Last post on May 04, 2013 at 1:02 PM
You are in the Jaguar X-Type
What is this discussion about?
Jaguar X-Type, Sedan
#2502 of 2594 Potential Jag Buyer
Dec 15, 2007 (7:42 am)
Hi, Im currently looking for a luxury sedan ...Ive always been a fan of the BMW 740 Sport but have heard and read some bad things about those cars as far as reliability and cost of repair. Ive recently been looking at Jaguars (specifically the X Type) because I love the classic lines and styling of these smaller versions. Im just not sure how reliable these cars are ....I assume quality has improved since Ford took over and these cars were mass produced but I have questions . If any one could recommend on the following choices or answer the following questions I would be hugely appreciative.
1. 2.5 litre vs. 3.0 litre - does either have more problems.
2. Transmission - Automatic vs. Standard... is either more reliable? Ive heard of some drivetrain issues with these... does this happen alot or does the XType have about the same reliability of other cars. Are tranny issues do largely to clutches or much more indepth issues.
3. High mileage ok? - Im looking for something with 50-80K miles on it. BMWs are usually pretty solid for high mileage... do xtypes compare? are there any 200K mile jags out there?
4. Years - any years I should stay away from? I heard 02 and 03 were not very good years with those cars having problems that were worked out in years 2004-2007 models.
5. Cold weather reliability - I live in Canada so this is essential. I have a 98 Ford Escort that always starts in subzero temps... can I expect this from an Xtype or is it made for Mild weather. I love the fact it is AWD so this is a big plus over a RWD 740i.
6. Alternatives - If you cant recommend the Xtype, can anyone recommend an alternative mid size luxury car. Ive heard alot of horror stories about BMWs as of late and Audis... can anyone recommend anything else? Are any other Jag models better?
#2503 of 2594 Re: Potential Jag Buyer [spanky10]
Dec 15, 2007 (7:56 am)
I have had my 03 X-type since it was brand new, I have never had any problems with her at all I have the 3.0 auto. She will hit 130 mph and gets about 27 MPG on the open road... Just my 2 cents
#2504 of 2594 Potential Jag Buyer
Dec 16, 2007 (8:09 am)
Thanks for that. Im feeling a bit better about potentially buying an X Type... I was just over in the BMW 740 postings... What a disaster!
Is yours a sport package 3.0?
Dec 16, 2007 (8:31 am)
Nope its not a Sport. But this is one of the best cars I have ever owned, Just got thru putting on a Cold Air Intake and A new Borla Exhaust, It will get up and go now even more ! And the way it drives it feels like a go cart the way it sticks to the road. Good luck on your pick there mate
#2506 of 2594 Where can I find a picture of.....
Jan 19, 2008 (1:39 pm)
Hey ya'll! I'm trying to find a picture of a 1967 boss jaguar convertible. There are only a few out there in the world and no one can even direct me in the right direction to find a picture of it on the internet. If any of you know where I can find this could you please let me know. Thank you,
#2507 of 2594 Stereo System
Jan 21, 2008 (8:41 am)
Hey everyone I am trying to find out what is the best way to put a after-market stereo touch screen in my 03 Jaguar X-Type. I cant find anyone that is willing to do it because they say something about a face plate or bracket that hasn't been structured for it. Can someone please help me????????? As you can tell I dont know much about cars but would appreciate it if someone could lead me into the right direction. Thanks!
#2508 of 2594 is my Jag turning well Yellow?
Jan 22, 2008 (9:08 pm)
Lemon yellow that is
My Xtype is 2003 with 21k mi (i call mysel pampering it) I keeps it garaged at nights but anyway I...
Replace the battery, myself I changed it while the car was on running so I wouldn't throw off the computer but anyway a day or two later one of the HID headlamp turned pink and dim for a week, then a dim blue then only a flicker when I turn on the lamps then out.
I puts only 92 octane gas in it and use full synthetic oil. ...93 is unavailable in this area.
on below freezing days the washer solution don't work at all, the blades will wipe, but not even the pump motor makes a sound.
Lastly the engine light came on yesterday night, and hasn't went off. remember this is a 5 yr old car with only 21,000 miles.
#2509 of 2594 Re: is my Jag turning well Yellow? [jaguarnaut]
Jan 24, 2008 (4:45 pm)
Re: Windshield washer fluid : Are you using Winter washer fluid, and did you put it in in time?
#2510 of 2594 Just bought a Jag...
Feb 04, 2008 (2:37 pm)
I just bought a 2003 X-Type 3.0 Saturday, and absolutely love it. I've always wanted a Jag since I was old enough to get interested in cars. Every car except one I've ever had up to this point have been V-8, rear wheel drive Fords/Mercurys, and this little 3-liter Jag will outrun all of them. Absolutely gorgeous car. Now, I have to put new tires on them, as the front and rears are mismatched, and Iv'e heard this is bad for the AWD system. Oh, well. Goes with the territory I guess.
#2511 of 2594 '03 X-Type Suspension Mods
Feb 05, 2008 (12:15 pm)
I've got an '03 X-type, 2.5l V6 non-sport edition and I've been looking to do a suspension drop 1-1.4" using the Eibach Pro-Kit springs, but I can't seem to locate any information regarding the proper shocks/struts I should replace my existing stock ones with in order to acommodate the Eibach springs. Info on this topic seems to be awfully scarce. Bilstein tells me to call Eibach and Eibach tells me to call Bilstein, etc. I just need to know if anyone in this forum has done this to their X-Type and what your recommendations are. Thanks.