such an extensive job without them creating more problems than the solve, so I am living with the rare occurance of this "sloshing" sound.
I do find the ride somewhat stiffer than any other car I have owned. Do you find the ride stiff as well. I would like to know since I have not really heard this as a complaint on any 3.5's...Other than that, I love the car.
#4160 of 4962 RE: A two month report on 2003 3.5 SE
Jan 16, 2003 (8:09 am)
Thanks for the informative post . . .
2 quick questions:
1.) manual or auto. trans.?
2.) typical gas mileage city / hwy?
Who finds sounds of sloshing fuel baffling (!)
#4161 of 4962 SMELL COME INTO MY CAR
Jan 16, 2003 (11:05 am)
Whenever I drive several miles I hace a smell that comes ino my car. It smells as though a plastic bag is burning. I checked under my car and I found a plastic shoPping bag attached to the
exhaust pipe. I took it off 2 weeks ago and the smell is still there. Anyone with this problem?
Have an 02 2.5S Altima !9,000 MILES.