Last post on Oct 02, 2012 at 9:48 AM
You are in the Land Rover
What is this discussion about?
Land Rover Freelander, SUV
#695 of 1535 Getting rid of my Freelander
Jun 15, 2003 (4:21 pm)
This seems to be a pretty dead msg board..much like my car...but FYI for anyone.
I have a 2002 SE Freelander, fully loaded. I am getting rid of it. I have had more problems with it both in maint & service. Here are some things I have learned from LR:
1. If you buy the FL, you will be considered 2nd class by LR b/c you did not buy the RR or Disco.
2. If you move or have to use another dealership you WILL NOT get a loaner.
3. The A/C is poor & does not cool interior well, don't buy this car if you live in a desert climate!
4. Check your A/C coolan res., it may be cracked.
5. Brake lights are poorly designed
6. Ever 15-20k you will need entirely new front brakes (pads & rotors.. cost $500 - using HDC will make the service on this even sooner)
7. The drivers seat will squeak, the sunroof shade will rattle & the passenger door will rattle if you have the upgraded HK sound system.
8. Service bays are not open on the weekends
9. Radiator not well protected, small road hazard can damage it. New radiator cost: $800-$1000
It's a shame. I loved this car & had loved Land Rover. Now I can't get rid of the thing fast enough & will never own another LR again.
If you bought this car & love it.. good for you & I hope you keep loving it & don't have the problems I encountered. If you haven't bought it yet & are thinking about it.. well... I'd keep thinking.
#697 of 1535 Tincup, can you check a VIN?
Jul 29, 2003 (11:59 am)
I just purchased a factory demo and wanted to see if you could check to make sure there were no issues? Last 8 of the VIN are 3A242739.
Thanks a bunch!
Jul 29, 2003 (1:57 pm)
There is no history of any issues with this vehicle.
Jul 30, 2003 (8:12 am)
Great, thanks a ton, Tincup! BTW, I am a former Liberty owner (yes, sounds like an AA meeting) and agree that the FL is TONS more refined!
Aug 20, 2003 (10:20 am)
Recently purchased an '02 FL S. It was a loaner at Land Rover Marin in San Rafael, CA. Excellent condition. Bought it for $17,999 and popped for a leather upgrade and full length roof rack.
The rig drives rather well for a SUV of any type. Power is, well, adequate, but not unexpected.
Anyone out there performed or know of any successful engine mods for horsepower/torque increase?
Aug 26, 2003 (9:53 pm)
Let me clear up some things here regarding to British cars' reliability. Some people think that British cars are the worst European vehicles. Guess what, even though British cars are known for poor reliabilty, according to J.D. Powers survey, French cars (Peugeot and Renault) are the worst European cars of all in terms for reliability. Well at least some Land Rover drivers should be grateful to see that they are not driving the worst European vehicle.
#702 of 1535 TC & HD Warning lights
Aug 29, 2003 (11:14 am)
I have had these 2 warning lights coming on frequently, and they tend to reset after ignition has been cycled. This has been happening on my '02 FL S since 5k. Dealer has tried numerous times and the lastest visit was 2 weeks ago. Now it started 2 days ago the 2 warning lights simply stay on constantly. My local dealer can only accept the vehicle on 9/11, so what do I do in the meantime?
BTW, this is to be sold, I just want to make it look decent.
#704 of 1535 Thanks Ron
Sep 15, 2003 (12:18 am)
The problem was caused by a faulty brake switch (seems like it's on national backorder). In any case, it's fixed for now & I'm disposing the vehicle.